ADVERTISEMENT

BigTen/SEC agreement for more games

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA

I think this is huge news that the BigTen and SEC will be scheduling more games posing conference members against each other. The article mentions 3 BigTen/SEC games early in the season that drew big tv audiences in the top 10 games viewed that supposedly pushed the agenda for more intra-conference games. Looks like a way of getting even more money for both conferences. It will be huge for all the conference schools to build this rivalry thru intra-conference play.

Last edited:
It makes sense if the long game is setting up a junior nfl league a few steps above the rest of the ncaa div 1 teams and getting an even bigger slice of the pie.

Could you imagine the hype of Northwestern and South Carolina sign home-and-home?

Realistically, the conferences should be able to come to an agreement where the second weekend of the season is reserved for a crossover opponent.

Leave Rutgers and Purdue out every year, or at least until the SEC poaches Clemson and Florida State.

We had a memorable win over South Carolina back in 1962 (when they were still in the ACC, I believe). It was Tommy Myers debut game and he threw for 2 or 3 TDs in a 37-20 win. I think it's the only time the teams have ever met.

Reactions: NU Houston
The expanded CFB Playoffs make this possible. No longer an issue to lose a couple of games if they are to another top opponent. Good for college football to play more good games and fewer cupcakes.
That and one of the topics of discussion at that meeting was getting more mandated spots in the playoff.

That article didn't mention it, but when stories broke a couple weeks ago that this meeting would occur, it was reported that one of the topics of of conversation between the conferences would be insisting on three or even four mandatory spots in the playoff for EACH conference. 6-8 Big Ten/SEC teams in the playoffs minimum. The other conference fans went apeshit, but surely this was discussed.

All that aside, this maybe just makes life rougher for NU in terms of having winning seasons, but it's generally good for fans, as who really wants to be stuck watching Mizzou play UMass when fans could be treated to annual matchups - and semi-annual home games - with good programs for another region? More fun, competitive games to watch your team play.

I think this is huge news that the BigTen and SEC will be scheduling more games posing conference members against each other. The article mentions 3 BigTen/SEC games early in the season that drew big tv audiences in the top 10 games viewed that supposedly pushed the agenda for more intra-conference games. Looks like a way of getting even more money for both conferences. It will be huge for all the conference schools to build this rivalry thru intra-conference play.

Oh great, let's make it even more difficult to win the National Championship (for no reason but TV ratings). Idiotic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT