ADVERTISEMENT

Carmody to miss Holy Cross games as wife battles cancer

Wow. Sad to hear. Second the best wishes.

During my senior year, a few friends and I went to Indy for the BTT. After winning the opening round (IU, I believe), we got to the arena early for the second game, and settled into the secondary NU section in the corner when a woman started talking to us about school, our time as students, our support of the team and friendships with players over the years. Fast forward through a few minutes of pleasant conversation, she asked if these were our seats, and maybe we might like a little closer view. Follow me, she said, as she shepherded us right down to the first few rows of center court among the coaches' and players' families, just to provide a little thank-you to a group of seniors who had attended upwards of 80 games during some lean times as students. We lost to Purdue that night, ending our tenure in the student section, but we sure had a sweet view to do it.

Barbara is a really sweet woman who truly cared about NU and the students during the Carmodys' time here. Cancer sucks - I know it too well - and I wish her all the best in her fight.

Last edited:
During my senior year, a few friends and I went to Indy for the BTT. After winning the opening round (IU, I believe), a e got to the arena early for the second game, and settled into the secondary NU section in the corner when a woman started talking to us about school, our time as students, our support of the team and friendships with players over the years. Fast forward through a few minutes of pleasant conversation, she asked if these were our seats, and maybe we might like a little closer view. Follow me, she said, as she shepherded us right down to the first few rows of center court among the coaches' and players' families, just to provide a little thank-you to a group of seniors who had attended upwards of 80 games during some lean times as students. We lost to Purdue that night, ending our tenure in the student section, but we sure had a sweet view to do it.

Barbara is a really sweet woman who truly cared about NU and the students during the Carmodys' time here. Cancer sucks - I know it too well - and I wish her all the best in her fight.

Wonderful story and a reminder that we get caught up with anger over coaching and basketball and such, when it's small potatoes compared to the stuff that matters. Sending prayers to the Carmody's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT