ADVERTISEMENT

Bears Job Open!!!!

It's definitely your best hope of Fitz leaving. And I don't think it's unrealistic that they'll consider him. Whether he'd have any success in the NFL, that's difficult to handicap. If he does go, Liam Coen is a name you might hear. I'd prefer Tom Herman or Nebraska's DC Chinander.

It's definitely your best hope of Fitz leaving. And I don't think it's unrealistic that they'll consider him. Whether he'd have any success in the NFL, that's difficult to handicap. If he does go, Liam Coen is a name you might hear. I'd prefer Tom Herman or Nebraska's DC Chinander.

Not this cycle.

Reactions: phatcat
Not this cycle.
Fitz is going to turn down a Bears job he's come to genuinely want, because it would leave NU having to hire his successor in a competitive/expensive head coaching market? I don't buy that.

It wouldn't happen regardless but given recent hiring trends in NFL, Fitz is probably considered too old.

Fitz is going to turn down a Bears job he's come to genuinely want, because it would leave NU having to hire his successor in a competitive/expensive head coaching market? I don't buy that.

I’m saying the Bears are unlikely to want to hire Fitz this cycle.

Reactions: corbi296
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think the NFL and Coach Fitz are a bad fit from both sides. If I was an NFL team, I wouldn't hire him for a head coaching job, and if I was Fitz, I wouldn't take one if offered.

Reactions: corbi296
I’m saying the Bears are unlikely to want to hire Fitz this cycle.
I think Fields having been recruited by, and actually showing interest in NU very early in his recruitment, makes it more likely they consider Fitz than pre-JF.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The Bears need a coach to develop Fields into the franchise QB that everyone hopes he will be.Agree with GCG the timing is not right this time.

I think Fields having been recruited by, and actually showing interest in NU very early in his recruitment, makes it more likely they consider Fitz than pre-JF.

Every school in the country recruited Justin Fields. Not exactly a unique situation. If the Bears wanted to go the college route, then a Ryan Day reunion would make a ton more sense.

I think they Bears will (and should) focus on guys with NFL experience developing young QBs. Think Brian Daboll, etc.

Reactions: pnt16
Every school in the country recruited Justin Fields. Not exactly a unique situation. If the Bears wanted to go the college route, then a Ryan Day reunion would make a ton more sense.
Why would Ryan Day be interested in this dumpster fire? If I were him I'd use a written Bears offer as toilet paper.

Fitz knows Chicago and can be a good face for the franchise and what the brand is when the Bears are successful. Then you hire some brains behind the operation like Joe Brady, who wasn't given the promising QB they hoped in Darnold, and now has a pretty difficult task turning Cam Newton into a precision passer.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Tom Herman as Northwestern coach? I was ready to make some jokes about this but ... it actually wouldn't be a bad hire. He's had success at both UH and Texas and you can bet some Longhorns wish they had kept him now. Plus his somewhat arrogant persona would work at a somewhat arrogant (and often media starved) program.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and Bweiny
Why would Ryan Day be interested in this dumpster fire? If I were him I'd use a written Bears offer as toilet paper.

Fitz knows Chicago and can be a good face for the franchise and what the brand is when the Bears are successful. Then you hire some brains behind the operation like Joe Brady, who wasn't given the promising QB they hoped in Darnold, and now has a pretty difficult task turning Cam Newton into a precision passer.

Because he has a previous relationship with Fields, NFL experience, and is (or at least was) often connected with NFL head coaching jobs. I don’t think the Bears should look at NCAA coaches, as the primary goal should be someone who can develop Fields into a franchise-level QB and build a team around him to be successful in that endeavor.

”Knowing Chicago” is not a good prerequisite for head coach of the Bears. I’m not even sure what that means.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Because he has a previous relationship with Fields, NFL experience, and is (or at least was) often connected with NFL head coaching jobs.

”Knowing Chicago” is not a good prerequisite for head coach of the Bears. I’m not even sure what that means.
His NFL experience was strictly as a Chip Kelly guy, not a broad experience in the league. He's been so successful at OSU it would be insane to leave given the contracts being offered to coaches he's up 49-0 at the half on. The Fields experience with an OSU roster vs non-OSU's is very different than the NFL. Don't spoil the experience trying to recreate the impossible.

"Knowing Chicago" is a reference to a Ditka-like intensity that can galvanize the fans and city.

His NFL experience was strictly as a Chip Kelly guy, not a broad experience in the league. He's been so successful at OSU it would be insane to leave given the contracts being offered to coaches he's up 49-0 at the half on. The Fields experience with an OSU roster vs non-OSU's is very different than the NFL. Don't spoil the experience trying to recreate the impossible.

"Knowing Chicago" is a reference to a Ditka-like intensity that can galvanize the fans and city.
People like coaches that win. If the Bears didn't win in '86, that shine would have come off on Ditka a lot quicker than it did. The reality is that a lot of people believe that the Bears should have won at least one more Super Bowl with the amount of talent that they had in the mid 80's. Whether Ditka was a good coach is highly debatable.

Another good example of this that is actually really similar to Ditka is Ozzie Guillen. He's a coach, like Ditka, that when things are going well, he's the best. He says exactly what he thinks and isn't afraid to ruffle feathers. When the team is winning, fans eat that up because not only is the team great/winning, but "hey, look at this funny guy leading the charge!". But when that same personality is coaching a losing team, man, that goes downhill fast.

In the end, whether a coach has a Chicago personality or gets the city really doesn't matter. If he wins games and is a good coach, people will be happy he's the coach. Period. Look at Bill Belichick. I mean, is there a more unlikable guy than him coaching today? Smug, arrogant, no time for anyone, etc...But the guy has brought six Super Bowls to New England in the past 20 years. The fans love him!

He would take it in a heartbeat. He is lost here. No way out of getting the boot after another embarrassing year of his own failures. Terrible.

I think they Bears will (and should) focus on guys with NFL experience developing young QBs. Think Brian Daboll, etc.

if that happened they would be repeating the same mistake that led to Nagy. Chasing the hot coordinator is a flawed strategy.

I think the McCaskey’s know it’s critical they get this one right ahead of their potential move to a new stadium in the suburbs. They need fan support to be very high while they move forward with that move. In my opinion they hire a more proven commodity and I suspect interest in the job will be very high given some of the young pieces that are in place. I would be very interested in speaking with a guy like Doug Pedersen. Sean Peyton would be a dream hire and I think he would be interested but I doubt they can pry him away from the Saints.

He would take it in a heartbeat. He is lost here. No way out of getting the boot after another embarrassing year of his own failures. Terrible.
Not sure if it matters much if the team doesn’t perform as long as they keep graduating!

Wish Fitz the best but I cant see the bears seriously considering him
You sure about that? Not that it shouldn't be. Just that I don't see Nagy continuing to start Fields if he did not feel his job was safe. Both Pace and Nagy should be gone but I do not think either are.

You sure about that? Not that it shouldn't be. Just that I don't see Nagy continuing to start Fields if he did not feel his job was safe. Both Pace and Nagy should be gone but I do not think either are.
No way the bears take a loser. But if they took Fitz then it leaps our program ahead 10 years. Walker and barnett recruited talent 10x better than Fitz who is an awful recruiter. And if Walker and Barnett had our $500 million practice facility they would win more championships. Plus the high salary Fitz got and he cant deliver. Period.

Tom Herman as Northwestern coach? I was ready to make some jokes about this but ... it actually wouldn't be a bad hire. He's had success at both UH and Texas and you can bet some Longhorns wish they had kept him now. Plus his somewhat arrogant persona would work at a somewhat arrogant (and often media starved) program.

I'd take Gary Patterson in a heart beat. Hank like defense. He knows how to win in Purple too.

No way the bears take a loser. But if they took Fitz then it leaps our program ahead 10 years. Walker and barnett recruited talent 10x better than Fitz who is an awful recruiter. And if Walker and Barnett had our $500 million practice facility they would win more championships. Plus the high salary Fitz got and he cant deliver. Period.

I think also that Northwestern is in a very different place today where the job can be attractive. Mainly due to the facilities. And Fitz did prove you could be competitive (if you hire the right DC). Given that I forsee multiple years of Bajakian and JON if Fitz stays on, I'm more than fine to cut bait and try to bring in someone like Gary Patterson or some hot MAC or Sunbelt coach or dOSU assistant.

Lord have a mercy, Turk.

Reactions: mountaindrew
if that happened they would be repeating the same mistake that led to Nagy. Chasing the hot coordinator is a flawed strategy.

I think the McCaskey’s know it’s critical they get this one right ahead of their potential move to a new stadium in the suburbs. They need fan support to be very high while they move forward with that move. In my opinion they hire a more proven commodity and I suspect interest in the job will be very high given some of the young pieces that are in place. I would be very interested in speaking with a guy like Doug Pedersen. Sean Peyton would be a dream hire and I think he would be interested but I doubt they can pry him away from the Saints.
Fan Support? The Bears are like the Cubs. Fans will show up when they absolutely stink! They have had over two decades of being $&@t on a stick and still all people talk about are the Bears. Even in the same disarray with the terrible leadership and the front office they have in place now, none of us could get in the new stadium in AH without paying an enormous premium.

I hope I am not reading your Comment to say Day would be making the same mistake as Nagy. If so, that doesn’t make sense. Nagy screwed up at the end with the Chiefs. The writing was on the wall that this was questionable from the beginning, but the Bears have a lemming GM who puts his ear to the payment and follows the crowd of the so called industry experts in an attempt to outsmart everyone and get in early.

They won’t get him, but give me Ryan Day all day and Sunday. He is one of the few College guys that I think would be successful. This guy is good at what he does. OSU is bigger than the Browns or Bengals in Ohio. He would be fine on the big stage and players would see he is the real deal. No phoney Urban persona. If fan support is your issue, Day mobilizes the masses way more than a Doug Peterson hire.

I'd take Gary Patterson in a heart beat. Hank like defense. He knows how to win in Purple too.
Its all about salaries as well. Fitz is 3rd highest paid coach in the bigten. Plus they are preparing to reborn ryan field.

We wont be getting a coach from the MAC. This program is too big for that. And its way too big for Mr Fitzgerald.

Fitz is a great college HC. He would be a very bad NFL coach. Both of these things can be true.

However, there is a 1000% chance that Fitz will have his agent feed some BS about him turning down an invitation to interview, even when that interview was never offered. It’s been happening for years so he can use it as leverage at NW.

So I take it you're not a fan of Fitz?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT