ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm addressing Louisville rumors

Are you kidding me? How young are you? Barnett "visited" all over the place claiming he was just evaluating other programs. It was always a thing and then he left.
He was great for the program but he was a loyal as we think Brohm is going to be. It is absolutely no different. Don't embarrass yourself.

I’m well aware of the Barnett story. Your post didn’t make sense.
I think Deering is trying to say Barnett realized what NU was, was in fact what Barnett was chasing after all. Of course the grass is always greener and the turmoil at the end in Colorado didn’t help either.

Are you kidding me? How young are you? Barnett "visited" all over the place claiming he was just evaluating other programs. It was always a thing and then he left.
He was great for the program but he was a loyal as we think Brohm is going to be. It is absolutely no different. Don't embarrass yourself.
Barnett is a 'footballizer'. He couldn't help himself. There was always a program out there that might be sexier than NU, although once that program signaled its desire he lost his since there must still be the unattainable program that would finally and completely satisfy his lust. And then there was, but ah, the irony, he couldn't ultimately satisfy her. And she left him. No surprise that he looks back wistfully on the program that truly wanted him.

The Pitino thing will pass. As far as football is concerned, you are ill informed. Louisville has been very good for a long time. You forget that they were very successful with Strong as their coach and Teddy Bridgewater as their QB well before anybody heard of Lamar Jackson. I think you’d be very surprised at how many players they have put in the NFL over the last 10 years. They have proven that a good coach can compete for conference championships in a P5 conference and recruit top notch players to the school. No one has proven recently that can be done at Purdue.
They've been in a real conference for about 5 years

They've been in a real conference for about 5 years

They were in the Big East prior to that when the Big East was a real conference. They've been to 15 bowl games in the last 20 years and have accumulated a record of 163-87 over that period of time. Purdue can only dream of that track record. In my opinion they are clearly a superior football program but even if you want to argue that they are similar to Purdue, the personal connection that Brohm has makes this a no brainer move.

Last edited:
Barnett is a 'footballizer'. He couldn't help himself. There was always a program out there that might be sexier than NU, although once that program signaled its desire he lost his since there must still be the unattainable program that would finally and completely satisfy his lust. And then there was, but ah, the irony, he couldn't ultimately satisfy her. And she left him. No surprise that he looks back wistfully on the program that truly wanted him.
I can go with that. I do appreciate what he did for NU.

Never a doubt. There is nothing that Purdue has that Louisville doesn’t. Louisville is home for him and the University has been a part of his entire family for multiple generations. Purdue can’t match that.
Big ten money?

They were in the Big East prior to that when the Big East when was a real conference. They've been to 15 bowl games in the last 20 years and have accumulated a record of 163-87 over that period of time. Purdue can only dream of that track record. In my opinion they are clearly a superior football program but even if you want to argue that they are similar to Purdue, the personal connection that Brohm has makes this a no brainer move.

Most Purdue fans I have run into just don’t get it. Like Mike Alstott and Drew Brees will define them forever.

Plus ... The 2019 Top 25 recruiting class they keep trumpeting is fools gold. Better by Purdue standards, but setting Boiler fans up for more disappointment.

And they swear Purdue has tough admissions standards for football because ... well ... they are Purdue. Nice school. Good Coach. Delusional fans.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Gladeskat
If you are Rondale Moore, how do you feel about this? Did he go to Purdue largely or solely because of Brohm? If so, it has to be tough for him if he goes.

I guess that’s the breaks but one could imagine how a stable coaching staff or at least a stable head coach can be very good for recruiting.

There are many reasons to appreciate what we have in Fitz at NU. This is one but there are many others.

If you are Rondale Moore, how do you feel about this? Did he go to Purdue largely or solely because of Brohm? If so, it has to be tough for him if he goes.

I guess that’s the breaks but one could imagine how a stable coaching staff or at least a stable head coach can be very good for recruiting.

There are many reasons to appreciate what we have in Fitz at NU. This is one but there are many others.
Well, Moore can just transfer if he wants to. Yes, he sits out a year, but still has 3 season of eligibility. Nothing to feel sorry for.

Lot of the guys in incoming class are from Louisville...wonder how many would move along with Brohm? Also any one think Petrino tanked the last couple games? He had a huge buyout...I thought I heard 14mil..The things college sports programs do chasing the holy grail.

That's what I'd be more worried about if I were a Purdue fan. If I am right about Brohm, he'll have no hesitation going after the current players and recruits that he wants to bring with him to Louisville and that certainly includes Moore. My guess is that many of them will follow him.

Well, Moore can just transfer if he wants to. Yes, he sits out a year, but still has 3 season of eligibility. Nothing to feel sorry for.

A year for us older farts? “Yea, whatever.” But for a freshman who literally burst onto the P5 scene, a year of not seeing the field in a game time situation is an eternity. Lots can happen. I’d feel for the kid.

Lot of the guys in incoming class are from Louisville...wonder how many would move along with Brohm? Also any one think Petrino tanked the last couple games? He had a huge buyout...I thought I heard 14mil..The things college sports programs do chasing the holy grail.

I haven’t seen anything specific, but I would be skeptical that Louisville pays the full buyout. Petrino’s time seemed a couple weeks too long while the school considered whether he could be fired for cause (a lot of messy reports came out in his last few weeks besides the ugly on-field performances). Would guess a more negotiated settlement, but could get ugly.

Don’t underestimate the impact of a d**k boss in the there and now. By all reports Rick Taylor was disrespectful to Barnett and a challenge to work for, at best. If it was apparent to Coach B that that situation was not going to change, even after the improbable success that he brought to NU, then I don’t begrudge his decision to leverage his achievements in finding a better situation for himself. Been there, done that, as many here probably have.

Was it ultimately the right decision for Barnett? Only he can say. I wish him nothing but the best. It certainly worked out just fine for NU; in fact they appeared to learn the benefit of retaining a valuable employee.

That's what I'd be more worried about if I were a Purdue fan. If I am right about Brohm, he'll have no hesitation going after the current players and recruits that he wants to bring with him to Louisville and that certainly includes Moore. My guess is that many of them will follow him.
That will be interesting. Purdue's Top recruit is from West Lafayette. Going to be a lot of eyeballs on him and pressure to stay home. Personally, I don’t like the trend of the recruits following the Coach. However, also am not naive enough to think the recruits choose the school over the Coach in most cases. Tough situation for Purdue.

That will be interesting. Purdue's Top recruit is from West Lafayette. Going to be a lot of eyeballs on him and pressure to stay home. Personally, I don’t like the trend of the recruits following the Coach. However, also am not naive enough to think the recruits choose the school over the Coach in most cases. Tough situation for Purdue.

Karlaftis has already been flirting with Michigan throughout the process while committed to Purdue. If Brohm left, pretty sure he would flip to Ann Arbor.

Bet this is a good portion of the reason Hunter Johnson will be wearing Purple not Black/Gold.

Reactions: NUCats
Never a doubt. There is nothing that Purdue has that Louisville doesn’t. Louisville is home for him and the University has been a part of his entire family for multiple generations. Purdue can’t match that.
Louisville accepts 71% of all applicants. Unlike Purdue Brohm will probably have few obstacles as far as getting his recruits admitted is concerned.

Louisville accepts 71% of all applicants. Unlike Purdue Brohm will probably have few obstacles as far as getting his recruits admitted is concerned.

The overall acceptance rates of the Universities usually have little bearing on the acceptance requirements for football players. I don’t believe there is any discernible difference in the acceptance requirements for football players at Purdue vs. Louisville.

Purdue doesn't REALLY have any issues getting football recruits admitted.

Not me. Barnett practically swore on a stack of Bibles many times before he left for the dream job everyone knew he would take. I''m still a little pissed bit it helps me that his dream job was really NU after all.
I really feel bad that the full story on Gary Barnett is not more well-known and that fans and alumni continue to see him as a self-serving money or glamor hound. He was anything but. Gary was all but pushed out by Taylor, our AD at the time. Gary's leaving was not his fault. Someday the truth will come out... maybe in Chappy's book.

I really feel bad that the full story on Gary Barnett is not more well-known and that fans and alumni continue to see him as a self-serving money or glamor hound. He was anything but. Gary was all but pushed out by Taylor, our AD at the time. Gary's leaving was not his fault. Someday the truth will come out... maybe in Chappy's book.
I know a couple NU VP's who were happy to see him go in the end. He was not honest about staying at NU all along.
and, Go Cats !

Last edited:
Bingo, on target !!

In a different thread I said this but here it goes again. Louisville is considered by many coaches, administrators, agents and search firm people as arguably the 4th best job in the ACC based on location, facilities, admission requirements, recruiting base, football budget, fan support, and recent history. Clemson, Miami and Florida State would be ahead of them for sure. The argument could be made for Va Tech but Blacksburg is harder to recruit to which is huge.

Regardless Purdue under no circumstance is in the top 4 or 5 in the Big Ten...no way shape or form. Louisville is simply a better job than Purdue. Factor in the Brohm Louisville connection and it seems like it should be a done deal. Only things I can see is if he loves it so much at Purdue, feels it is not the right time after two year of building momentum or he has his sights on a major program or perhaps the NFL. In that case he is not long for there anyhow.

In a different thread I said this but here it goes again. Louisville is considered by many coaches, administrators, agents and search firm people as arguably the 4th best job in the ACC based on location, facilities, admission requirements, recruiting base, football budget, fan support, and recent history. Clemson, Miami and Florida State would be ahead of them for sure. The argument could be made for Va Tech but Blacksburg is harder to recruit to which is huge.

Regardless Purdue under no circumstance is in the top 4 or 5 in the Big Ten...no way shape or form. Louisville is simply a better job than Purdue. Factor in the Brohm Louisville connection and it seems like it should be a done deal. Only things I can see is if he loves it so much at Purdue, feels it is not the right time after two year of building momentum or he has his sights on a major program or perhaps the NFL. In that case he is not long for there anyhow.
Job may not come up again for a long time. He will take it now I feel. Perhaps he has a prior agreement in place with Purdue that lets them out cheap and then gives them the cash they need to attract a bunch of new coaches.

Job may not come up again for a long time. He will take it now I feel. Perhaps he has a prior agreement in place with Purdue that lets them out cheap and then gives them the cash they need to attract a bunch of new coaches.

Brohm has a pretty low buyout... these numbers "feel" like a lot, but are not enough to deter a P5 program from hiring away a coach they really want:

Buyout if Brohm leaves before:

Dec. 5, 2018: $4.4 million

Dec. 5, 2019: $3.3 million

Dec. 5, 2020: $2.2 million

Dec. 5, 2021: $1.1 million

Dec. 31, 2024: $1 million

Note: Buyout would also include the remaining balance of an interest-free loan given to Brohm by Purdue to terminate his contract with Western Kentucky. The original $900,000 loan is reduced by $150,000 each year.

Source: https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ceives-two-year-contract-extension/552018002/

Perhaps he has a prior agreement in place with Purdue that lets them out cheap and then gives them the cash they need to attract a bunch of new coaches.
Huh? If Brohm breaks his contract with Purdue Brohm would owe PU money, unless he negotiated some deal where Louisville is a school he could break the contract to coach. I doubt PU would let him off the hook.

Huh? If Brohm breaks his contract with Purdue Brohm would owe PU money, unless he negotiated some deal where Louisville is a school he could break the contract to coach. I doubt PU would let him off the hook.
Peanuts in today's world of the coaching carousel.

I'm probably older then you and remember all the rumors but was told by at least two people who were in the program at that the only place he would leave NU for was Colorado. If Neuheiser (sp?) hadn't changed his mind, Barnett would have stayed.

Colorado wanted him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT