ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Underwood’s recruiting is taken to task by Sun-Times writer

It’s still hard to believe they turned down Talen Horton-Tucker on signing day. A truly moronic decision on every level.

they turned him down because Ayo said he wouldnt come if Horton-Tucker did. So they made a choice, that is what happens when you let the recruits call the shots
]

BU’s 40 minutes of hell style worked at lower levels and his team is good enough to spring some upsets in the B1G. In fact, I expect it will disrupt NU. However, it is not sustainable for an entire conference season. Once their press breaks down, the Fighting Undies have horrendous defense.

BU is the ultimate Red Ass on the sideline. He coaches like Huggy or Frank Martin without their resume. It’s all he knows. He got Illinois Mr. Basketball the only two years he has been there. Mark Smith started out good, and BU destroyed his confidence where he was a shell of himself by the end of the season. Of course he immediately transferred and the faithful start their attack on his ability as a player. Ayo was clearly their best talent in game 1 and BU has now “coached” him into a tentative player that occasionally flashes and stands around the rest of the time. Moronic fans are already jumping on him.

The comments are in fact comical. No talent in Chicago, everyone else is paying off, Chicago media hates the University etc. Whitman has flunked his job application with his two most important hires. Both teams have significant retention issues and speaks volumes to the culture. I lived the first half of my life listening to their fans dismiss NU and spew an arrogance that would make you think they were Duke in Basketball and Alabama in football. In the words of that lyrical genius Bob Dylan:

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime,
Didn't you?
People'd call, say "Beware doll, you're
Bound to fall"
You thought they were all kiddin' you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't walk so proud
Now you don't talk so loud
About having to be scrounging for your
Next meal

An interesting gem in the article is that Indianapolis has had more top 100 players over the last ten years than Chicago....and is half the population.

I think it's true at times that CPL coaches think their league has the same talent superiority as in 1979...and college coaches should come hat in hand. Recruiting today is super regional to national.

Also, while fun to crap on Illinois (which I do all the time), Underwood went out and got a commitment from a four star big man at the eleventh hour...which was an impressive get.

I'll always remember listening to Loren Tate, the Illini broadcaster, after leaving early during Illinois' Jeff George fueled rout in 1989 of Francis Peay's woeful 0-11 team. Responding to Illini fans at Dyche who wanted to keep throwing for another score in the final minutes, Tate said: "Northwestern could get good some day, you know."

I'll always remember listening to Loren Tate, the Illini broadcaster, after leaving early during Illinois' Jeff George fueled rout in 1989 of Francis Peay's woeful 0-11 team. Responding to Illini fans at Dyche who wanted to keep throwing for another score in the final minutes, Tate said: "Northwestern could get good some day, you know."
Loren was the best thing about the University when he was in full swing. Fair reporter.

Good, BU is a joke and always has been. As a Chicagoan id rather see the local kids that NU isn’t after go to DePaul like Markese Jacobs.

Last edited:
BU’s 40 minutes of hell style worked at lower levels and his team is good enough to spring some upsets in the B1G. In fact, I expect it will disrupt NU. However, it is not sustainable for an entire conference season. Once their press breaks down, the Fighting Undies have horrendous defense.

BU is the ultimate Red Ass on the sideline. He coaches like Huggy or Frank Martin without their resume. It’s all he knows. He got Illinois Mr. Basketball the only two years he has been there. Mark Smith started out good, and BU destroyed his confidence where he was a shell of himself by the end of the season. Of course he immediately transferred and the faithful start their attack on his ability as a player. Ayo was clearly their best talent in game 1 and BU has now “coached” him into a tentative player that occasionally flashes and stands around the rest of the time. Moronic fans are already jumping on him.

The comments are in fact comical. No talent in Chicago, everyone else is paying off, Chicago media hates the University etc. Whitman has flunked his job application with his two most important hires. Both teams have significant retention issues and speaks volumes to the culture. I lived the first half of my life listening to their fans dismiss NU and spew an arrogance that would make you think they were Duke in Basketball and Alabama in football. In the words of that lyrical genius Bob Dylan:

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime,
Didn't you?
People'd call, say "Beware doll, you're
Bound to fall"
You thought they were all kiddin' you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't walk so proud
Now you don't talk so loud
About having to be scrounging for your
Next meal
This post delivers.

Not an Illini fan. Not an Underwood fan. But don't blame them one bit for not recruiting the over-hyped, poorly prepared products of the public league. The coaches and hangers on are just as bad...always wanting their cut, their blessing before you can recruit "one of ours." Tony Yates, followed by Jimmy Collins were good at it back in the 80's. They also came bearing gifts. It's no secret. Grade-wise, the likes of Efrem Winters would never get in there these days.

Kruger and Self proved you can win without having to delve into the cesspool that is the public league and their entitled coaches.

Not an Illini fan. Not an Underwood fan. But don't blame them one bit for not recruiting the over-hyped, poorly prepared products of the public league. The coaches and hangers on are just as bad...always wanting their cut, their blessing before you can recruit "one of ours." Tony Yates, followed by Jimmy Collins were good at it back in the 80's. They also came bearing gifts. It's no secret. Grade-wise, the likes of Efrem Winters would never get in there these days.

Kruger and Self proved you can win without having to delve into the cesspool that is the public league and their entitled coaches.
If the State’s best players don’t want anything to do with them who does?

In 2004, when they to the Championship they had 4 of their 5 best players from Chicagoland. Dee Brown, Luther Head, James Augustine and Roger Powell. The Flying Illini was mainly composed of Chicagoland products.

BU is actually the guy playing in the CPS cesspool. The Ayo versus THT process was hardly standing up to the handlers and ultimately will do a great deal of reputations damage to the program. So did the coach get a cut for Ayo or is he just different than the rest of the cesspool? How about THT who almost begged to go to the Fighting Undies?was he offered a cut? Can have it both ways. If people complain about the cesspool then stay out of it, but don’t bring it up AFTER you continue to miss on prospects that YOU pursued in the alledged cesspool.

Purple Pile Driver, definitely some good points. I Should have made it clearer my main issue has always been the Chicago Public League coaches contention that the Illini need more of THEIR KIDS to be successful. Case in point, of the 4 you mention from 2004-05, only 1 was a CPS product (Luther Head). The other 3, while Chicago-AREA kids, were not from the city. With Kruger getting no one from the city and leaving a stacked cupboard for Self, who in turn left a loaded roster for Bruce, showed it can be done MOSTLY without the headaches of dealing with CPL coaches.

As for Ayo vs THT, I'm sure Underwood learned a lot about the politics and ego involved on his first foray with the Public League as Illini coach. Will be interesting to see how and more importantly, where he will recruit going forward? Stay tuned...

Being a long time Illini-hater, I hope they continue to struggle for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT