ADVERTISEMENT

NU @ Selection Sunday Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
Now that we again have something to look forward to on the first Sunday in December, I thought I'd post a supplemental edition of the weekly prediction thread. Please post your expected bowl invitation, by venue and opponent.

My guess:

Las Vegas Bowl v. Utah, a rematch of the 2018 Holiday Bowl.

Utah's hometown paper seems to agree, giving the Cats a 2:1 chance of facing the Utes:

"Maryland or Northwestern or Northwestern are the most likely opponents for Utah should the Utes be selected for the Las Vegas Bowl."

Now that we again have something to look forward to on the first Sunday in December, I thought I'd post a supplemental edition of the weekly prediction thread. Please post your expected bowl invitation, by venue and opponent.

My guess:

Utah's hometown paper seems to agree, giving the Cats a 2:1 chance of facing the Utes:

"Maryland or Northwestern or Northwestern are the most likely opponents for Utah should the Utes be selected for the Las Vegas Bowl."
Do bowls like or dislike rematches? I’m inclined to think we go to PHX, but we’ll see.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Here is the bowl lineup for B1G teams, excluding the CFP. I would prefer to go to either Vegas or Phoenix, no matter who we play.

12/23 Saturday
SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl
Big Ten vs. Pac-12

Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas)
7:30 p.m., ABC and the ESPN App

12/26 Tuesday
Quick Lane Bowl
MAC vs. Big Ten

Ford Field (Detroit)
2 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Big 12 vs. Big Ten

Chase Field (Phoenix)
9 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

12/28 Thursday
Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl
ACC vs. Big Ten

Yankee Stadium (New York)
2:15 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

12/30 Saturday
TransPerfect Music City Bowl
Big Ten vs. SEC

Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tennessee)
2 p.m., ABC and the ESPN App

1/1 Monday
ReliaQuest Bowl
SEC vs. Big Ten/ACC

Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Florida)
Noon, ESPN2 and the ESPN App

Cheez-It Citrus Bowl
Big Ten vs. SEC

Camping World Stadium (Orlando, Florida)
1 p.m., ABC and the ESPN App

I would basically bet everything that Utah goes to the Las Vegas Bowl. Even if either Oregon or Washington gets knocked out of NY6 by some miracle, that would push Oregon State down a peg and they were in Vegas last year.

Big XII selection for Guaranteed Rate seems far less certain. One of the Kansas schools or Iowa State...shrug.

I

My guess:

I heard something like this at the last BB game by someone associated with the band I think. They are having to make their plans as well

I

I heard something like this at the last BB game by someone associated with the band I think. They are having to make their plans as well
Hope the band is correct. The last place I want to go is another baseball stadium in freezing weather, but either Vegas or Phoenix would be fine and first choice would be Vegas for reasons I've stated before. Great inexpensive hotels, excellent food, nice weather, 7:30 pm kickoff and NFL stadium. What could be better?

Im selfishly hoping they go back to the pinstripe bowl Ive never experienced a bowl game before and this is a straight shot up I95 for me.

The Pinstripe Bowl has all but confirmed they're taking Rutgers so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Hope the band is correct. The last place I want to go is another baseball stadium in freezing weather, but either Vegas or Phoenix would be fine and first choice would be Vegas for reasons I've stated before. Great inexpensive hotels, excellent food, nice weather, 7:30 pm kickoff and NFL stadium. What could be better?
Cheap direct flights

Reactions: No Chores

My guess:

The Utes/Wildcats game would be a very good test for the Cats. Hopefully the Cats don't get too distracted by the bright lights of Vegas, or the scantily clad girls!!!!

Breaking: D.J. Uiagalelei just entered the transfer portal.

Significant because Oregon State is now entering bowl season without head coach or star QB...if you believe at 8-4 that might make them a less attractive draw than 8-4 Utah (who they beat head to head), the Holiday Bowl might agree.

If Utah goes Holiday, Oregon State won't go to Vegas (they went last year)...that would put USC or UCLA there...

Breaking: D.J. Uiagalelei just entered the transfer portal.

Significant because Oregon State is now entering bowl season without head coach or star QB...if you believe at 8-4 that might make them a less attractive draw than 8-4 Utah (who they beat head to head), the Holiday Bowl might agree.

If Utah goes Holiday, Oregon State won't go to Vegas (they went last year)...that would put USC or UCLA there...
Oregon State named its DC head coach I think.

Im selfishly hoping they go back to the pinstripe bowl Ive never experienced a bowl game before and this is a straight shot up I95 for me.
I froze my rear end off. People were offering me big money for the scarf we were given. The victory made up for the weather but never again for me.

OK, my flight is booked for Las Vegas from where I will be for the Holidays. Using miles I can redeposit those if I need to cancel. However, there were limited seats left on the flights I wanted so it made sense to lock in now.

FWIW many airlines offer a 24 hour free cancellation from time of booking so there is little risk in booking tomorrow afternoon which should be within the 24 hour free cancellation window.

For NU fans coming from Chicago my guess is fares and/or availabily will go up and become limited once the destination is announced Sunday. Could also be true for many other points of departure as people finalize Christmas travel plans and the supply of seats diminish.

As to a hotel, here is a suggestion from my separate thread regarding The Cats projected by Sporting News to go to Las Vegas:

Just checked and see the Luxor (where the Titanic Exhibit is located) is a close .5 miles walking distance from the Allegiant Stadium and very reasonably priced. (There does not appear to be anything closer in its under $100 a night price range and the few that are closer are only by .1 of a mile. Also there appears to be a bridge that is closed to vehicles and open for pedestrians on game day to get to the stadium.

(By the way I highly recommend taking in the Titanic exhibit. Although it has the replicated iconic staircase, the highlight for me was the huge piece of the Titanic that fills a large room. It is amazing that it could be salvaged from such a depth. For details including a great photo of the piece check out the National Geographic's special Titanic issue currently on newsstands. In addition many of the pictured artifacts in the magazine are also there on display at the Luxor.)

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7580_dnRLsPpkJkREjybwFc1Ap6.jpg

IMG_7578_pbpta2sZGD3qQrAwebnNzt.jpg

OK, my flight is booked for Las Vegas from where I will be for the Holidays. Using miles I can redeposit those if I need to cancel. However, there were limited seats left on the flights I wanted so it made sense to lock in now.

FWIW many airlines offer a 24 hour free cancellation from time of booking so there is little risk in booking tomorrow afternoon which should be within the 24 hour free cancellation window.

For NU fans coming from Chicago my guess is fares and/or availabily will go up and become limited once the destination is announced Sunday. Could also be true for many other points of departure as people finalize Christmas travel plans and the supply of seats diminish.

As to a hotel, here is a suggestion from my separate thread regarding The Cats projected by Sporting News to go to Las Vegas:

Just checked and see the Luxor (where the Titanic Exhibit is located) is a close .5 miles walking distance from the Allegiant Stadium and very reasonably priced. (There does not appear to be anything closer in its under $100 a night price range and the few that are closer are only by .1 of a mile. Also there appears to be a bridge that is closed to vehicles and open for pedestrians on game day to get to the stadium.

(By the way I highly recommend taking in the Titanic exhibit. Although it has the replicated iconic staircase, the highlight for me was the huge piece of the Titanic that fills a large room. It is amazing that it could be salvaged from such a depth. For details including a great photo of the piece check out the National Geographic's special Titanic issue currently on newsstands. In addition many of the pictured artifacts in the magazine are also there on display at the Luxor.)

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7580_dnRLsPpkJkREjybwFc1Ap6.jpg

IMG_7578_pbpta2sZGD3qQrAwebnNzt.jpg
And if history isn't your thing, there are always Celebrity sightings. This one from my last visit there earlier this year:

What happens in Vegas....

IMG_7674_kK8Uydo9WnGCTyftqZ8PZn.jpg

Of course that will be a 4:30 PM kickoff there in Las Vegas:

EVENT DETAILS​

Featuring a matchup of teams from the Pac-12 and Big Ten conferences, the SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl will be played Saturday, Dec. 23, 2023, at 4:30 p.m. PT (7:30 p.m. ET) at Allegiant Stadium and televised on ABC.

Lots of projections now for NU to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl (Phoenix - Dec 26):

One still projecting NU to Las Vegas (Dec 23):

Brett McMurphy at least flipped NU and Maryland in his projections yesterday afternoon:

Maybe he (and others) heard something concrete from the Las Vegas Bowl, like if they're fairly set on taking Utah, and they prefer the first-ever matchup with Maryland rather than the 2018 Holiday Bowl rematch with NU (all other factors being fairly equal). Who knows for sure, though

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Brett McMurphy at least flipped NU and Maryland in his projections yesterday afternoon:

Maybe he (and others) heard something concrete from the Las Vegas Bowl, like if they're fairly set on taking Utah, and they prefer the first-ever matchup with Maryland rather than the 2018 Holiday Bowl rematch with NU (all other factors being fairly equal). Who knows for sure, though

Yeah, if the Las Vegas Bowl is certain it will get Utah then it really doesn't matter to them if the opponent will not be bringing lots of fans from the distant East Coast to their stadium as the Utes will likely fill it anyway.

Would make sense to sometime this afternoon go ahead and book alternative flights to Phoenix assuming your airline has a 24 hour no penalty cancellation policy from time of booking.

On many holiday period flights there are limited numbers of seats still available and once the destinations are announced tomorrow there will likely be a lot of people scrambling to get what is left for getting to Las Vegas and/or Phoenix. Book later today if your airline has a 24 hour refundable policy.

Last edited:
I'm like 99% sure we can't end up in Detroit.

Even if Louisville beats FSU, it just means that ACC keeps the Orange Bowl and gives back Outback/Reliaquest.

So Penn State ends up in Citrus and Reliaquest is Iowa.

That still means rest of bowl order is Wisconsin, Maryland, Rutgers, us for Music City, Pinstripe, Vegas, Phoenix.

Detroit should be impossible for Big Ten to fill in with a properly eligible team this year. Maybe Minny ends up there as a 5-7 fill in after rest of slots are filled.

The way things have shaken out, the Big Ten could have 3 teams in NY6 (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State if they stay ranked 10 or above, or 11 or above if Florida State doesn't make the playoff and takes the ACC slot in the Orange Bowl), and also be filling the ReliaQuest Bowl (if Georgia doesn't make the playoff but stays ranked ahead of Ohio State to fill the SEC/Big Ten/ND slot in the Orange Bowl).

That would leave Iowa, NU, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Rutgers to fill Citrus, ReliaQuest, Music City, Las Vegas, and Pinstripe Bowls. Citrus would likely take Iowa, then who does ReliaQuest select? Wisconsin? Maryland? NU? Rutgers likely falls to and is taken by the Pinstripe Bowl in any scenario.

The final rankings, even after the top 4, will really affect bowl selection.

My guesses:

* Iowa to Citrus
* Wisconsin to ReliaQuest (we've appeared more recently than them)
* Maryland to Nashville (first appearance)
* NU to Vegas
* Rutgers to Pinstripe

Vegas could theoretically opt for Rutgers over us (within one win and beat us head to head) but I'd be surprised, especially if Pinstripe actually wants them (in which case I could imagine the league office getting involved to lobby).

Reactions: zeek55
My guesses:

* Iowa to Citrus
* Wisconsin to ReliaQuest (we've appeared more recently than them)
* Maryland to Nashville (first appearance)
* NU to Vegas
* Rutgers to Pinstripe

Vegas could theoretically opt for Rutgers over us (within one win and beat us head to head) but I'd be surprised, especially if Pinstripe actually wants them (in which case I could imagine the league office getting involved to lobby).
I would be generally fine with this. Probably not going to be able to make it so really just want to land where the Cats have the best chance to win. Leaping up to Outback makes me nervous after last time (though we have much better players on offense now).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT