ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Team

Catdude

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Since nothing has been announced yet (though that might not mean anything under Gragg), it looks like McKeown will keep his job. His contract is through next season but I thought this might be his final year based on performance (consecutive 9-21 records) and health (he missed several games this year). He's been at Northwestern for 16 seasons and made the tourney twice (which would have been three with his best team (and Big 10 champion) in the 2019-20 season that ended early because of COVID).

How in the heck can Joe recruit with just 1 year left on his contract? He either needs to retire or Gragg needs to let him go.

The recruiting has already fallen off pretty dramatically in recent years from when we were regularly getting top 100 (and even top 50) commits.

In my humble and mostly uninformed opinion, Joe has earned the right to a few days to consider his health situation, decide what he'd prefer his future to look like, and meet with the department to discuss if they can find a plan they agree on.

The recruiting has already fallen off pretty dramatically in recent years from when we were regularly getting top 100 (and even top 50) commits.

I don't know about all that. We have verbal commitments from two top 100 players for next season. Last season there was only one first-year, Caroline Lau, who was top 100 too. This season's team also had one first-year, Rachel Mutombo, who was unranked, but for now that seems like the aberration.

This season was pretty disappointing. I thought they had decent talent and they did win twice as many conference games as last season, but they were totally noncompetitive against the better teams in the league. It's shocking how bad the defense has gotten after that being a real strength of the team for years.

For now I think it's still JM's call to make about whether he returns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT