ADVERTISEMENT

Cats #29 in Orlando Sentinel

I personally think NU is a top 20 team and will be in the top 10 by the end of this season.

Also, this statement by the Orlando Sentinel is a head scratcher:

"Jackson’s success has been fueled by a strong the (sic) offensive line. The unit returns four of the five starters from last season, led by left tackle Blake Hance."

Reactions: CatsDad
I personally think NU is a top 20 team and will be in the top 10 by the end of this season.

"Jackson’s success has been fueled by a strong the (sic) offensive line. The unit returns four of the five starters from last season, led by left tackle Blake Hance."

I have enjoyed reading this countdown but I'm not convinced they know much about three quarters of the teams.

Looking at our schedule and the returning strength of other B1G teams, I will be satisfied if we end the season 29th. I feel like the teams should be good but I felt that way last year.
In the end, the 2016 team was pretty good but was not prepared or was other wise distracted at the beginning of the season. Personally, I think injuries really throw our teams for an emotional loop. Maybe it is lack of depth or preparedness of the second string or Fitz gets cautious after a guy goes down, IDK but it sure seems like we fold up for a while after an injury.

Last edited:
For those of you who do not live in Florida and may not be familiar with Matt Murschel, he is considered to be a very knowledgeable college football writer and perhaps the top authority on high school football players in the state. That doesn't mean he is always right or an expert on every team, but he is an awful lot better than a lot of the preseason prognosticators who don't seem to know much at all. I have enjoyed reading his articles for years.

Fake News

I certainly don't expect them to be strong, but 120 seems way too low for any team in the big.
Lower than Rutgers (#93). That particular writer clearly sees Illinois as trending downward in a big way. #120 means that there is not a single team on their schedule rated lower than they are. Their game against Ball State (#74) suddenly looms as being pretty important to their season outlook. He ranks all of their OOC opponents higher than both Purdue and Rutgers.

So, his most likely path to returning to 3 wins is Ball State, Purdue, and Rutgers. Logical.

Another thing that is odd with these predictions is that Illinois could beat Ball State easily but still be ranked lower in the end because they will have a better record due to competition.

Worse news for Lovey is that he is projected this weak in a year where his crossover schedule with the East is about as weak as possible. OSU, Rutgers, Indiana.

I certainly don't expect them to be strong, but 120 seems way too low for any team in the big.
That is why I have said that while I enjoy this countdown, I'm not confident that the writer knows all the teams that well. OTOH maybe Illinois will go 0-12 this year and the guy will be right.

What was Rutgers in 2016?

While it would appear Illinois is trending downward, with losses in front 4 on defense and likely questions in the trenches on both sides; not sure #120 is overall rating, unless depth determines final standings.

Notre Dame would be my #29. I would raise Northwestern up to #23, similar to spot Wildcats were in at the end of the 2015 season.

fwiw

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT