ADVERTISEMENT

Captains announced

I really hope Pete has a special senior year. In comparison to Miller Kopp, Pete stuck it out even though he went through as much crap as Kopp did. God, I'd love for NU to have a better year than IU.
Can Pete go Pro in nba?

I really hope Pete has a special senior year. In comparison to Miller Kopp, Pete stuck it out even though he went through as much crap as Kopp did. God, I'd love for NU to have a better year than IU.
Agree about Pete. But Ryan also deserves mention, he's had a rough career but apparently has remained a great teammate.

Agree about Pete. But Ryan also deserves mention, he's had a rough career but apparently has remained a great teammate.
I'm sure Ryan is a great guy, but he is just not a BIG caliber guard. If the freshmen are anything at all, I don't expect Ryan will play much after December.

I'm sure Ryan is a great guy, but he is just not a BIG caliber guard. If the freshmen are anything at all, I don't expect Ryan will play much after December.
I think it’s fairer to say Ryan is serviceable in the BigTen. He has proven that. He is not in the upper echelon of guards, but certainly is not a liability on the floor.

I think it’s fairer to say Ryan is serviceable in the BigTen. He has proven that. He is not in the upper echelon of guards, but certainly is not a liability on the floor.
Ryan just needs to give 15 minutes/game in relief of Boo. No one says he is a B1G starter. And being a Captain is as much about work ethic and accountability as it is results. Gaines was a 2 year Captain and he wasn't a B1G talent either, no disrespect to Anthony.

Reactions: cats_man_too
I’m sure people will laugh at my comment, but I actually thought that last year Greer was the most improved player from the year before.

i agree. Greer has been solid, tough, moves his feet extremely well in defense, always plays with heart, can hit the open 3 and even make defenses pay for opening the lane. He doesn’t have Buies electric upside but he is under-rated by this board IMO.

i agree. Greer has been solid, tough, moves his feet extremely well in defense, always plays with heart, can hit the open 3 and even make defenses pay for opening the lane. He doesn’t have Buies electric upside but he is under-rated by this board IMO.
No!

Jeez louise. Remind me to never invite you to a birthday party.

Congratulations Pete & Ryan! Thank you for your continued leadership through some difficult seasons.

I was an advocate of Ryan Greer as point guard, but only if we are playing Nance and Young with two shooters who get open when Greer has the ball.

The numbers on Greer last year were pretty grim - seriously negative overall team performance when he was on the court. I think he is our best passing guard, but its only going to work if the other 4 guys are putting themselves into position to score. Buie does that, whereas Audige wants to create his own shot and just stands there. But last year when Young and Nance were both on the court, Greer was reasonably effective. (30-24 in about 17 minutes of action)

When Greer was paired with Buie NU outscored our opponents 84-76 in 53 minutes of game time.
When Greer was paired with Audige NU got annihilated 241-166 in about 112 minutes of game time.

The Greer/Audige combo was the worst pairing in our 9 man rotation by a huge margin, worse than Nance with Beran, which was flat out BAD. Half of Greer's minutes were spent with Audige, who dragged him down stats-wise.
On the flip side, Greer and Buie worked well together, but that was only 23% of Greer's playing time.

So Young, Nance, "not Audige", Buie and Greer could work.

Greer got very limited playing time in the second worst team in the B1G the last two years. And you want to make a case as to why he’s a decent B1G guard. SMH.

Greer got very limited playing time in the second worst team in the B1G the last two years. And you want to make a case as to why he’s a decent B1G guard. SMH.
It isn't a matter of him being a "decent B1G guard". it is a matter of him being able to give serviceable minutes as a back-up. Who was the back-up to BMac in 2016-17?

Answer: No one. Bryant averaged a team leading 34.2 minutes/game. It was pure luck that he didn't wear out or get injured. And his luck ran out the following year when he hurt his knee.

You need a back-up at each position. And Greer is just fine at PG as a Senior.

It isn't a matter of him being a "decent B1G guard". it is a matter of him being able to give serviceable minutes as a back-up. Who was the back-up to BMac in 2016-17?

Answer: No one. Bryant averaged a team leading 34.2 minutes/game. It was pure luck that he didn't wear out or get injured. And his luck ran out the following year when he hurt his knee.

You need a back-up at each position. And Greer is just fine at PG as a Senior.
I agree. And that’s all he is. For as much as we all wish he was more, he is a give a breather guy. Chances are if Buie gets injured Audige would start as point guard. Assuming Berry continues to be ignored for the position despite playing it in HS.

I agree. And that’s all he is. For as much as we all wish he was more, he is a give a breather guy. Chances are if Buie gets injured Audige would start as point guard. Assuming Berry continues to be ignored for the position despite playing it in HS.
If Boo gets hurt the Cats are sunk, at least based on what we've seen from Greer and Berry so far........

Ty is going to be a very solid 2 Guard. His high school team had a Unicorn that even Greer could have been an effective PG for.

I only say that there are some lineups where having Greer at point might work. Primarily when Greer handles the ball and Buie is hustling around looking for shooting opportunities. Last year NU only had only 3 pairings that outscored our opponents when they were on the court together. Young with Nance, Young with Beran, and Buie with Greer.

Of those 3 successful combos, Young played less with Beran than anybody else in the 9 man rotation.
Buie played much, much less with Greer than anybody else in the rotation.
Nance played less with Young than anybody in the rotation except for Greer and Berry.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I only say that there are some lineups where having Greer at point might work. Primarily when Greer handles the ball and Buie is hustling around looking for shooting opportunities. Last year NU only had only 3 pairings that outscored our opponents when they were on the court together. Young with Nance, Young with Beran, and Buie with Greer.

Of those 3 successful combos, Young played less with Beran than anybody else in the 9 man rotation.
Buie played much, much less with Greer than anybody else in the rotation.
Nance played less with Young than anybody in the rotation except for Greer and Berry.
You make my head spin with all of your line up combinations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT