ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Players in the Portal

You can't just drop that here like that. Is this real?
540oo3.jpg

Reactions: NU Houston
Number of players going into the portal is slowing down. While the number of players committing to new schools is now growing fast.

Takeaways from the last few days for me:
1) Maryland is building a nice roster, should be a force to be reckoned with
2) The number of players in the portal represents over 25% of available scholarships (357 teams x 13 scholarships/team). That's staggering to me.

Happy Easter

Reactions: NJCat
Slow day at work so, for absolutely no reason, here are 3 teams composed of B1G players in the portal. In no particular order. That's a lot of quality players.

TEAM 1
1) Marcus Carr
2) Armaan Franklin
3) Miller Kopp
4) Race Thompson
5) Myles Johnson

Bench
Jacob Young
Rocket Watts
Nate Reuvers
Tre Williams
------------------------------------------

TEAM 2
1) Jamal Mashburn Jr.
2) Al Durham
3) Teddy Allen
4) Aaron Wheeler
5) Liam Robbins

Bench
Myreon Jones
Jamari Wheeler
Jack Nunge
Yvan Ouedeaogo
------------------------------------------

TEAM 3
1) Darryl Morsell
2) Adam Miller
3) Gabe Kalscheur
4) Seth Lundy
5) John Harrar

Bench
Myreon Jones
Montez Mathis
Mamadou Dacoure
Anthony Gaines

With 2 players withdrawing their names from the portal, Trayce Jackson-Davis deciding to stick around and the addition of Xavier Johnson, Indiana is coming back from the dead. Arguably to be better than last year.

With 2 players withdrawing their names from the portal, Trayce Jackson-Davis deciding to stick around and the addition of Xavier Johnson, Indiana is coming back from the dead. Arguably to be better than last year.
And Archie is addition by subtraction......

Reactions: GatoLouco
Undie is losing the team.
I think Miller will be back. Who else is he losing? Ayo, of course. Giorgi is going to play professionally in Europe. He hasn’t seen his mom in two years. He’s been replaced by 6-10 Florida transfer Omar Payne. Payne was ranked on spot higher than Kofi in high school.

Pretty sure Kofi will put his name in to get evaluated but he is not on the draft boards so he should return. Always a chance he doesn’t but they expect him back.

Going to add a good player in the portal. Curbelo has a chance to be the best point guard in the league. Austin Hutcherson is a 6-6 guard who was injured this year and missed the whole season. Would have been a big part of this year’s team. Best pro prospect on the team. Best shooter and athlete with a 42 inch vertical. Good chance Damonte Williams returns. Team was 16-2 with Jacob Grandison starting. 6-11 freshman Coleman Hawkins will get more time this year at the four.

Adding 6-7 Luke Goode and 6-7 RJ Melendez and likely this week 6-5 Brandin Podziemski, Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin and the nation’s second leading high school scorer at 35 a game.

Things aren’t so bad at Illinois.

Reactions: ThirdCoast
I think Miller will be back. Who else is he losing? Ayo, of course. Giorgi is going to play professionally in Europe. He hasn’t seen his mom in two years. He’s been replaced by 6-10 Florida transfer Omar Payne. Payne was ranked on spot higher than Kofi in high school.

Pretty sure Kofi will put his name in to get evaluated but he is not on the draft boards so he should return. Always a chance he doesn’t but they expect him back.

Going to add a good player in the portal. Curbelo has a chance to be the best point guard in the league. Austin Hutcherson is a 6-6 guard who was injured this year and missed the whole season. Would have been a big part of this year’s team. Best pro prospect on the team. Best shooter and athlete with a 42 inch vertical. Good chance Damonte Williams returns. Team was 16-2 with Jacob Grandison starting. 6-11 freshman Coleman Hawkins will get more time this year at the four.

Adding 6-7 Luke Goode and 6-7 RJ Melendez and likely this week 6-5 Brandin Podziemski, Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin and the nation’s second leading high school scorer at 35 a game.

It was sarcasm.

Reactions: flight 33

What makes you think Miller will be back? I don't doubt you, and I don't follow Illini hoops that closely, but has there been news as to why he entered the portal and why he would be considering coming back?

They never are in your world ... even when they are sort of bad. Whenever I read your posts (and this probably goes back at least 10 years), I always think, "Damn, Illinois is going to win another national championship!"

... "Damn, Illinois is going to win another national championship!"
"Another?" Doesn't that imply there was a first one?

I know some of you have a Combes issue, but I'm ok with him. He always seems reasonably. But of course, I almost never read the football board.

OTOH, I have a longtime issue with the Illini fan base in general. And I'm happy to say my psychosis was somewhat legitimized by a recent Jeff Goodman Tweet ...

"Another?" Doesn't that imply there was a first one?

I know some of you have a Combes issue, but I'm ok with him. He always seems reasonably. But of course, I almost never read the football board.

OTOH, I have a longtime issue with the Illini fan base in general. And I'm happy to say my psychosis was somewhat legitimized by a recent Jeff Goodman Tweet ...

I don't have a problem with him. He has some good insights, particularly on Illinois high school players. He has just always been able to spin whatever is happening with the Illinois basketball program in a very positive light. Based on his posts through the years, I am pretty sure Illinois has won at least 3 or 4 national championships this century with all of the great players and brilliant coaches they have had. I haven't confirmed that, though. Oddly, you don't hear as much from him on football.

Nunge transferring to Xavier. Surprised to see him go especially with Garza graduating. Iowa's gonna be a real small team next year unless they pull someone out of the transfer portal or find some late recruits. Only 1 guy on the roster over 6'8".

Kalscheur going to Iowa State as Jalen Coleman-Lands transfers again for the 3rd time from Iowa State.

Miller Kopp's little brother is coming to play football at Houston this Fall. Perhaps Miller will join him at Houston and be a part of next year's deep NCAA tourney run. Possibly even Houston's 7th Final Four!!!

Ben Johnson is having an interesting transfer period. He's received commitments from players from Willian & Mary, Northern State (?), Lafayette, George Washington and New Hampshire. These may turn out to be diamonds in the rough. But odds are........

Whoops. Meant to post to The Rock. But Malik is transferring to MSU to play both basketball and football. I think he's a SF.
Power player with a strong midrange game, IIRC. Not sure how his game will translate to college

Ben Johnson is having an interesting transfer period. He's received commitments from players from Willian & Mary, Northern State (?), Lafayette, George Washington and New Hampshire. These may turn out to be diamonds in the rough. But odds are........
Add Charleston. 6 players. All mid majors

If there is a Liam Robbins or two in there, he might be okay. Robbins has gone to Vandy. This new transfer rule is the wild, wild west for coaches, and there are lots of good players out there.

Wow, C.J. Fredrick of Iowa is in the portal.........
Sounds like he might be headed to Kentucky. In fact, there is some smoke that this has been in the works since during the season--which has Iowa folks up in arms about potential rules violations. Fran McCaffrey's announcement of the transfer was a bit, er, terse.

Sounds like he might be headed to Kentucky. In fact, there is some smoke that this has been in the works since during the season--which has Iowa folks up in arms about potential rules violations. Fran McCaffrey's announcement of the transfer was a bit, er, terse.
John Calipari being linked to sketchy recruiting practices...never!

Reactions: chaneccooms
Here's a story from a KY paper......

MSU's Kithier to Valpo and Foster Loyer enters the portal, raising the question that if someone enters the portal and nobody cares, does that player exist?

ADVERTISEMENT