ADVERTISEMENT

Can You Recommend a Kids Book that Explains Football Basics to a Five Year Old?

FrancisSearle75

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Lincoln Park
I've been watching football with my five year old daughter ever since she was a baby. We go to a couple of games at Ryan each year but she's usually more interested in searching for Willy.

Yesterday, as we were watching the Pittsburgh at KC game, my daughter started asking about the rules and objectives of the game. I tried explaining it to her but failed miserably.

I'm looking for a kids picture book that can explain the basics to a five year old. At this point in time, the only thing she knows is that her favorite player is Michigan TE Jake Butt - because she likes the name. No matter what game we're watching, NFL or NCAA, she always asks if Jake Butt is playing.

Reactions: DaCat
I can't help you with a book, but in my experience, if she keeps watching football with you she'll gradually pick up the basics and then the nuances of the game. answer questions as they come up, but don't try to get too much into the details yet. Keep it simple. "The Wildcats have the ball." "The Wildcats are trying to move the ball that way." "Run, Justin, Run!"

So far you're doing great. Searching for Willie is exactly what a 5-year-old girl should be doing at Ryan Field, and if Jake Butt is not your 5-year-old's favorite name in the history of the world, then you're doing it wrong.

I'll tell you, I never 'taught' the game to my then 3 to 4 year old. I just kept taking him to games, and yes, he too was more interested in the distractions than the game itself. Then when he was close to 6, something just snapped on. During the 2009 season, when he was five, about to turn 6, he became way interested, and it was like everything he'd been seeing for years culminated in this explosion of knowledge. I would get questions here and there, but he was learning it more quickly than I, or any book, could have taught it.

He and I went to the Outback Bowl vs. Auburn when he was about six weeks after turning 6, and I didn't recognize what a little monster he'd become. Other fans, NU and Auburn alike, were commenting on this little kid who had to be in his seat when the gates opened, wouldn't leave his seat all game, despite the cold and rain, and was sniping back at Auburn fans who'd say something disparaging about NU. That 'attitude issue' is the subject of another thread, as that season it also resulted in words exchanged with Illini fans at Illinois and the 'accidental' spilling of hot chocolate on the sweatshirts of Wisconsin fans sitting in front of us at Ryan. Thankfully, those 'fanship quirks' were addressed and corrected at this early age.

But back then, and for a couple of years later, I had friends with kids of similar ages who were asking me what you are asking here, how to get their young kids educated on the game so they, and by extension you, can enjoy it more. My only answer was exposure. Just keep it going. If she's truly interested, she'll begin learning and understanding it faster than you can teach it. It's just the way kids that age learn. If she's really not, no book or anything else will bring her up to speed. By the time he was 7, I had to answer to his football coach (just a dad who knew the bare basics of coaching 'backyard football') why my son kept asking why they aren't running a read option offense like NU was running, and then demonstrating how it should work. I taught him none of this! I simply exposed him early on, and after some time the seed took root, and grew into the little monster I know today.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Ah, Purple, you hit it right on the head with your answer. These are not little adults but children who are seeing things for the first time from their own perspective. As long as she has fun, and has her questions answered simply (she's not into flankers and slot receivers or man in motion), and enjoys what she's doing, you're doing a great job. If she grows up liking football, then fine. If she grows up and likes something else, as a father you have to be with her on that area as well. It's not about you but about her. keep up the good work FS 75

Reactions: DarthCat
Kids like video games. If she starts playing Madden and takes a liking to it, I'll bet she'd pick up the rules fairly quickly.

I think I started loving sports around when I was 7. What really helped with rules was video games NCAA 2004 was my first football video game. Also watching games with my dad sparked more interest and I just haven't turned back from the cats or sports since. Still remember my first jersey #19 Sutton. I still have that thing.

I can't help you with a book, but in my experience, if she keeps watching football with you she'll gradually pick up the basics and then the nuances of the game. answer questions as they come up, but don't try to get too much into the details yet. Keep it simple. "The Wildcats have the ball." "The Wildcats are trying to move the ball that way." "Run, Justin, Run!"

So far you're doing great. Searching for Willie is exactly what a 5-year-old girl should be doing at Ryan Field, and if Jake Butt is not your 5-year-old's favorite name in the history of the world, then you're doing it wrong.
Start with a high five and slowly create the end zone celebration or sack dance.

Any book will do. Buy a seat behind No Chores-she will not see any of the exciting plays but she will probably read a couple of chapters

Any book will do. Buy a seat behind No Chores-she will not see any of the exciting plays but she will probably read a couple of chapters
I would give her my seat so she could see and stand behind her while explaining the subtle nuances of what just happened on the football field.

I'm not sure what the secret is, as I have a five year old, but I think it's based around a specific player. My daughter loves Justin Jackson, and was able to grasp the concept of first downs and touchdowns based on wanting to learn more about what he was doing. (I took her to the Pinstripe Bowl, and she curiously takes credit for his late 2nd touchdown because she thought that's what we needed prior to it happening)

I told her he spoke French, and I'm hoping that inspires an interest in other languages...maybe a reach.

DSC4951_zpsxkbta8v8.jpg
IMG_1129_zpsk1kb0dxd.jpg

Keeping it fun has to be key. The x's and o's will come later (and of course some of us are still attempting to advance to that stage.)

Your inquiry brought back memories of this little charmer who sat in front of me at homecoming. Apart from the purple beads, Northwestern beret and purple and white knit cap, under her jacket she was wearing a cheerleader outfit as well. I gifted a similar child's cheerleading outfit to my daughters at that age and now one of the granddaughters has inherited it. When a Northwestern cheerleader Barbie came out that was added to the collection of various stuffed animal Wille the Wildcats.

[QUOTE="aarothman, post: 392191, member: 1132" (I took her to the Pinstripe Bowl, and she curiously takes credit for his late 2nd touchdown because she thought that's what we needed prior to it happening)
.[/QUOTE]

I'll take your daughter over a darn moose any day of the week!!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I've been watching football with my five year old daughter ever since she was a baby. We go to a couple of games at Ryan each year but she's usually more interested in searching for Willy.

Yesterday, as we were watching the Pittsburgh at KC game, my daughter started asking about the rules and objectives of the game. I tried explaining it to her but failed miserably.

I'm looking for a kids picture book that can explain the basics to a five year old. At this point in time, the only thing she knows is that her favorite player is Michigan TE Jake Butt - because she likes the name. No matter what game we're watching, NFL or NCAA, she always asks if Jake Butt is playing.

Not sure about football, but if you want a simple explanation of basketball, please put in a recording of our epic beatdown of Ioa the other night. Pure perfect basketball. No explanation will be needed.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

She may wonder if he is Jake Butt's dad.

"Semi-Tough"? "North Dallas Forty"? "The Franchise"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT