ADVERTISEMENT

Braun wants NU to be the 'ultimate developmental team in the country'

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021

David Braun was formally announced as the permanent head coach at Northwestern in a press conference at Ryan Fieldhouse. Here are our takeaways from what Braun had to say about his hiring process, this season and the program's future.

Yes, indeed. He said all the right things.

But if we are going to be the best developmental program in the country, then we need the best position coaches in the country. I like the attitude, but can we retain and/or hire the staff needed to achieve that?

Yes, indeed. He said all the right things.

But if we are going to be the best developmental program in the country, then we need the best position coaches in the country. I like the attitude, but can we retain and/or hire the staff needed to achieve that?
He will have to look at newbies like him that are up and comers and not necessarily from major programs. Guys that are hungry that want to win and prove themselves. Thing is you can't retain guys like that for very long. My uncle"s OC at Iowa St was Pete Carroll. Pete helped him turn around the Cyclones and Earle took Pete with him to OSU. They went 11-0 and lost the Natty by 2 points. Pete took off after the Rose Bowl. Most coordinators eventually want to be HCs, at least most of the really good ones. Coach Braun will just have to be able to pick guys that are like him, that have vision and some balls. Once the winning happens, he can find excellent replacements. Bottom line is to win baby!!!!!!!! He can hire a great staff for sure, how long he can retain them depends on the level of ambition from the coaches he hires. It also depends on the level of their success at NU as well. They will want to strike when the iron is red hot. It will come together once the winning happens!!!

Reactions: Eurocat
cohen-lame.gif

David Braun was formally announced as the permanent head coach at Northwestern in a press conference at Ryan Fieldhouse. Here are our takeaways from what Braun had to say about his hiring process, this season and the program's future.
Did Ggarg really compliment the players? Did he have a lobotomy or some sort of spiritual conversion?

He will have to look at newbies like him that are up and comers and not necessarily from major programs. Guys that are hungry that want to win and prove themselves. Thing is you can't retain guys like that for very long. My uncle"s OC at Iowa St was Pete Carroll. Pete helped him turn around the Cyclones and Earle took Pete with him to OSU. They went 11-0 and lost the Natty by 2 points. Pete took off after the Rose Bowl. Most coordinators eventually want to be HCs, at least most of the really good ones. Coach Braun will just have to be able to pick guys that are like him, that have vision and some balls. Once the winning happens, he can find excellent replacements. Bottom line is to win baby!!!!!!!! He can hire a great staff for sure, how long he can retain them depends on the level of ambition from the coaches he hires. It also depends on the level of their success at NU as well. They will want to strike when the iron is red hot. It will come together once the winning happens!!!

Honestly, I think we withered under a coach who recruited staff based on their lack of mobility, er, "desire" to stay.

That is the price of hiring excellent assistants - enjoy them while they last - but it should not be a deterrent.

Indeed. Having your assistants being poached because they are awesome is a good thing. Our problem was nobody really wanted to poach our assistants very much.

Honestly, I think we withered under a coach who recruited staff based on their lack of mobility, er, "desire" to stay.

That is the price of hiring excellent assistants - enjoy them while they last - but it should not be a deterrent.
You hit the nail on the head. This goes along with the past discussion about Fitz hiring just guys he knows, not top assistants available. He doesn't want to be outdone by one of his coordinators.

You hit the nail on the head. This goes along with the past discussion about Fitz hiring just guys he knows, not top assistants available. He doesn't want to be outdone by one of his coordinators.
Good Lord, please tell me where an Assistant outshines a HC anywhere. If you can name more than you can count on one hand I will be surprised!

• Haha
Reactions: DaCat and corbi296
Good Lord, please tell me where an Assistant outshines a HC anywhere. If you can name more than you can count on one hand I will be surprised!
Coordinators can, would be very hard for just a positions coach, but you have had several offensive coordinators that got as much press or more than their boss during the current era of CFB.

Pete Carroll was a secondary coach, not an offensive coordinator. He hardly ever coached offense.

Hartline outshines Day? Dabo’s DC? He outshines him so much you don’t even know the guy’s name? Loooooolllllll!
Day is John Cooper redux

Re Venabkes I mistakenly thought "outshines" meant "is largely responsible for their success", like Hankwitz . I didn't mean "more famous". Venables left and Dabo's team became ordinary. Edit, add Phil Parker. Who's got 2 more?

Reactions: drewjin
Brian Hartline, Mike Hankwitz, Dabos DC. Anyone have 3 more?
Lol. You can’t even name Dabo’s DC. I said overshadowed not good Coaches. Me thinks Ryan Day, Pat Fitzgerald, and Dabo Sweeney are household names in CFB. The original statement was silly. All HC’s have some type of an ego. I don’t think there are many if any that wouldn’t hire a good one for fear of being overshadowed.

Reactions: corbi296 and DaCat
Simply not true. Ridiculous to even suggest this.
Why, because everyone jumped ship like it was sinking at the end of last season?

Or because of all the offers McCall got over the years?

When Cushing got the head coaching job at EIU, was your immediate thought, "about time! I'm surprised Alabama didn't call first."

Lucky we were able to snag Genyk before he settled into a better gig.

I could keep going.

Why, because everyone jumped ship like it was sinking at the end of last season?

When Cushing got the head coaching job at EIU, was your immediate thought, "about time! I'm surprised Alabama didn't call first."

I could keep going.
It’s not about outshining. It’s about crappy hires that are “safe” and boring. This is why his coaching tree isn’t great. There have been examples of some guys leaving for good jobs but in general they are t poached because they aren’t good coaches, Hank excepted.

I’d like us to hire guys that are so good that we have to do all we can to retain them. Means you’re doing something right.

Reactions: drewjin

I could keep going.

You can stop. The part that is/was absurd is:

“He doesn't want to be outdone by one of his coordinators.”

Funny thread. The gulf between the former program guys and the fans and their thinking on how things operate in a program. Like playing a piano with sweet keys and dead keys. At other times, they sound the same because I'm ignorant about some other aspect of college football, like Xs and Os.

Just about every team in the Big Ten is a developmental program. It doesn't mean we'll be recruiting two stars. it just means that the majority of kids will need time to develop. Same at Iowa and Wisconsin. They'll try to land the best players they can get that fit their program. NDSU is one heck of a program. Has been for a LONG time now, kicking Big Ten butt regularly when they get the opportunity.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT