ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Robbie Beran is a Wildcat

I

The other new normal is the Summer posts that Collins isn't cutting it on recruiting and if he doesn't kill it next year it's a total disaster and we should just raze Welsh Ryan. But that's basically three guys upset that NU no longer defends with a 1-3-1.

And for those that ask why we keep battling, this illustrates that I’m not the only one to keep the battle alive.

Btw, find mine from last summer please. Spoiler alert, fools errand. We already had commits during the summer. My last concern was raised during the great class of Gaines. Two summers ago. #fakenews #falsenarative #PKK

And for those that ask why we keep battling, this illustrates that I’m not the only one to keep the battle alive.

Btw, find mine from last summer please. Spoiler alert, fools errand. We already had commits during the summer. My last concern was raised during the great class of Gaines. Two summers ago. #fakenews #falsenarative #PKK

With you on the broader point, but you really don't miss the 1-3-1?

Here's a local Richmond news article on Robbie that mentions he switched schools and moved down a year in order to develop his game. LINK

For those of you who have not been there, put a visit to Richmond on your list. It's a special city with tons of history.

I think he's another high academic kid. The message about NU bball is starting to get through.

It's a good-to-excellent class as is, which seems to be the new normal for NU bball. Each year, at least one recruit who ranks top five in all time NU recruits.

The other new normal is the Summer posts that Collins isn't cutting it on recruiting and if he doesn't kill it next year it's a total disaster and we should just raze Welsh Ryan. But that's basically three guys upset that NU no longer defends with a 1-3-1.
All true and I especially like the idea of "razing" W-R.

Reactions: Medill90
Here's a local Richmond news article on Robbie that mentions he switched schools and moved down a year in order to develop his game. LINK

For those of you who have not been there, put a visit to Richmond on your list. It's a special city with tons of history.
Yup. Great little city. Big on cycling.

I found a cool little hot dog restaurant downtown on a client visit. They had hot dog styles from all over. The Chicago dog was quite authentic. The Nashville Dog was like a Cincinnati one, with an accent.

And they play some of their "bigger" games in a much larger arena.

So, why can't we? From all the reports, the new Wesh-Ryan is going to be awesome. It will be loud and hopefully a true home court advantage.

I think he's another high academic kid. The message about NU bball is starting to get through.

It's a good-to-excellent class as is, which seems to be the new normal for NU bball. Each year, at least one recruit who ranks top five in all time NU recruits.

I like Gaines but top 5 ever recruit?

I posted on July 13 asking if it was time to start getting concerned about the recruiting class. I stand by that post. At the time, none of the three current commits were even offered. I’m not sure if any of the three other potential commits had offers either. We were looking at a lot of Top 50 types with little interest. This was in contrast to having Lathon and Nance on board at that time in 2017.

I am also now willing to say that this is shaping up to be CCC’s best recruiting effort yet. I’m very impressed with how he has adjusted to his first batch of offers not working out, and that will play a role in my thinking going forward.

But contrast this with the 2017 class, which was littered with misses across the board. I don’t think it was unreasonable to fret that NU could have ended up in a similar situation.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Excuse me while I interrupt another round of the seating capacity tug o' war.

I wanted to quietly stash this in the middle of a long thread.

Another piece of news made yesterday a fun basketball day for me. Not only did NU pull down a nice commitment. But my friends in Champaign lost out on their top priority, EJ Liddell.

For those of you keeping score, that's a grand total of zero commitments for Illinois so far. Underwood and his scummy staff are dying :D.

Liddell went to OSU where Holtmann is tearing it up. Unfortunately, that's not going to be a middle-of-the-pack program in the future.

Anyhow, yesterday was good.

Another piece of news made yesterday a fun basketball day for me. Not only did NU pull down a nice commitment. But my friends in Champaign lost out on their top priority, EJ Liddell.

For those of you keeping score, that's a grand total of zero commitments for Illinois so far. Underwood and his scummy staff are dying :D.

Liddell went to OSU where Holtmann is tearing it up. Unfortunately, that's not going to be a middle-of-the-pack program in the future.

Where’s combes???

I was going to make a separate post about this.

I thought Illinois had him so hoped to hear from Idaho if he had any intel.

I posted on July 13 asking if it was time to start getting concerned about the recruiting class. I stand by that post. At the time, none of the three current commits were even offered. I’m not sure if any of the three other potential commits had offers either. We were looking at a lot of Top 50 types with little interest. This was in contrast to having Lathon and Nance on board at that time in 2017.

I am also now willing to say that this is shaping up to be CCC’s best recruiting effort yet. I’m very impressed with how he has adjusted to his first batch of offers not working out, and that will play a role in my thinking going forward.

But contrast this with the 2017 class, which was littered with misses across the board. I don’t think it was unreasonable to fret that NU could have ended up in a similar situation.

I regret the comment for the sole reason that this should be a celebratory thread for the new recruit and his family. So, bad on me to throw the topic out there.

Last edited:
I posted on July 13 asking if it was time to start getting concerned about the recruiting class ...

I’m very impressed with how he has adjusted to his first batch of offers not working out, and that will play a role in my thinking going forward.

... I don’t think it was unreasonable to fret that NU could have ended up in a similar situation.

I wanted to ask a similar question about people's perceptions about this staff's recruiting.

I followed a path similar to FreeWillie. In August (later in the recruiting game), this looked like it was going to be a tough recruiting year. I was wondering if the Northwestern thing was catching up with this staff.

Now NU has the commitment of a top-100 and an obvious change in philosophy about putting together a roster.

It seems these guys are working on a different level that I'm happy to see. They are involved with higher level recruits that NU traditionally doesn't get. But when that doesn't work, they are prepared with more realistic options. Maybe the dice just rolled well for them this year, but it's nice to see.

Granted, we won't know the true outcome of this group for several years, but it seems like a good start.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and DaCat
I wanted to ask a similar question about people's perceptions about this staff's recruiting.

I followed a path similar to FreeWillie. In August (later in the recruiting game), this looked like it was going to be a tough recruiting year. I was wondering if the Northwestern thing was catching up with this staff.

Now NU has the commitment of a top-100 and an obvious change in philosophy about putting together a roster.

It seems these guys are working on a different level that I'm happy to see. They are involved with higher level recruits that NU traditionally doesn't get. But when that doesn't work, they are prepared with more realistic options. Maybe the dice just rolled well for them this year, but it's nice to see.

Granted, we won't know the true outcome of this group for several years, but it seems like a good start.

Virtually no help from our home state since Law signed. And now back-to-back solid classes (by BIG standards) with impressive developmental potential. Note ... all of these kids are skilled, but most need to hit the weight room and otherwise mature. That says a lot about the improved stature of the program.

If we can sign one true guard and a wing that have instant impact ability in the 2020 class, Collins will likely have the horses to make another run. Getting Austin on Thursday will help. But he's a good 20+ lbs. shy of being college ready. Greer, Buie and Austin will prevent us from enduring another post B-Mac drought at the G position, but I can't project them as carrying us to where B-Mac and Scottie took us their junior years. We need more help on the perimeter to complete a high quality retooling. On the bright side, we're about 3/4s of the way there with strong early interest from top guard prospects like Symir Torrence. And we'll be going after them with much, much better ingredients (players and facilities) than ever before.

GOUNUII

Facilities matter and being able to show the guys a finished Welsh-Ryan and work on the new practice facility made an impact, I am guessing. By the way, I noticed Pete Nance having a lot of fun running the field with all the rest of his fellow Frosh before Saturday's football game. Looking forward to seeing him play.

With you on the broader point, but you really don't miss the 1-3-1?

No. It was a gimmick D to hide weaknesses. Worked at times but prefer the talent for man D sprinkled w specialty zone schemes sprinkled in. That would indicate talent top to bottom.

i think recruiting will shift back to illinois in the next 2 classes with focus on the kid from fenwick and the kid from rolling meadows. and of course maybe a push for wisconsin too in the future

Yeah, pretty sure DJ transferred to WY; Max still at Rolling Meadows and PBJ up in Milwaukee...that would be three amazing additions that could potentially propel the program to an elite level. A guy can dream, right?

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
Considering thaqt some think Nance is 7' tall, many teams run a 2 G & 3 F lineup, seems that Kopp (at the 3), Beran (at the 4) and Nance (at the 5) is easily doable in post Pardon days. If we can only shed the NU curse of injuries, transfer and disappointment.

Couple of years from now, a lineup of Jones at the 5, Beran and Nance at the 2 F spots and Kopp at the 2 is very possible.

That would give the 'Cats plenty of length.

If CC & Co. can land a Lathon-type recruit at the 1, then would have good length at every position on the court and should have the makings of the best defensive team fielded by the program.

Didn't get the sense that those guys missed the 1-3-1 (as some of them have attested to).

Let's get over the notion that having any concerns (personally, wasn't too concerned at the time about recruiting) or criticisms = to pining for BC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT