ADVERTISEMENT

Best Teams of the 30's and 40's

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Reactions: nu greek
The team in the early 30s was a juggernaut with Pug Rentner and Moon Baker. Love those names.

Tennessee not among the Top 25 programs in the nation in the 2010s, for the first time in the history of the AP poll (measuring, as this article does, by decades). Ouch. Thank you, Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley.

The team in the early 30s was a juggernaut with Pug Rentner and Moon Baker. Love those names.
If Fitz is still around, I say early 30's--the O line will have solidified, and we'll have some great WR's by then. If we can only find a QB.

HEY, it's already been 15 years since our last BT Championship!

NU came in 14th in the -30's, tied with 'Nova, Yale and Kales latest school Duquesne....Holy Cross was of course 13th.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ap-all-time-college-football-rankings-best-teams-1930s

And NU continued strong in the 40's, finishing 13th, ahead of Bama and Oklahoma.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ap-all-time-college-football-rankings-best-teams-1940s

Few Cats fans are alive to remember the first glory days of NU football.

Interestingly, this only covers the AP era, so the '30s is just the years 1936-39. So while it includes the Cats' 1936 Big Ten title, it does not include the back-to-back (shared) titles in 1930-31.

I believe those were Jerry Brown's first two years on NU's staff.

Interestingly, this only covers the AP era, so the '30s is just the years 1936-39. So while it includes the Cats' 1936 Big Ten title, it does not include the back-to-back (shared) titles in 1930-31.

Good point. I believe NU was a legitimate top 10 pick for the entire '30s.

Nice one, Lou. Jerry sure has been around for a long time.

Anybody know if there are pictures of the teams in the 30's available on line? My dad might have been in one as student manager. He got a letter in football for it and was a member of the N Man's club (N Men's?).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT