ADVERTISEMENT

Bajakian suing the university for defamation

Not a lawyer, but I thought he was trying to claim that NU's handling of the case has caused him reputational damage that prevents his being hired elsewhere, not that his contract at NU wasn't renewed. I don't think he has a leg to stand on there, either.

That's the part I don't understand in all this. Assuming your employer publicly damaged your reputation but nevertheless honored their employment contract, why does that give them a "get out of jail free" card? It seems to me that the actions are unrelated.

Not a lawyer, but I thought he was trying to claim that NU's handling of the case has caused him reputational damage that prevents his being hired elsewhere, not that his contract at NU wasn't renewed. I don't think he has a leg to stand on there, either.
Yeah I posted a fuller response just above yours.

That's the part I don't understand in all this. Assuming your employer publicly damaged your reputation but nevertheless honored their employment contract, why does that give them a "get out of jail free" card? It seems to me that the actions are unrelated.
It doesn't; it would just be a part of the university's affirmative defenses (i.e. that any damage to Bajakian's reputation or employment status was due to performance rather than what Bajakian's pointing to; as well as that he was never specifically mentioned and nobody else is suing who could have similar claims of being defamed -i.e. MacPherson).

Last edited:
Reactions: techtim72
Yeah I posted a fuller response just above yours.

It doesn't; it would just be a part of the university's affirmative defenses (i.e. that any damage to Bajakian's reputation or employment status was due to performance rather than what Bajakian's pointing to; as well as that he was never specifically mentioned and nobody else is suing who could have similar claims of being defamed -i.e. MacPherson).
He was not mentioned, but his picture wearing the shirt was plastered in many media outlets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT