ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Decisions May Already Have Been Made - Surprise, ESPN has NU going to Music City Bowl (Thanks to Georgia's Loss)

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
While 247 in its final bowl projection postings from early this Sunday morning have Northwestern headed to Phoenix, against Kansas, ESPN is projecting Northwestern headed to The Music City Bowl on December 30th as a consequence of a projected opening up of the ReliaQuest Bowl to the Big Ten as a consequence of the Orange no longer having a Big Ten Team due to Georgia getting that slot to play against Louisville. Per ESPN's projections Ohio State is going to the Cotton and Penn State to the Peach for the respective New Years Six Games. (It goes without saying that Michigan is in the playoffs.)

If ESPN is correct, their projected opponent for the Wildcats is Auburn.

The Las Vegas Bowl still remains viable for Northwestern but it has lost favor from some of those making projections. While Utah keeps getting mentioned as the opposing team in the Las Vegas Bowl, USC is also getting some mention. If in fact Las Vegas wants to avoid a rematch of the Holiday Bowl NU-Utah game they would appear to have the option of matching Northwestern with USC. (Then we could talk about a Rematch of the Rose Bowl game.)

In any event the selection committee met last night and into this Sunday morning so at this point it is possible that all is inked and it will just be a matter of opening the envelopes.

Just focusing on likely opponents, curious as to what the sentiment here is to which of the following would be the best match-up for us?

Play against Auburn (in Nashville)
Play against Utah (in Las Vegas)
Play against USC (in Las Vegas)
Play against Kansas (in Phoenix)

Here is a link:

ESPN has NU to Nashville

While 247 in its final bowl projection postings from early this Sunday morning have Northwestern headed to Phoenix, against Kansas, ESPN is projecting Northwestern headed to The Music City Bowl on December 30th as a consequence of a projected opening up of the ReliaQuest Bowl to the Big Ten as a consequence of the Orange no longer having a Big Ten Team due to Georgia getting that slot to play against Louisville. Per ESPN's projections Ohio State is going to the Cotton and Penn State to the Peach for the respective New Years Six Games. (It goes without saying that Michigan is in the playoffs.)

The Las Vegas Bowl still remains viable for Northwestern but it has lost favor from some of those making projections. While Utah keeps getting mentioned as the opposing team in the Las Vegas Bowl, USC is also getting some mention. If in fact Las Vegas wants to avoid a rematch of the Holiday Bowl NU-Utah game they would appear to have the option of matching Northwestern with USC. (Then we could talk about a Rematch of the Rose Bowl game.)

In any event the selection committee met last night and into this Sunday morning so at this point it is possible that all is inked and it will just be a matter of opening the envelopes.

Just focusing on likely opponents, curious as to what the sentiment here is to which of the following would be the best match-up for us?

Here is a link:

ESPN has NU to Nashville

Would love to see us in Nashville; but another matchup with Auburn? Not sure that has much appeal (similar to us facing Utah again).

Maybe Vegas?

I think adding Tampa bumps everybody up.

Following the thought that committees would pick Mary before us (in pre last nights' games scenario of Mary to Vegas us to GRB) then Music City picks Mary over us -- assuming Wisky goes to ReliaQuest. Also, if using the thought from earlier that Vegas doesn't want 2018 schools rematch, then MC wouldn't want 2021 teams (if Auburn). Wisky has to be RQ or Nash but I think it's RQ -- not likely Mary picked ahead of them. Either way, it's Mary/Wisky in RQ/MC leaving...Vegas, baby!

Looks like McMurphy agrees -- but does ignore the "rematch" issue with Utah
LINK

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Here is a link:

ESPN has NU to Nashville

I think the match up that gives us the best chance to win the game is Auburn.

I think the match up that gives us the best chance to win the game is Auburn.
Are you serious?? Corbi...I find you to be very smart. But did you see Auburn nearly beat Bama a few weeks ago? I would much rather play a team like kansas in Phoenix. I know they are good too. Please no Auburn imho....they are a underachieving team from sec that will beat us like Tennessee way back

Are you serious?? Corbi...I find you to be very smart. But did you see Auburn nearly beat Bama a few weeks ago? I would much rather play a team like kansas in Phoenix. I know they are good too. Please no Auburn imho....they are a underachieving team from sec that will beat us like Tennessee way back
You need to throw out the records when it comes to the Iron Bowl. That game carries more baggage than United Airlines.

Maybe Vegas?

I think adding Tampa bumps everybody up.

Following the thought that committees would pick Mary before us (in pre last nights' games scenario of Mary to Vegas us to GRB) then Music City picks Mary over us -- assuming Wisky goes to ReliaQuest. Also, if using the thought from earlier that Vegas doesn't want 2018 schools rematch, then MC wouldn't want 2021 teams (if Auburn). Wisky has to be RQ or Nash but I think it's RQ -- not likely Mary picked ahead of them. Either way, it's Mary/Wisky in RQ/MC leaving...Vegas, baby!

Looks like McMurphy agrees -- but does ignore the "rematch" issue with Utah
LINK
Time flies when your team sucks - that was 5 years ago. Maybe rematch isn't a big deal if that long

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to guess what different bowl committees prioritize. You could easily have a loudmouth in one room dead-set against rematches or another one who only cares about offensive stats because offenses sell tickets, or another who has laser-like focus on head to head.

To be honest, the best place to figure out these actual, influential personal preferences is with local media - they know the bowl committee people and would be able to nail them down better than Brett McMurphy or someone at ESPN who has to generate 80+ guesses every seven days.

Wisconsin fan base is very attractive for bowls. NU did beat Maryland in the head to head but that would be minor consideration. It is fun knowing NU is playing football in December.

To be honest, I have not watched them play but was reaching that conclusion based on their recent loss to New Mexico State. I also think their coach is a tool and my guess is that the team has already checked out on him (based in part on the New Mexico State result). I am not saying they are the least talented team, I am saying they may be the most beatable team. I've watched Kansas play and really like their team and how they play. Their coach will have them highly motivated and ready to play hard.

Wisconsin fan base is very attractive for bowls. NU did beat Maryland in the head to head but that would be minor consideration. It is fun knowing NU is playing football in December.
The theory is that Wisky goes to Tampa, so they're off the table for Music City. At that point, it's between us and Maryland. We own head-to-head & better conference record (against a much easier schedule, though). Neither team travels terribly well.

We were in Nashville in 2017; Maryland has never been. Neither team has been to Vegas. "Six years ago" and "never been" are evidently fairly close to bowl committees, so that may not matter much.

Things like head-to-head record have effectively no bearing on who gets a bowl slot. If the Music City Bowl thinks Maryland will send more fans and get better ratings, they will take Maryland.

Things like head-to-head record have effectively no bearing on who gets a bowl slot. If the Music City Bowl thinks Maryland will send more fans and get better ratings, they will take Maryland.
What about playing Auburn 2 yrs ago?

What about playing Auburn 2 yrs ago?

Sure, if they take Auburn and want to avoid a rematch of a recent bowl game, that could be a factor as it could depress turnout and ratings.

(Although since that was the COVID year and hardly anyone attended the game, it might be less important to avoid the rematch)

We actually travel well to bowl games & did so in Nashville! That said, fan support has been weak this season because of the off-field mess and last two abysmal years. I don’t know how our fans will travel to this year’s bowl game. Of course, I never expected “this year’s bowl game” to be a thing, so that’s fun.

Yes and no. The conference office has input, too, and they generally seem to encourage bowls to pick according to the standings ... usually.

The ratings & travel performance of Maryland is not at the level of Wisconsin, Iowa, or Nebraska.

For reference, attendance at the last Maryland bowl game (2022 Duke's Mayo vs NC St) was just 37,228. That's well below the preceding year's Duke Mayo Bowl attendance (45k), and well below the attendance at our last two (non-COVID) bowl games (48k and 47k).

Paid attendance at their previous bowl (Pinstripe 2021) was 29,653. That's almost 8k fewer that what our Pinstripe Bowl appearance drew.

Last edited:
Are you serious?? Corbi...I find you to be very smart. But did you see Auburn nearly beat Bama a few weeks ago? I would much rather play a team like kansas in Phoenix. I know they are good too. Please no Auburn imho....they are an underachieving team from sec that will beat us like Tennessee way back
I would expect NU to beat Auburn.

Reactions: rmndcat
I am sure Auburn is demoralized after that loss to Alabama I wonder how much fire they would bring to a bowl game.

Here is a link:

ESPN has NU to Nashville
Utah in Vegas it is!!!!!

Friday night/prime time game with a reasonably manageable opponent...can't really be mad about this.

This is the first time we've bowled before Christmas, right? Feels a little weird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT