ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News has Northwestern pegged for a Rematch of the Holiday Bowl - this time in Las Vegas

At this point I'm rooting for Vegas for my own selfish travel preferences.

I see Wisconsin going to Nashville, where they have never played (they can't be selected for Vegas) and if I understand things correctly, Nashville picks first from this cluster.

Rutgers to Pinstripe where they haven't played in a decade...pretty simple choice for the committee here.

(Again, if I understand things right...) Vegas picks before Phoenix...I can't realistically imagine Vegas seeing Maryland as a more attractive selection than NU - we win on geography, head-to-head, and storyline.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The Maryland fanbase is pretty depressed about their season. I don't see them being good travelers that far to Vegas. NUs national fanbase should travel better. Yep, I think Vegas would take NU. However, a matchup with Utah would be a disaster. Those boys can play.

Utah would probably be the most heavily favored against us of any of the matchups I've seen.

Yeah they're a bit limited offensively due to the QB situation, but their defense is solid. And they're always one of the best coached teams in bowl season.

Won past 2 Pac-12 championships and lost Rose Bowls to more talented Ohio State/Penn State teams.

Not really who we'd want to face though I suppose we'd have a chance in a low scoring matchup.

Would feel a lot like the Iowa game imo, just tough to get more than 14-17 points against a stout defense like that unless their offense makes a ton of mistakes.

I understand why Pinstripe would want Rutgers, but how depressing for the players and families. Yippee.... we get to take the NJ Transit into the city!

I understand why Pinstripe would want Rutgers, but how depressing for the players and families. Yippee.... we get to take the NJ Transit into the city!
Hey now, you should consider yourself lucky to be able to travel over the single train bridge that connects NJ and NYC, because why would there ever be a need for redundancy for something hundreds of thousands of people utilize?

• Haha
Reactions: TheC
Hey now, you should consider yourself lucky to be able to travel over the single train bridge that connects NJ and NYC, because why would there ever be a need for redundancy for something hundreds of thousands of people utilize?

Years ago I took the PATH subway under the Hudson from NJ to Manhattan (Believe I have that all correct.). The subway stopped and I was able to see the leaky, corroded shell and utilities. Literally a foot or so off the windows. That was some scary stuff and I would not want to be commuting on that line every day. I know there was a lot of efforts to rebuild that line but politics interfered. No idea where that all stands now.

Spoken by someone who early in his construction career worked on subways. Scary stuff in Jersey.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Utah would probably be the most heavily favored against us of any of the matchups I've seen.

Yeah they're a bit limited offensively due to the QB situation, but their defense is solid. And they're always one of the best coached teams in bowl season.

Won past 2 Pac-12 championships and lost Rose Bowls to more talented Ohio State/Penn State teams.

Not really who we'd want to face though I suppose we'd have a chance in a low scoring matchup.

Would feel a lot like the Iowa game imo, just tough to get more than 14-17 points against a stout defense like that unless their offense makes a ton of mistakes.
A lot of mistakes...like turning the ball over 5 times...Utah would never do that...

Years ago I took the PATH subway under the Hudson from NJ to Manhattan (Believe I have that all correct.). The subway stopped and I was able to see the leaky, corroded shell and utilities. Literally a foot or so off the windows. That was some scary stuff and I would not want to be commuting on that line every day. I know there was a lot of efforts to rebuild that line but politics interfered. No idea where that all stands now.

Spoken by someone who early in his construction career worked on subways. Scary stuff in Jersey.
I believe the project to replace the tunnels is now funded by the Infrastructure bill.

Reactions: CappyNU and rmndcat

NU will be the underdog in the Bowl no matter who they play.

The Maryland fanbase is pretty depressed about their season. I don't see them being good travelers that far to Vegas. NUs national fanbase should travel better. Yep, I think Vegas would take NU. However, a matchup with Utah would be a disaster. Those boys can play.
I read a projection of NU/Kansas in Vegas. All in all a pretty good matchup.

The other matchup being seen in these projections is NU vs Kansas. Either one will be a real test for Braun and the Cats!

Anyone know the team hotel if we go to Vegas? Just checked and see the Luxor (where the Titanic Exhibit is located) is a close .5 miles walking distance from the Allegiant Stadium and very reasonably priced. (There does not appear to be anything closer in its under $100 a night price range and the few that are closer are only by .1 of a mile. Also there appears to be a bridge that is closed to vehicles and open for pedestrians on game day to get to the stadium.

(By the way I highly recommend taking in the Titanic exhibit. Although it has the replicated iconic staircase, the highlight for me was the huge piece of the Titanic that fills a large room. It is amazing that it could be salvaged from such a depth. For details including a great photo of the piece check out the National Geographic's special Titanic issue currently on newsstands. In addition many of the pictured artifacts in the magazine are also there on display at the Luxor.)

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7580_dnRLsPpkJkREjybwFc1Ap6.jpg

IMG_7578_pbpta2sZGD3qQrAwebnNzt.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT