ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest complaint about the stadium

There were no down and distance indicators on any of the displays/screens. There's plenty of room for them so why not show them?
Time also was not displayed on Jumbo trons or ribbons. Basically the only lace you could find either was on black board in NE corner but tough to read

Yeah, crazy that the main scoreboard did not have down & distance. We don’t need the game score up there the whole time to the detriment of the down & distance.

Sound was nonexistent. I viewed that as a plus though.
Or time. But usually on tv screen al three are easily displayed. Having one does not mean you can't display the other info

North side concession stand did not have waters at the beginning of half time.

We finally have the high school stadium visiting fans like to complain about.

I had a great time, though!
Typical for concessions at NU FB

Time also was not displayed on Jumbo trons or ribbons. Basically the only lace you could find either was on black board in NE corner but tough to read
There is a wee clock in the south end zone. You can see it from the north, through the goalposts

Seems weird to have the two large boards that most people could actually see show identical pictures but no information and no visible scoreboards with actual information.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I will say that I enjoyed seeing Jared Thomas on the broadcast. Lisa at one point corrected herself by saying that he's not a former football player but is a current one, which I assume means he's still hanging around in a pro league somewhere. I believe he was in the arena football league a few years ago. Glad he's still pursuing his dream, and he did a good job on the TV broadcast.

Ok, good. It sure looked like that south endzone was half empty.
My seats were in the south endzone. My daughters and I, like a lot of the fans seated around us in the lower half of the stands, had to escape the sun intermittently, so the total occupancy of the south endzone seats was probably higher than it might have looked on a play-by-play basis.

We envied the fans in the west sideline seats - the majority of those seats appeared to be in the shade for a large portion of the game.

Our view of most of the action on the field was also partially obstructed by the goal post crossbar and the center column behind it - am already planning on switching to higher level seats for next season.

Reactions: TheC
Our view of most of the action on the field was also partially obstructed by the goal post crossbar and the center column behind it - am already planning on switching to higher level seats for next season.
For others in the endzones (north or south) - how high up do you feel you have to be to see most of the field? Also, is being more towards the left or right side of the endzone seats preferable?

For context, our seats are in the 5th row and were almost center of the endzone. Feels like I made a rookie mistake - I've never had seats in the endzone before, so really didn't consider the obstructed view factor...

For others in the endzones (north or south) - how high up do you feel you have to be to see most of the field? Also, is being more towards the left or right side of the endzone seats preferable?

For context, our seats are in the 5th row and were almost center of the endzone. Feels like I made a rookie mistake - I've never had seats in the endzone before, so really didn't consider the obstructed view factor...
I think you'll want to be row 15 and above. I am in 18 in the north end zone and would not want to move lower. Not sure left or right matters.

Obviously this really isn't a concern we previously had in the old Dyche/Ryan considering the crowds but the seat widths in the west stand bleachers were probably from a time when people had smaller waistlines LOL.

Fortunately there were a few no-shows in the row in front of us which helped the situation.

I look forward to Iowa fans giving us grief for our "high school stadium" again. We're taking it to new levels of high schoolishness.
We have the nicest high school stadium on Lake Michigan for the next two seasons.

The Hogeyes can never take this away from us!

Jared did a nice job. Lisa was awful. When Miami o was driving late down by ten she said they were about to score to tie the game.

But she never corrected herself.
JT65 did a really nice job. He has a great voice and mind for explaining the game.

I didn’t pay much attention to Lisa before I inevitably muted my television and fell asleep on my less comfy couch.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
My seats were in the south endzone. My daughters and I, like a lot of the fans seated around us in the lower half of the stands, had to escape the sun intermittently, so the total occupancy of the south endzone seats was probably higher than it might have looked on a play-by-play basis.

We envied the fans in the west sideline seats - the majority of those seats appeared to be in the shade for a large portion of the game.

Yes, the seats on the West sideline were nice

I can tell you the field is perfectly clear from up in row 45! Only problems were 1) no down and distance visible from the north end zone and 2) couldn't hear the PA very well, which meant that if you looked away from the field for even a brief moment you could lose track of the game, especially if the play was on the south part of the field.

Sadly I can't make the Duke game but I anticipate a smoother experience for EIU.

I think you'll want to be row 15 and above. I am in 18 in the north end zone and would not want to move lower. Not sure left or right matters.

I wouldn't want to be too far to the east side of the end zone bleachers as you'll have a poor view of the video board.

Jared did a nice job. Lisa was awful. When Miami o was driving late down by ten she said they were about to score to tie the game.

But she never corrected herself.
Lisa is always awful. I cringe whenever she has our football or women's basketball games. She has very little idea of what is actually going on in the game. I hope we're done with her for the season. Friday's game is not on the BTN, so we're in good shape on that one.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
I wouldn't want to be too far to the east side of the end zone bleachers as you'll have a poor view of the video board.
No problem in N4 (N5 is the student section) viewing the jumbotron. Jumbotron was crisp from the side. I chose N4 so I would have a bit of an angled view of the field. I think I got a slightly better view than being along the centerline of the field since I was able to make out the approximate distance of down and distance.

Reactions: pschatz25
Would agree. I'm in N3 and it was ok. That said, there's next to no additional information on the video boards, so might as well just watch the game.

Reactions: pschatz25
I was at the game last night and my conclusion is this temporary stadium is a curiousity and a conversation piece but not a good footballl venue for spectators.

It was cool to bike through campus to what has the feel of a major event venue. They did a nice job constructing the stadium, placing concessions and handling inbound logistics. There are some traffic flow issues as there are relatively few exit/entry paths from sections. Also, it has the feel of a significant stadium. It doesn’t look like a high school field and it appears much larger than 12k to me.

I spent time on all four sides of the field over the course of the game. My $35 seat that I bought on Stubbub yesterday at noon was in the 59th row of N-1. Given what I knew of the stadium, I wanted to be at an elevation where I could see the action across the field. The view was clearly one from an end zone perspective which is very limiting when the action is at the other end. As oft-noted by others, no down and distance signage so I had my binoculars on the action and then to the sticks each play. It was windy as heck up there and the wind blew right through the bleachers. Nice view of the roily lake and the skyline.

I ducked down and met friends at halftime on east side. Sideline seats would be an improvement but not at the low level offered which prevents one from seeing action unfold across the gridiron. I am still bemoaning the loss of row 37 in Section 110. I caught some third quarter action from the West side sideline by the jumboscreens. Again, the same issue as on the east side being too low although at that location you are practically on the visitor bench which was interesting, particularly after our 3rd quarter fumble they recovered. And the bunny trot was over near there which created quite a roar from those nearby.

Finally, I spent the end of Q3 and part of Q4 up until our FG in the last row of the south stands just below the suites on the east side. Seat backs were nice as well as plenty of room to stretch out since the section seemed to be about 20% full at best. Nice angles at that vantagepoint and fortunately the action was on that side of the field. I checked out the viewing area behind those stands it it looked like a cool place to hang out during the game if your preference is to watch it on TV.

In sum, it is unfortunate that about 75% of the seating is in the end zone and the rest is so low to have poor (to me) sight lines. Not designed with fans in mind. Just photos and vibes and concessions to the perceived logistical limitations. They should have build larger stands on the lacrosse field and just figured out a solution for that team. Surely there’s a lacrosse field in Rosemont?

Also too bad that folks bought south stands tickets they don’t use. NU should have sold its most expensive tickets to an imaginary east side second deck for folks that wanted tickets that came with no obligation to use them.

Glad I went and developed a POV. And glad I left to catch Metra before the game all went south.

I ducked down and met friends at halftime on east side. Sideline seats would be an improvement but not at the low level offered which prevents one from seeing action unfold across the gridiron. I am still bemoaning the loss of row 37 in Section 110. I caught some third quarter action from the West side sideline by the jumboscreens. Again, the same issue as on the east side being too low although at that location you are practically on the visitor bench which was interesting, particularly after our 3rd quarter fumble they recovered. And the bunny trot was over near there which created quite a roar from those nearby.

Finally, I spent the end of Q3 and part of Q4 up until our FG in the last row of the south stands just below the suites on the east side. Seat backs were nice as well as plenty of room to stretch out since the section seemed to be about 20% full at best. Nice angles at that vantagepoint and fortunately the action was on that side of the field. I checked out the viewing area behind those stands it it looked like a cool place to hang out during the game if your preference is to watch it on TV.

In sum, it is unfortunate that about 75% of the seating is in the end zone and the rest is so low to have poor (to me) sight lines. Not designed with fans in mind. Just photos and vibes and concessions to the perceived logistical limitations. They should have build larger stands on the lacrosse field and just figured out a solution for that team. Surely there’s a lacrosse field in Rosemont?

Also too bad that folks bought south stands tickets they don’t use. NU should have sold its most expensive tickets to an imaginary east side second deck for folks that wanted tickets that came with no obligation to use them.

Glad I went and developed a POV. And glad I left to catch Metra before the game all went south.
Just wanted to correct you on a couple of points here:
1. I think you have the west side and east side flipped in your description. The east sideline is the one with the jumboscreens on it, and is the visiting team sideline.
2. I think you are confusing the lacrosse field with the field hockey field. The field hockey field is located behind the west sideline stands and is party of the reason the seating there couldn't be expanded. The actual temporary football field IS what used to be, and what will continue to be, the lacrosse field.
3. The most expensive regular season tickets (not including the suites and the field level tables) were actually the the west sideline center sections (50 yardline), not the south endzone.

As far as buying south stand tickets that didn't end up being used, you can blame me for part of the problem. I would have loved to have been there Friday night, but my daughter had a cross country meet in Springfield Sat morning and I had to drive down Friday night, so I sold my three tickets. I can't speak for the rest of the south stand ticketholders, but the south stands weren't my first choice of seats, but they were basically all that were left after higher priority STH selected their seats before my selection window.
(Sorry, as a die-hard NU fan that sometimes can't make it to every game due to family obligations, I am perhaps a bit sensitive to being included in the "STH who didn't show up to the game" narrative.)

Just wanted to correct you on a couple of points here:
1. I think you have the west side and east side flipped in your description. The east sideline is the one with the jumboscreens on it, and is the visiting team sideline.
2. I think you are confusing the lacrosse field with the field hockey field. The field hockey field is located behind the west sideline stands and is party of the reason the seating there couldn't be expanded. The actual temporary football field IS what used to be, and what will continue to be, the lacrosse field.
3. The most expensive regular season tickets (not including the suites and the field level tables) were actually the the west sideline center sections (50 yardline), not the south endzone.

As far as buying south stand tickets that didn't end up being used, you can blame me for part of the problem. I would have loved to have been there Friday night, but my daughter had a cross country meet in Springfield Sat morning and I had to drive down Friday night, so I sold my three tickets. I can't speak for the rest of the south stand ticketholders, but the south stands weren't my first choice of seats, but they were basically all that were left after higher priority STH selected their seats before my selection window.
(Sorry, as a die-hard NU fan that sometimes can't make it to every game due to family obligations, I am perhaps a bit sensitive to being included in the "STH who didn't show up to the game" narrative.)
The strange thing is that the south stands WERE mostly filled early in the game. But they just emptied out for the 2nd half. I don't understand why so many people in one particular part of the stadium would collectively decide to leave the game halfway through. The other sections remained mostly filled.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
A couple very light rains and high winds had some folks around me leaving game. Temperature was fine but wind and being damp didn’t work for this crowd

The strange thing is that the south stands WERE mostly filled early in the game. But they just emptied out for the 2nd half. I don't understand why so many people in one particular part of the stadium would collectively decide to leave the game halfway through. The other sections remained mostly filled.
As this post says @rogerkim your seats, which you responsibly sold to probably another Cats fan, were almost definitely filled at the start of the game. At halftime it absolutely emptied out. In a close game! It was 60 degrees and a little windy, nice sweatshirt weather, not exactly a frigid environment and beer and snacks were easy to acquire (one thing I appreciated). It was even fun to stop by the lake and see the big waves under the lights during halftime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT