ADVERTISEMENT

Back to the hopeful: ways the team could still improve this year

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
A lot of discussion this year has focused on the absence of a point guard. It has seemed to me that one other problem the team has had focuses around physical strength on the frontline against some teams. Pardon is an excellent player, but more of a quick center with long arms rather than a physical rock. One step down since the tournament team was the result of Lumpkin’s graduation. It always seemed to me he was a good complement to Pardon, who could both defend a physically strong opponent and help box on both boards. He could also absorb some fouls.

My question to those who have had a closer view of the team is whether there is a player who could take some minutes as a strong forward, hold space in rebounding, take a foul or two, and improve the interior defense and rebounding against those conference teams that are more physical inside. Kopp seems to me to be the best candidate for the role, but I don’t get to see the team in person.

Nance has the most untapped potential on the team, as well as the most size to help out defensively. His length has bothered teams on the perimeter on multiple occasions (that may not be visible on TV because they're not always on the ball), and he's forced some easy turnovers for fast break points that we desperately need. He's also got the ability to hit jump shots, including 3s, though some of his attempts have been ugly.

As soon as he adjusts to the speed at this level and figures out where he needs to be, he will be a beast who can contribute across the board. He represents the biggest opportunity for growth this year and moving forward.

Gaines has the skills and the strength, but like Lumpkin he doesn't have the height. You can see him stop guys at times who then just shoot over him - I think that was a big problem at the MSU game for example.

I agree that Kopp looks like the best prospect in terms of size and strength, but he'll need to develop much better footwork and awareness to get there.

Nance has the most untapped potential on the team, as well as the most size to help out defensively. His length has bothered teams on the perimeter on multiple occasions (that may not be visible on TV because they're not always on the ball), and he's forced some easy turnovers for fast break points that we desperately need. He's also got the ability to hit jump shots, including 3s, though some of his attempts have been ugly.

As soon as he adjusts to the speed at this level and figures out where he needs to be, he will be a beast who can contribute across the board. He represents the biggest opportunity for growth this year and moving forward.

Based on what I've seen he may end up being the most talented kid to play at NU so far. Personally I think he needs to play more. He makes mistakes and then Collins seems to sour on him where I think some of that should just be accepted due to the upside.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Based on what I've seen he may end up being the most talented kid to play at NU so far. Personally I think he needs to play more. He makes mistakes and then Collins seems to sour on him where I think some of that should just be accepted due to the upside.
I haven't seen Pete in person. What I've watched from my comfy couch is pretty underwhelming though. Not particularly quick afoot, not a banger, not a pure shooter, seems very robotic. I am hoping he makes the same sort of jump in his second year that Gaines made this year.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I haven't seen Pete in person. What I've watched from my comfy couch is pretty underwhelming though. Not particularly quick afoot, not a banger, not a pure shooter, seems very robotic. I am hoping he makes the same sort of jump in his second year that Gaines made this year.

Same here. I think much of the heralding comes from the gene pool. Since he didn’t get a bunch of high level competition earlier, and his family seemingly didn’t push the weight room or 247 b-ball, it’s a matter of whether he has a genetic disposition needing development.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT