ADVERTISEMENT

Dominant defensive performance.

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
Man was that fun. The Utah fans may have outnumbered us by a bit but the NU crowd was quite lively. I led a fair number of cheers but everyone there was more than ready to participate and make noise. It’s easy to get fired up and support a defense that plays like that.

Basically starting in Q2 when we got up 7-0, I kept saying repeatedly to my friends like a mantra “if they don’t score, they can’t beat us.” Well they did score once but we got in the end zone twice. Honestly it felt like we should have won by more. The busted series after the 2nd Jaheem Joseph pick (his mom was a few rows in front of us, went up and said thanks to her at halftime, it was awesome), plus a punt on 4th and inches from their 40? But who cares. If they can’t score, they won’t beat us. 5 sacks, 8 TFLs, 2 picks, 1 fumble. That was smothering defense and I loved it. Our DL was in his face all day, and we sent pressure a fair amount too.

Ben Bryant was under pressure a lot too, but he opportunistically made big plays. Cam Johnson, Bryce Kirtz, AJ Henning all stepped up. Great crew of wideouts. Porter and Tyus ground out the tough yards against a box that was stacked with 7-8 guys and single high safety all night. O Line wasn’t perfect but they acquitted themselves decently overall against a very good DL.

But back to that defense. Everyone played (unlike a lot of other teams), and everyone came to play. A true team effort. The two picks for Jaheem were massive. Garnett Hollis was lockdown, he doesn’t need any safety help and I think is gonna play on Sundays. Devin Turner and Rod Heard flying all over the field making plays and helping in run support. Sean McLoughlin had maybe his best game as a Wildcat? Kenny Soares was a beast as well. And then the depth of our DL, swapping hockey lines in and out, with Hagerty Bastone and Anto Saka all getting a sack too. Our defense was the best unit on that field all day.

Thanks to all the boys for fighting all year and thanks to Coach Braun for a fantastic turnaround job. We went 1-0 yesterday and finished the season with 4 straight W’s against Wisconsin Purdue Illinois Utah. Heck of a performance, very proud of the Cats.

GO CATS

(PS fire Schill fire Gragg)

The turnaround by our defense, after what was witnessed the past two years, is nothing short of miraculous. Our DL dominated the Utah OL. LB’s were flying around with X Mueller stripping the ball to stop a drive, secondary coming up with some great plays especially the Hollis pass breakup to finish the game, just solid all around. I was just amazed and impressed by our D all night.

The turnaround by our defense, after what was witnessed the past two years, is nothing short of miraculous. Our DL dominated the Utah OL. LB’s were flying around with X Mueller stripping the ball to stop a drive, secondary coming up with some great plays especially the Hollis pass breakup to finish the game, just solid all around. I was just amazed and impressed by our D all night.
Shows what having a descent DC can mean. Fitz made a great hire there and on DL

The turnaround on defense and position discipline this year was a credit to Braun. One small limiting note on yesterday’s excellent performance was that the Cats were fortunate Jackson could not return after getting dinged. Power backs gave them fits all year, and it looked to me like he was starting to get consistent positive gains when he had to leave the game.

For those of us that weren't fans or alums back in '95, this past season was probably the closest thing we'll ever see in terms of how unexpected the success was.

The way the players and coaches came together was remarkable.

The way Bryant put his body on the line to finish the mission was just incredible (along with all the contributions from the rest of the team).

I'm glad you mentioned all the other players because in a tight one score game wire-to-wire, every contribution matters.

Past season was a rollercoaster from start to finish, but I'm a believer.

Unfortunately, Fitz made a very poor hire with the guy before Braun. It will always be a head-scratcher what he saw in that guy.
I think he saw the recruiting improvement and felt with the rest of the staff in place it would work its way out. He (JON) was a descent recruiter

Unfortunately, Fitz made a very poor hire with the guy before Braun. It will always be a head-scratcher what he saw in that guy.
And now we end up with McGarigle who he could have chosen in the first place

Last edited:
Man was that fun. The Utah fans may have outnumbered us by a bit but the NU crowd was quite lively. I led a fair number of cheers but everyone there was more than ready to participate and make noise. It’s easy to get fired up and support a defense that plays like that.

I was sitting next to a Washington fan who was there rooting for the Pac-12. When it was 7-0 at halftime I said "Utah was not prepared to get into a B1G West game" and he laughed and said he was not looking forward to playing us next year. I admit I don't like our chances in Seattle but it was a nice thing to say.

Just a delightful experience. Loved the stadium, loved the game, loved the outcome.

I really thought Jaheem Joseph might get MVP.
I think the way Bryant got concussed and then came back and made those 3 big plays down the stretch for the TD pretty much sealed it.

Might've been close before that, but the way it all unfolded pretty much made Bryant a lock.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
It was a beautiful sight to see for sure. It was familiar.

Not sure it was miraculous. Unless you’re classifying getting rid of JON a miracle. Feels like the D is just back to normal, what we have become accustomed to. All was made right in the world (at least on defense).

Time now to get an offense to match.

I think the way Bryant got concussed and then came back and made those 3 big plays down the stretch for the TD pretty much sealed it.
Arent players who are concussed supposed to stay out?

Arent players who are concussed supposed to stay out?
He was put in the concussion protocol, the medical staff ran him through all the tests, and then they allowed him to return.

He was in there for a good 10 minutes getting looked over.

He looked perfectly fine to me while pacing back and forth on the sideline running quick sprints after though obviously that doesn't mean anything.

It wasn't until after around 10 minutes that the equip manager gave him his helmet back.

He passed the tests, so I don't see how the medical staff could have kept him out, he clearly wanted to return and had passed all the protocols.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT