ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Ruiz enters the portal

Terry McLaurin burned Newsome just before halftime of the 2018 championship. Newsome will go higher in the draft this year than McLaurin did.
Newsome was a true freshman and his quality was evident despite his mistake. This is backed up by the coaches continuing to have confidence in him. There’s a reason after Ruiz was benched this year that he rarely saw the field again.

Newsome was a true freshman and his quality was evident despite his mistake. This is backed up by the coaches continuing to have confidence in him. There’s a reason after Ruiz was benched this year that he rarely saw the field again.
Yeah, the same reason as every other player that doesn’t see the field. Someone beat them out for the position.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Not an expert on this by any means but I’d imagine the one-year Kellogg MBA is an appealing option if they’re able to get in.

“Our One-Year MBA Program is your fastest path to a Kellogg MBA. It is designed to build upon your business fundamentals and get you back in the workforce with new skills and knowledge that will propel your career forward. From June to June, you'll immerse yourself in the rigorous curriculum, learn from world-class faculty and build leadership experience and a supportive network that will help you immediately and throughout your career.”

I think Master’s Degrees through SESP are also probably popular? Isn’t that what Ramsey did?

But that requires work experience to even get in and to get it down to a single year. So how does someone who has been in school and playing FB have that experience to get into the program or give them enough background?

Experienced, yes. Quality, not really. I for one won't be missing giving up long touchdowns because Cam Ruiz blew a coverage
Your 3rd or 4th guy is not going to be as good as your first guy. But it is hard to get the backups enough game expereience which sometimes is making mistakes and learning from them. And he has that game experience that will be hard for newcomers other backups to have enough of It is a loss

Your 3rd or 4th guy is not going to be as good as your first guy. But it is hard to get the backups enough game expereience which sometimes is making mistakes and learning from them. And he has that game experience that will be hard for newcomers other backups to have enough of It is a loss
Much better to give that time to the more talented underclassmen who have a much higher ceiling than Ruiz. We may have the next Newsome in our incoming class. Rather have him get some burn on special teams and in backup situations than Ruiz. At least a talented freshman making mistakes will have a return on investment in the future.

Experienced, yes. Quality, not really. I for one won't be missing giving up long touchdowns because Cam Ruiz blew a coverage

You must have not watched NU very long. There were a lot of years in the 90's and beyond that Ruiz would easily be the better of the two starters at CB.

People often watch the guy trailing the receiver and automatically think they got burned. Many times the safety is supposed to be there in the cover 2. Sometimes they get suckered and the corner realizes it when the ball is in the air...too late by then, but the cameras show the corner chasing the guy 8 yards behind the receiver.

He is a very good veteran backup and a sure tackler. He also Helps the team a lot on special teams. Would love to have him back as we once had a transfer from Robert Morris start a game! I don't ever want to see that again.

People often watch the guy trailing the receiver and automatically think they got burned. Many times the safety is supposed to be there in the cover 2. Sometimes they get suckered and the corner realizes it when the ball is in the air...too late by then, but the cameras show the corner chasing the guy 8 yards behind the receiver.

considering Ruiz got benched after getting burned twice and then rarely saw the field again the rest of the season I don’t think your example applies.

Given the choices, I’d rather give special teams reps and backup reps to our talented young players and incoming recruits. If a senior is on the team and he can only contribute on special teams or emergency injury situations, that’s not exactly what I would deem ‘quality’. Maybe your standards are different

considering Ruiz got benched after getting burned twice and then rarely saw the field again the rest of the season I don’t think your example applies.

Given the choices, I’d rather give special teams reps and backup reps to our talented young players and incoming recruits. If a senior is on the team and he can only contribute on special teams or emergency injury situations, that’s not exactly what I would deem ‘quality’. Maybe your standards are different
He was quality depth. Great on special teams. Our corners are just very deep. His loss still hurts he would have contributed.

Every top tier mba program requires work experience - the content on the one-year program makes reference to building upon your career, or something something. MBA programs generally say ‘at least two’ years in the workforce, and it’s generally 4-6.
So then, all the talk on this board regarding that so ans so grad student or transfer should stay or come because they could get an NU MBAis misguided. Getting an NU Masters in some other program is possible but not an MBA

So then, all the talk on this board regarding that so ans so grad student or transfer should stay or come because they could get an NU MBAis misguided. Getting an NU Masters in some other program is possible but not an MBA
And it sounds like there’s a one-year masters program though Kellogg, but it’s a Master’s of Management Science and certainly not the prestigious Kellogg MBA.

But I presume that most grad transfers take one online class for the football season with no intent of getting a degree.

Much better to give that time to the more talented underclassmen who have a much higher ceiling than Ruiz. We may have the next Newsome in our incoming class. Rather have him get some burn on special teams and in backup situations than Ruiz. At least a talented freshman making mistakes will have a return on investment in the future.
And you lose a couple games, especially at the beginning of the year because the young guys that you suggest should be getting the time make mistakes that he would not have made because of the experience he has and/or the fact that he is more physically developed than the Frosh you want to put in. Plus he makes contributions on special teams. He would be missed.

Another example. Why was Ramsey so valuable last year. Not because he was particularly gifted but he had a tremendous amount of experience that we just did not have on the roster. Others might be better long term QBs but for last year... He was the best option. Don't recall hearing you saying we should play HJ, Marty etc because we would be better served by getting them the experience

Reactions: mikero3
And it sounds like there’s a one-year masters program though Kellogg, but it’s a Master’s of Management Science and certainly not the prestigious Kellogg MBA.

But I presume that most grad transfers take one online class for the football season with no intent of getting a degree.
Thanks. I have no idea the value of the Masters of Management Science is. And if as you suggest, they have no intent of even getting that degree.... Just pointing out the delusion on this board of the people on this board who suggest that these kids should see the value proposition of being able to get the coveted Kellogg MBA by coming/staying when reality is that they come/stay to be able to play one more year of FB. How many of them even continue classes after FB season is done? Any one know? (I would hope many of them as they have earned it) I mean, they already have their undergrad degree and they are often a ways away from getting their masters as hard to get in many classes in the fall. For example, Ramsey is in Hawaii and it would be hard for him to complete classes this quarter.

Little different for a kid like Hillinski who will have time to get an NU undergrad degree instead of one from South Carolina

Last edited:

I’ve posted before that I’d like to see stats on how many grad transfers actually complete a grad degree at that institution. Not that it’s wrong if they don’t. They could certainly use those credits toward further graduate work in the near future.

But wouldn’t grad transfers need to take more than 1 course to be eligible? I does the NCAA have a full time enrollment requirement?

And you lose a couple games, especially at the beginning of the year because the young guys that you suggest should be getting the time make mistakes that he would not have made because of the experience he has and/or the fact that he is more physically developed than the Frosh you want to put in. Plus he makes contributions on special teams. He would be missed.

Another example. Why was Ramsey so valuable last year. Not because he was particularly gifted but he had a tremendous amount of experience that we just did not have on the roster. Others might be better long term QBs but for last year... He was the best option. Don't recall hearing you saying we should play HJ, Marty etc because we would be better served by getting them the experience

Ramsey was a proven all conference level player. Cam Ruiz was far from that level. Surely you can tell the difference? Or are you just playing stupid so you can argue in bad faith?

Last year we literally did better when we replaced Ruiz with a freshman in Mitchell, so your first fear is overblown

Ramsey was a proven all conference level player. Cam Ruiz was far from that level. Surely you can tell the difference? Or are you just playing stupid so you can argue in bad faith?

Last year we literally did better when we replaced Ruiz with a freshman in Mitchell, so your first fear is overblown
I never said Ruiz should be the starter. He is a quality BACKUP and we are better off with him than without him. He has the physical maturity and game experience that Frosh would not have. Especially with the effects of Covid on young player development. And by the way, Ramsey was available because HE was replaced

I’ve posted before that I’d like to see stats on how many grad transfers actually complete a grad degree at that institution. Not that it’s wrong if they don’t. They could certainly use those credits toward further graduate work in the near future.

But wouldn’t grad transfers need to take more than 1 course to be eligible? I does the NCAA have a full time enrollment requirement?

Of course.

I agree that it would be very interesting to see how many actually completed the grad degrees. Yes the NCAA does have a requirement of the minimum that they have to take to be eligible. But I would guess that it is less than what the average student generally takes. According to this, in D 1, they must take 6 hours the preceeding term to remain eligible which would likely mean that they could do it with two classes.

I agree that it would be very interesting to see how many actually completed the grad degrees. Yes the NCAA does have a requirement of the minimum that they have to take to be eligible. But I would guess that it is less than what the average student generally takes. According to this, in D 1, they must take 6 hours the preceeding term to remain eligible which would likely mean that they could do it with two classes.

I would be interested to see how many of the student athletes who red shirt, do not transfer, and stay at NU for 5 years get a masters degree. Many of them actually graduate in 4 years and then stay on for the fifth season.

I would be interested to see how many of the student athletes who red shirt, do not transfer, and stay at NU for 5 years get a masters degree. Many of them actually graduate in 4 years and then stay on for the fifth season.

Pretty much every NU player that sticks around for four years graduates, then moves to a post-grad degree.

A better MBA can be found in Hyde Park. These kids should do the digital communications masters at Medill, and get the MBA later.

But they only have to stay for one quarter to play the extra year and potentially only have to take two classes. So yes it would be interesting to see who actually got the grad degree

Oh and by the way, only one QB usually plays but a number of DBs play, not just because there are multiple positions but they also get spelled and go to nickel formations. Don't have to start to get playing time and be valuable to the team. Plus opportunities on special teams. Not going to put a QB there.

Unfortunately for the fringe players like Ruiz, NU is in a new era. It's going to be tough to get playing time, unless you're real good.

A better MBA can be found in Hyde Park. These kids should do the digital communications masters at Medill, and get the MBA later.
Chicago is suddenly the "it girl". Before that it was Kellogg. Likely there was very little change in either place except someone decided to hype Chicago.

Reactions: drewjin
If they stick around for the fifth year, usually. NU guys care about their degrees.
Does anyone start a grad degree with the intent of finishing it post football? (Either NU or pro) staying at the university after eligibility for the team has been exhausted just to finish a more intensive masters?

I don’t care if they do. They got an undergrad and in theory are improving themselves by taking NU classes.
Sorry but two classes doesn't really improve them. Isn't a big reason for them coming here is that they are getting a morevaluable degree? If they don't get it and only end up taking a couple classes....

Sorry but two classes doesn't really improve them. Isn't a big reason for them coming here is that they are getting a morevaluable degree? If they don't get it and only end up taking a couple classes....
Like I said, I don’t care. Peyton Ramsey came here to play football. That may go against what most people believe NU is all about, but it doesn’t make it untrue.

each case is different, and I don’t harbor and bad feelings towards Ramsey because he apparently didn’t earn that more valuable degree. Hopefully, those two classes where beneficial and he took something away from them. If he didn’t, what’s the point if ever going to a class.

Reactions: mikero3

They can still put a Kellogg degree on their resumé. Pretty big differentiator when trying to land your first job after school.

Reactions: Titanium999
Does anyone start a grad degree with the intent of finishing it post football? (Either NU or pro) staying at the university after eligibility for the team has been exhausted just to finish a more intensive masters?

Sure.

Like I said, I don’t care. Peyton Ramsey came here to play football. That may go against what most people believe NU is all about, but it doesn’t make it untrue.

each case is different, and I don’t harbor and bad feelings towards Ramsey because he apparently didn’t earn that more valuable degree. Hopefully, those two classes where beneficial and he took something away from them. If he didn’t, what’s the point if ever going to a class.
Peyton was pursuing a Masters degree in Sports Administration at NU, and even if he didn't complete it yet, he can always go back and finish it later. He probably finished 2 quarters already, summer and fall. After his QB career either with an NFL team or other league, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into coaching, maybe like Kafka.

Peyton was pursuing a Masters degree in Sports Administration at NU, and even if he didn't complete it yet, he can always go back and finish it later. He probably finished 2 quarters already, summer and fall. After his QB career either with an NFL team or other league, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into coaching, maybe like Kafka.
Or like his father.

Reactions: DaCat and techtim72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT