ADVERTISEMENT

Best DB Ever to Wear Purple

Ismaeli was a game changer. Dynamic...great on the blitz...really, really great. Special talent. Igwebuike has that 'it" factor as well. McMannis, Campbell and Peters were all about even and each made big plays.

Have no idea if the idea was ever broached, but I would have been interested to see if Veneric Mark. There are certainly a number of short dbs and his football instincts/timing/speed were all superior. Just a thought.

Ismaeli was a game changer. Dynamic...great on the blitz...really, really great. Special talent. Igwebuike has that 'it" factor as well. McMannis, Campbell and Peters were all about even and each made big plays.

Have no idea if the idea was ever broached, but I would have been interested to see if Veneric Mark. There are certainly a number of short dbs and his football instincts/timing/speed were all superior. Just a thought.

Venric never played DB...

Don't know that they're the best but I really loved watching the 1995 secondary play especially Chris Martin and Hudhaifa Ismaeli.
Agreed. That '95 secondary was special. Between those two, Rodney Ray, William Bennett and Eric Collier, we've never had a better fivesome.

Do you mean DB as in defensive back or Douchebag? If the latter, I nominate Pont, Strotz, Venturi

Eric Hutchinson was I believe an all-American at safety for the Cats in 1970. He led a very good secondary that intercepted Gary Danielson six times vs. Purdue in 1970. He never played pro ball though. I think I remember him saying he was tired of football. Rick Telander was also in that secondary.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Eric Hutchinson was I believe an all-American at safety for the Cats in 1970. He led a very good secondary that intercepted Gary Danielson six times vs. Purdue in 1970. He never played pro ball though. I think I remember him saying he was tired of football. Rick Telander was also in that secondary.
Yep; the DB's on the 1970 and 1971 teams were very good. Hutchinson was drafted (I think by Houston) and very highly regarded, but he had had enough of football and all the injuries that went with it.

Eric had a lot of INTs

I have never seen an NU player who more immediately belonged as a true freshman than McManis. He was the best player on the defense every game he played. (Note: The second sentence may be an exaggeration. The first sentence is not.)

He's probably still my favorite Wildcat.

Reactions: TerraCat
I have never seen an NU player who more immediately belonged as a true freshman than McManis. He was the best player on the defense every game he played. (Note: The second sentence may be an exaggeration. The first sentence is not.)

He's probably still my favorite Wildcat.

I think you have a valid point. I think McManis was outstanding during his NU career, even better than recent studs like Matt Harris.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT