ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Announcers report McGarigle to be DC next year

Braun likely spoke to them before the game, so have to imagine that came straight from him.

(Just my assumption).

Obviously great news for McGarigle.

Should have happened 3 years ago. Don’t fix what ain’t broke. Failed to heed that after Hank left to our great misfortune. Thrilled that Braun made the right move this time. Well deserved. Defense should be in great hands for years to come.

Now let’s get a kick ass OC to match.

Someone really, really dropped the ball on this.

There is no way Braun told the announcers about the coaching changes before the game. No head coach would do that.

This had to come from the athletic department.

There is no way Braun told the announcers about the coaching changes before the game. No head coach would do that.

He could have told them but lacked the experience to know whether he was off the record. Also, it seemed clear that Jake told them about his own situation.

He could have told them but lacked the experience to know whether he was off the record. Also, it seemed clear that Jake told them about his own situation.
Jake was presumably also the unnamed source behind the assertion that the hazing scandal was…mmm… I forget the terms but I think I heard “totally fake” and “all made up.”

(I assume the announcers didn’t have access to McPherson.)

Reactions: cattul
Jake was presumably also the unnamed source behind the assertion that the hazing scandal was…mmm… I forget the terms but I think I heard “totally fake” and “all made up.”

(I assume the announcers didn’t have access to McPherson.)
And also “best culture.” Yes, I’m assuming that came from Jake. I don’t blame him for being mad at Schill and Gragg.

I agree with @Medill '03; often the HC and assistants do talk to the announcers for a bit of time before the bowl game. It's possible that he let some things slip when they discussed what his philosophy will be for his staff moving forwards. In the future, he'll be a bit more guarded about those types of things.

It sounded as if they had heard all of these things directly from Braun, Bajakian, etc.

This is Braun's first time as HC in a situation like this, so it's understandable. I know he was part of NC teams at ND State but I'd imagine there's more media obligations around a Big Ten/Pac-12 bowl game than a FCS playoff game.

Just a reality of business on this stage of the game.

I agree with @Medill '03; often the HC and assistants do talk to the announcers for a bit of time before the bowl game. It's possible that he let some things slip when they discussed what his philosophy will be for his staff moving forwards. In the future, he'll be a bit more guarded about those types of things.

It sounded as if they had heard all of these things directly from Braun, Bajakian, etc.

This is Braun's first time as HC in a situation like this, so it's understandable. I know he was part of NC teams at ND State but I'd imagine there's more media obligations around a Big Ten/Pac-12 bowl game than a FCS playoff game.

Unless the coach is a control freak like Saban, broadcast crews for bowl games *always* get time with the head coach and both coordinators.

Bajakian was particularly glib in his farewell. And I agree that Braun was probably more open than intended. (But, really, does it matter as it pertains to Timmy Mc?)

That said, it’s to everyone’s credit that a) Braun was upfront with Bajakian, and that b) Bajakian agreed to coach out the game.

Bajakian clearly gave one of his best efforts.

Last edited:
Unless the coach is a control freak like Saban, broadcast crews for bowl games *always* get time with the head coach and both coordinators.

Bajakian was particularly glib in his farewell. And I agree that Braun was probably more open than intended. (But, really, does it matter as it pertains to Timmy Mc?)

That said, it’s too everyone’s credit that a) Braun was upfront with Bajakian, and that b) Bajakian agreed to coach out the game.

Yeah I agree completely; I don't think there was any issue between Bajakian and Braun. Bigger issue was between Bajakian and the admin (as is likely the issue for MacPherson as well).

Happy for all involved that the season went the way it did; coaches that won't be continuing here got a great sendoff with 4 straight wins including a bowl ring.

Last edited:

He also was not HC on those teams and likely hardly talked to so it is all new to him

Reactions: zeek55

Braun didn’t say it would be McGarigle and the announcers didn’t say he did. They said that Braun already said he’d be bringing in a new DC and their sources (the announcers) indicated it would be McGarigle.

Last edited:

That said, it’s too everyone’s credit that a) Braun was upfront with Bajakian, and that b) Bajakian agreed to coach out the game.

And we scored 14 points.

Granted it was against a stellar Ute defense albeit without an All American DE and two safeties opting out for the Draft, but enough to win the game in any case.

If he is we are in big trouble next year
To be fair, Hilinski has looked a lot better before (Nebraska last year). Clearly was amped. Way too much on the ball on each of his throws even the one he completed. But, yeah if he is QB1 and he plays like that we are in trouble.

Reactions: ricko654321
And we scored 14 points.

Granted it was against a stellar Ute defense albeit without an All American DE and two safeties opting out for the Draft, but enough to win the game in any case.
His shite calls cost us 10 points - wide receiver screen TFL forced Olsen to have to kick from 51 yds. Wildcat forced us into 2nd and long near the goal line

Odd situation, for sure. Game announcers don't typically look for news, nor do they break it. That's why it was so jarring. I'm wondering whether these coaches were allowed to attend the pregame interviews without SID reps. I'd be shocked given the legal situation. And if these statements were made, I'd be surprised if the SID rep didn't ask to keep that information out of any reports, and for the broadcasters not to accommodate. But over the past couple of years this athletic department has done a few things I didn't expect.

Odd situation, for sure. Game announcers don't typically look for news, nor do they break it. That's why it was so jarring. I'm wondering whether these coaches were allowed to attend the pregame interviews without SID reps. I'd be shocked given the legal situation. And if these statements were made, I'd be surprised if the SID rep didn't ask to keep that information out of any reports, and for the broadcasters not to accommodate. But over the past couple of years this athletic department has done a few things I didn't expect.
I know, right?? Very surprising, especially for those of us on this board (including Rock subscription) who are up to the hour on the latest news, I really thought I had missed something when they suddenly showed a shot of McGarigle and said he was the next DC. I had a ton of family over and I hadn’t checked the board at all during the game.

To be fair, Hilinski has looked a lot better before (Nebraska last year). Clearly was amped. Way too much on the ball on each of his throws even the one he completed. But, yeah if he is QB1 and he plays like that we are in trouble.
Agreed, obviously Hilinski isn't Bryant, but he's probably a fair bit better than being cold and thrown into a very high pressure/tight game moment on a bowl game stage and putting way too much zip on each throw.

I don't think that Hilinski series tells us much of anything; just a rough moment in a pressure packed situation, can't read much more than that.

Agreed, obviously Hilinski isn't Bryant, but he's probably a fair bit better than being cold and thrown into a very high pressure/tight game moment on a bowl game stage and putting way too much zip on each throw.

I don't think that Hilinski series tells us much of anything; just a rough moment in a pressure packed situation, can't read much more than that.
I didn’t even realize he was an option for next year. I think we need a transfer QB. But it was great to see Hilinski slinging it so well for one game last year when he had great OL protection against Nebraska in Dublin. Just maybe with a new OC/QB coach (and new OL coach) he could be successful. But certainly not much evidence that he will be, compared to the track record Ramsey and Bryant had coming in.

He's like 24 years old has been playing for 5 years. As I understand it, he should have known he was first option with Sully out. No excuse to be "amped"

He's like 24 years old has been playing for 5 years. As I understand it, he should have known he was first option with Sully out. No excuse to be "amped"
That is completely fair, in a general sense it's similar to the Matt Alviti/Music City Bowl situation, but immediately you could see the difference in that first throw of the series.

A big part of the difference is JJ. Having an all-time RB like Jackson (and a young stud in Larkin) in your back pocket like Alviti did took a huge amount of pressure off him and let him get into a rhythm and really lead the team. That team also being ranked and already 9 win team with a ton of confidence in the offense was also a hefty difference.

Vegas was a 7-7 game where everyone knew that the only way we were going to really move the ball and score was with a couple of pin-point accurate throws against a terrific Utah defense.

All the pressure was on Hilinski here, and I immediately thought to myself "this could be a complete mess" if he's forced to try to thread the needle here and can't; and when those balls were coming out with a lot of zip, it was just not going to happen.

Those Bryant connections to Henning and Kirtz were incredibly difficult throws to place.

It's just tough, who knows how Alviti would have handled the same situation in the Music City Bowl without JJ; either way we won both, so it's just happily theoretical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwm57 and drewjin

At this point with Hilinski, I think that what you see is what you get. He seems to be a great guy and a great teammate, but as a QB he isn’t the answer.

Not worried though, I feel confident that we’ll find a pretty good QB through the portal to battle it out with Sullivan for the starting job next year.

Reactions: zeek55 and NJCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT