ADVERTISEMENT

Why it may be time for me to give up sportsfandom and get a real life

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
As an undergrad, I remember taking Dr. Perry’s History of Religions class on the Old Testament, and hearing his very lucid explanation of the meaning of the Book of Job.

Over the last bunch of years, there have been four sports teams that I have given my soul, time, and money to: NU Football, the Oakland Athletics, NU Basketball, and Cal Football. My life as a sports fan has brought me back to Dr. Perry’s classroom, imagining myself in Job’s role. What, I ask myself does it all mean?

Needless to say, it has been a rough year. With the addition of Boo Buie’s hand injury and Cal’s sudden humiliating exile from the Power 5 added to the Hazing Scandal and Fisher Las Vegas/ MLB Fiasco, I am left with only the solace of my dog, who in previous years cowered on game day for fear I might kick her, licking my imaginary sores.

Should I find some other focus of my time and attention, say, learning photography like Alaskacat or studying odd creatures like Gladescat? Should I start collecting stamps or take up gardening?

My answer is in the Book of Job:

I will take seven bulls and seven rams, give a burnt offering, and the Lord will send the FB Cats to the National Championship, Fisher will sell the A’s to a group headed by Dave Stewart, Boo will be full speed by the start of the season, and the B1G will extend an invitation to Cal.

Go Cats. Beat Rutgers!

As an undergrad, I remember taking Dr. Perry’s History of Religions class on the Old Testament, and hearing his very lucid explanation of the meaning of the Book of Job.

Over the last bunch of years, there have been four sports teams that I have given my soul, time, and money to: NU Football, the Oakland Athletics, NU Basketball, and Cal Football. My life as a sports fan has brought me back to Dr. Perry’s classroom, imagining myself in Job’s role. What, I ask myself does it all mean?

Needless to say, it has been a rough year. With the addition of Boo Buie’s hand injury and Cal’s sudden humiliating exile from the Power 5 added to the Hazing Scandal and Fisher Las Vegas/ MLB Fiasco, I am left with only the solace of my dog, who in previous years cowered on game day for fear I might kick her, licking my imaginary sores.

Should I find some other focus of my time and attention, say, learning photography like Alaskacat or studying odd creatures like Gladescat? Should I start collecting stamps or take up gardening?

My answer is in the Book of Job:

I will take seven bulls and seven rams, give a burnt offering, and the Lord will send the FB Cats to the National Championship, Fisher will sell the A’s to a group headed by Dave Stewart, Boo will be full speed by the start of the season, and the B1G will extend an invitation to Cal.

Go Cats. Beat Rutgers!
You had me for a second with your title.

As a fellow Bay Area ‘Cats fan, you’ll recognize the motto “strength in numbers”.

The ‘Cats will need our support more than ever and no matter what I’ll be here for it,

I’ve already scheduled my annual BBQ with my Iowa friend in Marin. Down with the Suckeyes!

I don't need a national championship. Just don't lose 9+ games

Cal is welcome, Stanford can pound sand.

I am hanging by a thread as a sports fan, having given up everything except NU FB and MBB

Reactions: mountaindrew
As a Dodger fan (who has been glad for the distraction that Mookie and Freddie have given me these last few weeks), I say whole-heartedly to our friends in Oakland: "Sell the Team."

Braun and the football team may well surprise us. They're kinda playing with house money at this point (well...maybe a gambling analogy wasn't the best idea).

And there's hope in hoops; we can make it to November.

Last edited:
My sports fandom has wained slowly over the past decade. I still follow my favorites, but not into it as much. Sports isn't as fun as it used to be, with it being more obvious by the day that $$$$ is the only real bottom line. These super conferences, are wrecking a lot of traditions that have been around for decades, plus it is increasingly clear I might never see NU football win another B1G title again. It will make it harder for OSU to keep up their level of dominance though. The B1G is getting rather boring as of late.

"....odd creatures like Gladeskat?"

I saw that.

Entry_20127_Giant_waterflea_leptodora.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT