ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ruiz enters the portal

It seems like we finally reached good depth especially in the defensive backfield and now ,,,yikes... and we always seem to get injuries there.
Yes. Hate to lose this type of depth and experience. He did already earn his degree, and it looks like he wants to be a starter. He has been passed on the depth chart by AJ and Mitchell and Heard.

When I think back to our CB situation about 10 years ago, I marvel at how our recruiting in this area has improved.

Let's be real, Ruiz was the weak link in what is shaping up to be both a young and elite secondary for the next two years. He got burned badly multiple times this year for long TDs. I wish him well but it's a good sign that he's transferring as it means our overall talent level has taken a big step up.

• Wow
Reactions: willycat
Let's be real, Ruiz was the weak link in what is shaping up to be both a young and elite secondary for the next two years. He got burned badly multiple times this year for long TDs. I wish him well but it's a good sign that he's transferring as it means our overall talent level has taken a big step up.
He might not be among our best corners, but he can play for many Big Ten teams. And the depth he provided was valuable. I think we will miss his presence, but I am glad he earned his NU degree.

Cam played with a ton of heart. A true competitor. Seems to me that a lot of DB's get hurt so he will likely be missed.

One thing I don't understand is which NU graduate programs are attractive to football players. Yes, business, law and medical programs but those are tough to get into, very demanding plus they require multiple years. Who is paying after the player finishes his first year? Other degrees may be able to be finished in a year but they will also be pretty demanding. If you are a player looking to enjoy football one more year and/or looking to go pro, why put yourself through the headache of all that? Instead just go to a less demanding school. One size doesn't fit all but it occurs to me that the rigor of NU's graduate programs could be an impediment for most/many players. Now if a player could take the bulk of his courses post football season plus have tuition paid post completion of the first calendar year, that would be a huge plus.

Cam played with a ton of heart. A true competitor. Seems to me that a lot of DB's get hurt so he will likely be missed.

One thing I don't understand is which NU graduate programs are attractive to football players. Yes, business, law and medical programs but those are tough to get into, very demanding plus they require multiple years. Who is paying after the player finishes his first year? Other degrees may be able to be finished in a year but they will also be pretty demanding. If you are a player looking to enjoy football one more year and/or looking to go pro, why put yourself through the headache of all that? Instead just go to a less demanding school. One size doesn't fit all but it occurs to me that the rigor of NU's graduate programs could be an impediment for most/many players. Now if a player could take the bulk of his courses post football season plus have tuition paid post completion of the first calendar year, that would be a huge plus.

Not an expert on this by any means but I’d imagine the one-year Kellogg MBA is an appealing option if they’re able to get in.

“Our One-Year MBA Program is your fastest path to a Kellogg MBA. It is designed to build upon your business fundamentals and get you back in the workforce with new skills and knowledge that will propel your career forward. From June to June, you'll immerse yourself in the rigorous curriculum, learn from world-class faculty and build leadership experience and a supportive network that will help you immediately and throughout your career.”

I think Master’s Degrees through SESP are also probably popular? Isn’t that what Ramsey did?

Not an expert on this by any means but I’d imagine the one-year Kellogg MBA is an appealing option if they’re able to get in.

“Our One-Year MBA Program is your fastest path to a Kellogg MBA. It is designed to build upon your business fundamentals and get you back in the workforce with new skills and knowledge that will propel your career forward. From June to June, you'll immerse yourself in the rigorous curriculum, learn from world-class faculty and build leadership experience and a supportive network that will help you immediately and throughout your career.”

Right, but how in the world would someone handle that load plus play football? Come for the summer classes (assuming they are available), play football in the Fall, take classes in the Spring and perhaps the following Summer (Who pays?)?

I think most grad students take one online class in whatever and mostly play football.

I wonder if the NCAA tracks how many grad transfers complete a graduate degree? It would be interesting.

Reactions: Gladeskat
The one-year accelerated MBA I thought would be too time consuming but there is also the Master of Management Studies geared toward younger graduates with limited work experience that might be more amenable to .

There are also various master's degree programs in the School of Education and Social Policy for athletes who might be interested in coaching and/or teaching wanting an advanced degree:

I think Master’s Degrees through SESP are also probably popular? Isn’t that what Ramsey did?

Can’t speak to requirements, but a one year MBA for a 22 year old without any management experience is not a good use of resources, IMO.

The accelerated MBA is only available to people with a deep foundation of finance and other core classes that you take as a first year. Typically Business majors from Wharton or something like that. Generally, also have more business background. Wouldn't be a good fit for kids who have no foundation.

I would think having some Master's programs specifically geared towards sports management or sports broadcasting would be something that would both highlight our strengths as a University, the strength of Chicago Sports, and be very appealing for many who intend to move on with a sports related career after playing ball. I think we have these, but not sure.

He might not be among our best corners, but he can play for many Big Ten teams. And the depth he provided was valuable. I think we will miss his presence, but I am glad he earned his NU degree.

I support the transfer portal and basically every other player empowerment measure, and a player’s career is his to guide. But I wish some guys would stick it out a year instead of leaving as soon as they hit adversity. With a good off-season, Ruiz would have been in the mix to start again and at worst would be an injury away from playing time.

The one-year accelerated MBA I thought would be too time consuming but there is also the Master of Management Studies geared toward younger graduates with limited work experience that might be more amenable to .

There are also various master's degree programs in the School of Education and Social Policy for athletes who might be interested in coaching and/or teaching wanting an advanced degree:

Ding ding. Aside from Masters in Sports Administration, Masters in Management Studies is the other big masters program. A number of fifth-years graduated from it over the past few years (only been around...5-10 years I wanna say)

Reactions: ricko654321
Many of them do, if not most of them.
Random question, but if someone only has one year of eligibility left, couldn’t they just transfer in, take a couple fall classes and drop out at the start of winter quarter? (Especially if they want to prep for the draft.) You don’t get the degree but you get the football.

Ruiz is still listed on the newly released 2021 NU football roster. Some have surmised an oversight. Not sure what to think at this point. I'm starting to get the feeling he might be returning.

He was certainly the outlier when it came to the thesis of "players are transferring to be closer to home." Totally respect his decision to test the waters for better playing time elsewhere, but we would of course welcome him back with open arms!

Reactions: runawayCat
He would be experienced quality depth. That depth will be missed

I thought NU required work experience for their MBA program

Any NU football player who talks about getting a Kellogg MBA — or even starting one — has not yet spoken to anyone at Kellogg admissions.
Point was that many here suggest that these players recruits etc can use that one year (or even less) to get an MBA from Kellogg. But it was my understanding that to even get in you had to have actual work experience. Not sure if they make exceptions for players but unless they do, I am not sure how valid it is to suggest that they can do it.

Your statement sort of goes along with that

Point was that many here suggest that these players recruits etc can use that one year (or even less) to get an MBA from Kellogg. But it was my understanding that to even get in you had to have actual work experience. Not sure if they make exceptions for players but unless they do, I am not sure how valid it is to suggest that they can do it.

Every top tier mba program requires work experience - the content on the one-year program makes reference to building upon your career, or something something. MBA programs generally say ‘at least two’ years in the workforce, and it’s generally 4-6.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Every top tier mba program requires work experience - the content on the one-year program makes reference to building upon your career, or something something. MBA programs generally say ‘at least two’ years in the workforce, and it’s generally 4-6.

Doesn't Kellogg offer some sort of Certificate program?

Football players at Kellogg typically receive a Master’s, not an MBA.

Reactions: zeek55
Doesn't Kellogg offer some sort of Certificate program?

There's a certificate program for undergrads that's essentially just access to Kellogg networking.

The more common thing I've seen is they have a Master's in Management Studies, one year business program that started in the early 2010s. Number of players have done it.

Any NU football player who talks about getting a Kellogg MBA — or even starting one — has not yet spoken to anyone at Kellogg admissions.
[/QUOTE
Business experience wasn't required back in my day, but that's been quite a while. Even then it was pretty rare for a student to not have it. The basis I heard was desired diversity. Having a business background does make the coursework much easier, and helps you get more out of your experience, imo.

Last edited:
Football players at Kellogg typically receive a Master’s, not an MBA.
An MBA is a Masters. A Masters in Business Administration. Average salary of someone with an NU MBA is well into 6 figures (maybe because of the work experience requirment) and as such, very valuable. Many on this board have suggested that players could stay the extra year or come here as a transfer and get an NU MBA. Just pointing out that from what I have understood, getting into the MBA program at NU requires work experience. Not sure that that is still true or if they make exceptions for athletes. A Masters in Management is not the same animal and at least initially no where near as valuable

An MBA is a Masters. A Masters in Business Administration. Average salary of someone with an NU MBA is well into 6 figures (maybe because of the work experience requirment) and as such, very valuable. Many on this board have suggested that players could stay the extra year or come here as a transfer and get an NU MBA. Just pointing out that from what I have understood, getting into the MBA program at NU requires work experience. Not sure that that is still true or if they make exceptions for athletes. A Masters in Management is not the same animal and at least initially no where near as valuable

No shit, Sherlock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT