ADVERTISEMENT

Bears One of the dubest moves ever?

Because they like the idea of trading with a GM that gives up way to much for what he gets. They hope they too can get the chance to rob him blind.

Time will tell who is right about Pace. Count me in as one who believes he is developing into one of the better talent evaluators in the league.

Time will tell who is right about Pace. Count me in as one who believes he is developing into one of the better talent evaluators in the league.
The question is not whether he can find talent but whether that talent is worth the price Bears are paying.

I don't have an issue with the price paid to nab Trubisky, esp. after reading some of the other "insider" comments about what was going on that day in the draft. I really thought the Bears would go after Adams with that pick but if you think you have your quarterback, you go get him. That makes sense.

I also thought getting that TE in round 2 was nuts until my brother, a draft nut, informed me that all the mocks had him going in the late second round. They got him early in the second. I guess one could quibble and say Pace should have traded down a few picks, but I don't think that's a risk you take.

The talented but injured safety is a bit of a head scratcher for me, only because it makes me think of Brandon Hardin (#79 overall) and Patrick Riley (#52 overall). Drafting guys with significant injuries is generally really dumb.

The question is not whether he can find talent but whether that talent is worth the price Bears are paying.

I'll settle for having a great talent evaluator. That is a lot rarer skill than what you make it out to be. You have no basis to determine whether he has overpaid for talent because you have no basis to question his talent assessment. If Trubisky is the Bears starting QB for the next 10 years, the price Pace paid to get him will look like a steal.

I don't have an issue with the price paid to nab Trubisky, esp. after reading some of the other "insider" comments about what was going on that day in the draft. I really thought the Bears would go after Adams with that pick but if you think you have your quarterback, you go get him. That makes sense.

I also thought getting that TE in round 2 was nuts until my brother, a draft nut, informed me that all the mocks had him going in the late second round. They got him early in the second. I guess one could quibble and say Pace should have traded down a few picks, but I don't think that's a risk you take.

The talented but injured safety is a bit of a head scratcher for me, only because it makes me think of Brandon Hardin (#79 overall) and Patrick Riley (#52 overall). Drafting guys with significant injuries is generally really dumb.

Hardin and Riley were athletes whose athletic ability had not yet translated on the field. It was a total projection compounded by questionable medicals.?Jackson was a very accomplished/productive football player playing at the top program in college football. He made all the calls for their DBs and was the glue to Alabamas DBs according to Saban. The injury concerns me but if he is healthy I would not be surprised if he is starting next year.

Hardin and Riley were athletes whose athletic ability had not yet translated on the field. It was a total projection compounded by questionable medicals.?Jackson was a very accomplished/productive football player playing at the top program in college football. He made all the calls for their DBs and was the glue to Alabamas DBs according to Saban. The injury concerns me but if he is healthy I would not be surprised if he is starting next year.
I agree that Jackson was a much better player in college. It's clear that he is physically gifted (or was) and a very heady player. But that leg injury is pretty concerning, IMO.

When your roster is marginal at best, it's not wise to gamble with talented but injured players. The Cowboys were in a decent position to take a flyer on Jaylen Smith (top 5 pick before shredding his knee), so I get that.

The Bears have been trying to find a ball-hawking safety for over a decade, it seems. This seems like a pretty big gamble to me.

Isn't there a Bears Message Board out there? Now let's discuss the potential NU starting line-up on a NU Football message Board. I'll start, the starting RB might be JJTRB.

Isn't there a Bears Message Board out there? Now let's discuss the potential NU starting line-up on a NU Football message Board. I'll start, the starting RB might be JJTRB.

LOL. Aren't you the guy that started one of the two Bears threads that are out there currently?

Okay, Willy, I'll bite. If I were to project that the carries this season will be split roughly 70/30 between JJTBC and John Moten, how far off do you suppose I'd be?

Okay, Willy, I'll bite. If I were to project that the carries this season will be split roughly 70/30 between JJTBC and John Moten, how far off do you suppose I'd be?
Probably 10%. Think that Jackson will get close to 90% of the carries, barring an injury.

When Willy isn't busy kvetching about closed practices, parking passes, and NU AD marketing, he can talk Bears football!
First I don't remember starting or even participating in Bears talk on this board, until the "Hate Cutler" thing was posted. actually love the Marketing job by Phillips, supposedly will get a parking pass this season, yea! Also still think that open scrimmages are good medicine for NU visibility. Now if they just find and few thousand more seats in the re-built W-R, everything would be roses.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

Pretty interesting reading on the Bears pre draft process and thinking in drafting Trubisky.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chic...chicago-hope-spt-0521-20170519-story,amp.html

As an athlete and a person, Trubisky sure seems to check all the boxes: He can make all the NFL throws. Sound mechanics. Decent size.Good feet. Mature and poised.

The knocks on him are his incomplete resume: a limited number of starts, and a low wining percentage.

The good news is that the latter is relatively easy to change. The former stuff is much harder to develop.

As an athlete and a person, Trubisky sure seems to check all the boxes: He can make all the NFL throws. Sound mechanics. Decent size.Good feet. Mature and poised.

The knocks on him are his incomplete resume: a limited number of starts, and a low wining percentage.

The good news is that the latter is relatively easy to change. The former stuff is much harder to develop.

He was the second pick in the entire draft and you gave up 3 players to move up one spot. He better check all the boxes and then some

He was the second pick in the entire draft and you gave up 3 players to move up one spot. He better check all the boxes and then some
It is very rare to find a draft eligible QB who checks all the boxes. The biggest marks against Trubisky are his lack of experience, and some traits directly correlated to that (mostly blitz reads and such).

From all indications, the Bears paid market price to move up. The question is whether they needed to move up to get their guy. We will likely never have a definitive answer to the latter question.

Correction. You gave up three mid tier draft picks of uncertain value.
They were picks in the heart of the draft. And in general, Pace and even Angello did well with finding players with that type of pick and 3rd and 4th round are guaranteed contracts so likely players. And with all the hole in the Bears roster, hard to give up that number of spots. Soes it do you any good to have a top QB but be unable to protect him or people to throw to or have holes in your D? Bears need draft picks to rebuild and they just gave up a lot of that rebuilding to move up the one spot. I am not saying that he was not worth a 1st round pick or even the number 2 overall but whether it was worth the three picks to move up the one spot and whether it was even necessary. They could have been talking with Cleveland to see what they were able to offer to move to 3 but what could that have been?

They were picks in the heart of the draft. And in general, Pace and even Angello did well with finding players with that type of pick and 3rd and 4th round are guaranteed contracts so likely players. And with all the hole in the Bears roster, hard to give up that number of spots. Soes it do you any good to have a top QB but be unable to protect him or people to throw to or have holes in your D? Bears need draft picks to rebuild and they just gave up a lot of that rebuilding to move up the one spot. I am not saying that he was not worth a 1st round pick or even the number 2 overall but whether it was worth the three picks to move up the one spot and whether it was even necessary. They could have been talking with Cleveland to see what they were able to offer to move to 3 but what could that have been?

We could obviously go back and forth on this all day long. I think the Bears have more talent than what you seem to think. They have a chance to be an 8-9 win team this year with a few breaks. Pace and others thought that Trubisky was the best QB to come out in a while and Pace saw a rare opportunity to solve the most important position in football and one that has tormented the Bears for the last 30 years. He went for it and I applaud his willingness to do so. If Trubisky pans out, the Bears could easily fill the rest of their remaining holes with one more draft and free agency signing period. They have the cap space and the picks to do it.

We could obviously go back and forth on this all day long. I think the Bears have more talent than what you seem to think. They have a chance to be an 8-9 win team this year with a few breaks. Pace and others thought that Trubisky was the best QB to come out in a while and Pace saw a rare opportunity to solve the most important position in football and one that has tormented the Bears for the last 30 years. He went for it and I applaud his willingness to do so. If Trubisky pans out, the Bears could easily fill the rest of their remaining holes with one more draft and free agency signing period. They have the cap space and the picks to do it.
Who's going to be the starting wide receivers for NU next season? Nagel and ...

Soes it do you any good to have a top QB but be unable to protect him or people to throw to or have holes in your D?

YES. 10 times out of 10. Because then you can add those other pieces. If you go the other way, and build a great team with a lousy QB, you get to go home in the divisional round every year. QB is the most important position in all of sports. If you can get a franchise-caliber QB, there is no price too high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT