ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Players in the Portal

Did Johnson play for KoN?
Yes, his Freshman year. Team went 5-25. Ben was the leading scorer at 11.6 ppg. Odd fact: The top 9 scorers were either FR or SO. Only one upperclass man on the team: Jeff Eschmeyer. O'Neil managed to run everyone else off. What a douche.

Reactions: EagerFan
Yes, his Freshman year. Team went 5-25. Ben was the leading scorer at 11.6 ppg. Odd fact: The top 9 scorers were either FR or SO. Only one upperclass man on the team: Jeff Eschmeyer. O'Neil managed to run everyone else off. What a douche.
Yes. This is true. But if I recall correctly, didn't we (NU) beat Minn the following year when Johnson actually played for the gophers? I think we did. That minn team wasn't all that great with johnson playing for them. Right?? But I guess johnson got the coaching gig for them now, so it may have been worth the transfer. Was that why he transferred? Would we be better off with ccc or Johnson as our head coach now?? Especially if bjohn was an nu grad?? I guess time will tell??

Indiana reloads pretty quickly.

Prediction, when this all shakes out we are going to be picked, by the experts, ahead of:
-Minnesota
-Penn State
-Nebraska

We'll debate why we are not picked ahead of Rutgers or even Illinois and Wisconsin.

ESPN+ ranked the top 100 transfers for 2021. Miller Kopp wasn't one of them.

So what does that mean, really?
Kopp played more minutes than anybody on our roster this year.
Did "we" overestimate his ability?
Did he simply fail to improve during his time at NU?
Was our roster that bad?

If Nance, Young or possibly Buie had entered the portal, wouldn't each of them be in the top 100 transfers?

Was our roster that bad?

If Nance, Young or possibly Buie had entered the portal, wouldn't each of them be in the top 100 transfers?
Maybe Nance.

Was our roster that bad?

Yes, our roster needs more talent.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I hope someone does an analysis of the outcome of the portal this year. It appears to me so many lower level players are in the portal that will land nowhere. So many mid major players with 2 pt averages. Will they be out of a scholarship? Were they not on a scholarship to begin with?

I hope someone does an analysis of the outcome of the portal this year. It appears to me so many lower level players are in the portal that will land nowhere.
Im also wondering if this will be the normal. Or does this year's portal have a very pandemic slant to it?

Did more players than normal end up disliking their experience because it wasn't the usual campus atmosphere? Also, did the players and coaches make more poor choices because relationships were not formed in the usual ways.

I think we may see the effects of pandemic recruiting in the class of '21 also.

Reactions: loyolacat
Only 6 of the 57 B1G players in the portal don't have a destination yet.

Marquette landed a solid transfer in Darryl Morsell from Maryland. The same day they lost one of the best freshmen in the country to the portal.

Kofi Cockburn officially in the portal...
I'm no Illinois fan, but that sucks. I hope college basketball doesn't become like the NBA where the stars all try to join up on the same team. I also hope it doesn't become like college football where the same teams are in the final four every year.

I also hope it doesn't become like college football where the same teams are in the final four every year.

In CFB it is like that because they are simply taking the 4 best regular season teams and that's it. In college hoops, the best teams often don't make the Final Four even if they are loaded with talent because they need to win 4 games at least 3 of which are often against tough opponents. The #1 overall seed in the tourney is only roughly 50/50 to make the Final Four in any given year.

I'm no Illinois fan, but that sucks. I hope college basketball doesn't become like the NBA where the stars all try to join up on the same team. I also hope it doesn't become like college football where the same teams are in the final four every year.
7 playoffs so far...
Alabama and Clemson 6 appearances
Oklahoma and Ohio State 4 appearances
Notre Dame 2
Florida State, Washington, Oregon, Georgia, LSU, Michigan State each 1

In each of the last 6 playoffs, three of the teams have been Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma or Clemson.
In the last 6 years, 9 of the 12 slots in the title game have been either Clemson (4) or Alabama (5).

And to make matters worse, it forces me to root for Ohio State on occasion.

Smart move (pun intended). Have you seen the transfers into Minny? Ben is going to have a looooong season......
For sure. And the kid who they were most excited about, Parker Fox (averaged 22 and 10 in DII) tore his ACL one week after transferring. Last week, another dude, Isaiah Ihnen also tore his ACL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT