ADVERTISEMENT

BMac post game intervirw

Catbeast

Jun 18, 2016
something is not right with the attitude and work ethic of this team

Watch BMac post game Penn Stste interview on YouTube

He’s basically calling out his teammates and saying this.

Something is amiss in the locker room.

This team has too many captains! You can't have 1/3 of the team as captains as the leadership responsibilities among the players are not clear.

I don't think it has anything to do with the number of captains we have.

something is not right with the attitude and work ethic of this team

Watch BMac post game Penn Stste interview on YouTube

He’s basically calling out his teammates and saying this.

Something is amiss in the locker room.
Huh? I did not see one thing in this video that would be anything other than what I would expect him to say. What part of this alarmed you exactly?

How'd they all get along so well last year? What changed?

Last year you had two captains. Mcintosh was the vocal leader. Lumpkin was the lead by example guy that could take you behind the woodshed and kick your ass if you were causing problems.

Now you have too many voices. You have captains with little to no leadership skills. Collins created a mess when he chose to do this.

Huh? I did not see one thing in this video that would be anything other than what I would expect him to say. What part of this alarmed you exactly?
"Just kind of questioning what was going through everybody else's head...."after all the Collins talk about how difficult the game would be some of the team weren't ready for a tough game. First time I can recall him call out his teammates.

"Guys need to accept our identity as a program...."indicating that 17 games into the season they still aren't all on the same page.

"I don't think some of the guys are having fun playing right now."OK, that is pretty obvious. Pretty hard to have fun when you're losing.

Last year you had two captains. Mcintosh was the vocal leader. Lumpkin was the lead by example guy that could take you behind the woodshed and kick your ass if you were causing problems.

Now you have too many voices. You have captains with little to no leadership skills. Collins created a mess when he chose to do this.

So how does the multiple captain situation affect how hard they hustle and play?

Stop with the two many captains thing. it has about as much to do with the teams problems as that the baskets aren't 10ft high and it's a smaller floor at ASA. Yes, they need more privates and they just don't have them beyond Mac, Pardon and Law. Also it's not that Lumpkin isn't around anymore. Sure he would be a nice 3rd or 4th guy off the bench but what they really need is a healthy Falzon and Lindsey with his head in the game. Maybe it is team chemistry. Just maybe some of these guys don't get along with each other anymore. Don't think we will ever know that one.

"Just kind of questioning what was going through everybody else's head...."after all the Collins talk about how difficult the game would be some of the team weren't ready for a tough game. First time I can recall him call out his teammates.

"Guys need to accept our identity as a program...."indicating that 17 games into the season they still aren't all on the same page.

"I don't think some of the guys are having fun playing right now."OK, that is pretty obvious. Pretty hard to have fun when you're losing.

If this is "calling out" his teammates, its is a extremely subtle call out. Again, what would you expect him to say?

Also it's not that Lumpkin isn't around anymore. Sure he would be a nice 3rd or 4th guy off the bench...

Lumpkin's departure is obviously not the only reason why the 'Cats have struggled to this point in the 2017-18 campaign, but calling Sanjay a nice "third or fourth guy off the bench"?

Sheesh, you are one stubborn dude.

Lumpkin's departure is obviously not the only reason why the 'Cats have struggled to this point in the 2017-18 campaign, but calling Sanjay a nice "third or fourth guy off the bench"?

Sheesh, you are one stubborn dude.
Really who would he replace ?

Really who would he replace ?

Currently, Skelly. Pardon moves back to the 5. If/when he were to get healthy, Falzon would play the stretch 4 role and be the first option off the bench. If Lindsey were to continue his slump, CC could slide Vic down to the two and use Scottie in the microwave role like they used to do with Demps.

I'm not saying Sanjay would magically fix all the issues we've seen with this year's squad, but the guy got a pro contract oversees for crying out. Lump was a starting option on the only NU team ever to make the NCAA tournament. I'm baffled (not really...I know you're just being stubborn) why he would suddenly be relegated to "3rd or 4th off the bench" on a team that is playing well behind last year's pace.

Last edited:
Lumpkin was obviously far more valuable than most of us credited him. No one saw this fall-off. But, it's obvious that a big part of it is missing Sanjay, his toughness, his defense.

If this is "calling out" his teammates, its is a extremely subtle call out. Again, what would you expect him to say?
To me the difference I picked up on is whether he was using first-person, plural or third-person when describing some of the negatives. He started out using "we" but then as his frustration grew during the interview, he started saying "some of the guys", "everybody else", etc... That was telling to me.

Reactions: NJCat
You've got to be joking if you don't think Lumpkin would still be starting on this team. He absolutely would be in the starting line up every night and playing most of the minutes at the 4.

Yes. Lumpkin started 126 of 133 games under Collins--and 36 of 36 games last season. The suggestion that he would be 3 or 4th guy off the bench this season is nonsense.

When you lose, no one has fun. Stevens is a 6'7", 215 lbs. jumping jack which means he is too quick for Skelly and Falzon does not have his health back. Stevens went 7/8 in the first half and we had no answer to him or Watkins. Lindsey took too many silly shots early in the shot clock and off balance or circus shots. Pardon lost some tenacity after Watkins blocked his shot. We also got smoked on easy points in the paint (numerous dunks). But you have to give credit to Penn State's 4-star athletes (Stevens, Watkins and Carr) who scored 60 out of 78 points. Yes, Lumpkin would have done a better job defending Stevens who scored his career high 32. But sometimes, that happens. Look at what Bates-Diop's 32 did to the No. 1 team in the nation, MSU. All you can do is get up off the mat and come off out with fire on Wednesday and knock off the Gophers who also reeling with Lynch suspended and Coffey injured. I do think that our big lineup of Pardon and Benson have to be on the floor some more minutes or we will get abused down low with only Pardon guarding the interior.

Reactions: NJCat
You've got to be joking if you don't think Lumpkin would still be starting on this team. He absolutely would be in the starting line up every night and playing most of the minutes at the 4.
next someone will say that this team would have a winning conference record if Tap was the first guy off the bench.

Reactions: IGNORE2
next someone will say that this team would have a winning conference record if Tap was the first guy off the bench.

No one has even hinted at such a thing, at least that I've read. I don't think many would mind having Tap's shooting off the bench this year though.

Your commentary regarding Sanjay's role in previous seasons is ridiculous.

Last edited:
If Lumpkin had another year of eligibility and came back this year, we might still be in the same situation. There is something else going on here in addition to losing Lumpkin (and Tap). The will to win is not there this year and I have no idea why, since that was such a strength of everyone on this team last year. I guess we'll have to wait for the tell-all book to come out later on.

Reactions: willycat
If Lumpkin had another year of eligibility and came back this year, we might still be in the same situation. There is something else going on here in addition to losing Lumpkin (and Tap). The will to win is not there this year and I have no idea why, since that was such a strength of everyone on this team last year. I guess we'll have to wait for the tell-all book to come out later on.
Maybe the team just needs to run some laps until they get more focused.

But I'm still holding out hope that we're just in a shooting slump and will have a big break-out in the BTT.

Lumpkin was obviously far more valuable than most of us credited him. No one saw this fall-off. But, it's obvious that a big part of it is missing Sanjay, his toughness, his defense.
We are also missing Baldwin. Not sure the effect of that

Absolutely.

Based on the returning players, there should have been only one captain - BMac. You had guys put into a position to lead that, frankly, weren’t equipped to do so. Worse, it gave some an inflated view of themselves, which killed chemistry.

It’s still not too late to turn it around. But if any team ever needed a heart-to-heart amongst themselves, this one sure does.

Reactions: Kelly_32
Stop with the two many captains thing. it has about as much to do with the teams problems as that the baskets aren't 10ft high and it's a smaller floor at ASA . . . Maybe it is team chemistry. Just maybe some of these guys don't get along with each other anymore. Don't think we will ever know that one.

It’s a chemistry issue - which grew from some guys getting a role they never should have been delegated in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT