ADVERTISEMENT

Calling mwebb - re: WBB

Pukecat

Sep 30, 2018
Okay, this is a basketball board so how are the lady Wildcats going to do this year? Are we ever going to turn a corner? If we do turn a corner, can we sustain it? It seems like most of our women sports are doing all right, but softball, tennis, and lacrosse aren't where they were 5-10 years ago. Field hockey and soccer have shown promise. It really bugs me that the lady hoopsters have not found consistent success. Anyway, really hoping you can tell me how they're going to play this year.

Okay, this is a basketball board so how are the lady Wildcats going to do this year? Are we ever going to turn a corner? If we do turn a corner, can we sustain it? It seems like most of our women sports are doing all right, but softball, tennis, and lacrosse aren't where they were 5-10 years ago. Field hockey and soccer have shown promise. It really bugs me that the lady hoopsters have not found consistent success. Anyway, really hoping you can tell me how they're going to play this year.

Last year was essentially shot when Amber Jamison sat out the year, and I think this season will largely depend on how well she performs after a year on the shelf. She was expected to be our best player last year, and if she is as good or better than Pallas or Pulliam (who were our best players last year) then we'll be quite competitive. If not, it's not guaranteed to be a long season, but it will be an uphill battle as we are still very young (just one senior). Regardless of Amber, an area where we should be dominant is down low, as Pallas can dunk and was generally unstoppable on the boards last year (she AVERAGED a double-double!). I've excited for the season,

As an aside, softball had a fantastic season last year...

Last year was essentially shot when Amber Jamison sat out the year, and I think this season will largely depend on how well she performs after a year on the shelf. She was expected to be our best player last year, and if she is as good or better than Pallas or Pulliam (who were our best players last year) then we'll be quite competitive. If not, it's not guaranteed to be a long season, but it will be an uphill battle as we are still very young (just one senior). Regardless of Amber, an area where we should be dominant is down low, as Pallas can dunk and was generally unstoppable on the boards last year (she AVERAGED a double-double!). I've excited for the season,

Im getting ahead of things but already anticipating a non-NCAA tournament team. How long is Coach’s rope here? He’s been better than June and Beth, but that bar was practically on the ground. Hard to believe the AD is satisfied. I’m not; we should be dominating the Big Ten in every non rev sport imo.

OT: Yeah I followed softball last year and was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. We are still not year-to-year contenders in that sport like we were when Drohan first took over. Are you thinking they’re ‘back?’ I hope so!

Im getting ahead of things but already anticipating a non-NCAA tournament team. How long is Coach’s rope here? He’s been better than June and Beth, but that bar was practically on the ground. Hard to believe the AD is satisfied. I’m not; we should be dominating the Big Ten in every non rev sport imo.

OT: Yeah I followed softball last year and was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. We are still not year-to-year contenders in that sport like we were when Drohan first took over. Are you thinking they’re ‘back?’ I hope so!

Joe is 62, and he already has accomplished a ton (600 wins), and he hired a lot of new promising assistants this year, which I believe is a sign he is going to groom one of them for the job.

And I am thinking softball is indeed back, The only starter they lost that will hurt is Rabin, imo, and they have plenty coming in to replace her. And they essentially return their entire pitching staff.

What is Amber’s status? Is she back practicing with the team?

Tennis had a good year last year also. 11-0 in the B1G, and reached the round of 16 in the NCAAs.

And I am thinking softball is indeed back, The only starter they lost that will hurt is Rabin, imo, and they have plenty coming in to replace her. And they essentially return their entire pitching staff.

That would be really exciting. We had a dry spell that I think was due to pitching recruits not panning out.

Tennis had a good year last year also. 11-0 in the B1G, and reached the round of 16 in the NCAAs.

Michigan has really asserted itself and knocked off the Cats a few times in recent years. Pollard is probably the most underrated coach we have in any sport. Yet, we have never won the NCAAs in tennis. We probably have a non-zero shot of doing it in golf, for example.

Joe is 62, and he already has accomplished a ton (600 wins), and he hired a lot of new promising assistants this year, which I believe is a sign he is going to groom one of them for the job.

We lost one assistant a little while back. Why did he hire the new people? Did more people depart or did he dismiss anybody?

Michigan has really asserted itself and knocked off the Cats a few times in recent years. Pollard is probably the most underrated coach we have in any sport. Yet, we have never won the NCAAs in tennis. We probably have a non-zero shot of doing it in golf, for example.
In tennis, golf too, we suffer because we are not a southern school. The amount of outdoor tennis folk can play in the south, starting when young, really adds up. And lots of those players like to stay in the warm weather for school.

So Pollard does a great job for us. We did win the ITA indoors some years ago, and have won several NCAA doubles titles.

We lost one assistant a little while back. Why did he hire the new people? Did more people depart or did he dismiss anybody?
One left righr before last season started; usually that timing is for personal reasons. Don't know about the others.

Last edited:
One left righr before last season started; usually that timing is for personal reasons. Don't know about the others.

She (Christie Sides) left NU before last season to take a job with the Indiana Fever of the WNBA.

She (Christie Sides) left NU before last season to take a job with the Indiana Fever of the WNBA.

Thanks for correcting me; that is usually how Joe usually loses his assistants, but with the odd timing I was not certain.

Until I know if Amber is playing or not, will have to hold off on that one...
Boy and there aren’t really any clues online. Not making light of things at all but this team might be cursed more than MBB and that’s saying a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT