ADVERTISEMENT

CATS ADD COMMIT NO. 12

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Three-star CB Ethan Bonner of The Woodlands (Texas) commits to NU while on an overnight visit.

Dang, a week ago was thinking that the 'Cats needed to add LB, WR, CB, S, DT and RB - and pretty much did that in 7 days.

Still would like to see another LB (who could very well be Jaylan Franklin out of MI) and WR in addition to a RB (tho the 'Cats are seemingly deep at the position right now), but esp. would like to see a DT that can clog up the middle.

Welcome to Ethan and all the other smart kids who committed recently.

Reactions: nu greek
He has the following track times/distances so far his junior year. These should improve over the next month or so and in his senior season. A good, explosive athlete.

100m - 11.33
200m - 22.04
400m - 49.08
LJ - 21'7"
TJ - 45'2.5"

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=9260180#/L0
He looked really fast on his film running receivers down from behind and across the field.
He had so many interceptions it was confusing to watch. It looked like top notch Texas competition, if the crowd is any indication.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Reactions: Inovacat
Three-star CB Ethan Bonner of The Woodlands (Texas) commits to NU while on an overnight visit.
I liked seeing him beat receivers to the the ball over and over. Especially liked the long chase down where he showed speed plus the old Walker one-more-play mentality.

A couple of years with a high quality physical fitness program which adds some meat to his bones while keeping or increasing his speed and he clearly can be a top B1G player.

11.33 isn't really blazing. I remember some of our players in the past going sub 11. Those jump marks are ridiculous though.

Considering he ran that time early the track season of his Junior year in HS, I think he is doing alright. Could easily be at or sub 11 by the time he is a senior if he works at it.

Reactions: Gladeskat
This looks like it could be one of those under the radar gets. Very exciting.

I liked seeing him beat receivers to the the ball over and over. Especially liked the long chase down where he showed speed plus the old Walker one-more-play mentality.

A couple of years with a high quality physical fitness program which adds some meat to his bones while keeping or increasing his speed and he clearly can be a top B1G player.

Seeing him Saturday, it looks like he has the frame to add good weight. Looked quite a bit bigger than Newsome, who I think we be a great player. Ethan played off the WR a little bit more than I expected to see in his tape, but I am sure that is the scheme he played. He did close very fast.

Seeing him Saturday, it looks like he has the frame to add good weight. Looked quite a bit bigger than Newsome, who I think we be a great player. Ethan played off the WR a little bit more than I expected to see in his tape, but I am sure that is the scheme he played. He did close very fast.

I wonder if his closing speed allowed him to play off. With a good view of the QB he could possible jump the route.

This looks like it could be one of those under the radar gets. Very exciting.

This always gets me. How can the big recruiting sites not have a rating for a guy with a bevy of offers, including 3 power 5's AND has been playing high level competion? His highlight show him playing at Baylor, UT, and AT&T stadium! He just finished his Junior year and it's not like he is out of BF Egypt. I believe he even made some all area teams. Not even a 2 star, a zero star like Fitz. If anything, this kid should a chip on his shoulder.

C'mon man, get with it including Rivals.

You are acting like Rivals national guys GAF about anything outside the 250.

This always gets me. How can the big recruiting sites not have a rating for a guy with a bevy of offers, including 3 power 5's AND has been playing high level competion? His highlight show him playing at Baylor, UT, and AT&T stadium! He just finished his Junior year and it's not like he is out of BF Egypt. I believe he even made some all area teams. Not even a 2 star, a zero star like Fitz. If anything, this kid should a chip on his shoulder.

I'm pretty sure your comment means that you have checked around and are not only referring to Rivals. From what I can tell he has no rating on ESPN, Scout or 247.

I'm pretty sure your comment means that you have checked around and are not only referring to Rivals. From what I can tell he has no rating on ESPN, Scout or 247.
Yes, FLA. Not taking a shot specifically at Rivals or any other rating service. However, my point is how or why does this happen when a kid gets plenty of offers and exposure?

It's like Jeremy Lin and hoops. Only now we're talking about a white guy and the cornerback position.

I didn't look because I know the woodlands has private schools aplenty, but if he went the the woodlands high school, that's one of the best athletic programs in the country. Stars in every sport from there.

Not rated is not the same as rated with no stars. Also anti white bias at CB position

Not rated is not the same as rated with no stars.

Of course not. The point is that the kid has been a starter for a major program in Texas, and none of the major services seem to have even noticed him.

Not rated is not the same as rated with no stars. Also anti white bias at CB position
Meh. Lots of good players, white and black, fall through the cracks of the Ratings Industy Media Journalistic Organizing Body (aka RIMJOB).

The great news is that our coaches find them and bring them to NU. Our recent class floors of no star / two star players contribute tons on the field. It has become a competitive advantage.

Last edited:
200, 400, and jumps aren't bad. Would ideally like to see a better 100 out of a corner, but his tape is good enough that it isn't as much of a concern.

Keep in mind these are times and jumps midway through his JUNIOR year track season. Solomon Vault (10.66s 100m) was running comparable times (11.30-11.34s) midway through his junior year. I'm not arguing that he will wind up with a comparable 100m time as Vault at the end of his senior year. I'm just arguing that athletes will lower their times over the course of the track season and over their career, and I expect Bonner's times and jumps will also improve.

Solomon Vault's track times in HS: https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=2830704#/L0

11.33 isn't really blazing. I remember some of our players in the past going sub 11. Those jump marks are ridiculous though.

See my post above. Also, Nick VanHoose's best track time in the only season he ran track (senior year) was around 11.5s, and he was a very good CB for NU. Track times improve greatly over a track season and between years. His jump marks are very good but not great right now. I expect Bonner's LJ will approach 23' by the time he's finished high school, which would be excellent. His 200m and 400m times are excellent already for a junior, and though they are not as revealing of football talent as the other events, those are two tough races to run, particularly the 400m.

As GCG mentioned, his track results are not as relevant as his good showing on film.

See my post above. Also, Nick VanHoose's best track time in the only season he ran track (senior year) was around 11.5s, and he was a very good CB for NU. Track times improve greatly over a track season and between years. His jump marks are very good but not great right now. I expect Bonner's LJ will approach 23' by the time he's finished high school, which would be excellent. His 200m and 400m times are excellent already for a junior, and though they are not as revealing of football talent as the other events, those are two tough races to run, particularly the 400m.

As GCG mentioned, his track results are not as relevant as his good showing on film.
I think one of the things that people miss is we are getting guys much earlier in this class. I mean the very beginning of track season (Jr) and with almost two full years of track to go. In the past, we were not getting them till the summer at the earliest and often the fall of Sr. year. As you say by the end of this track season, times and distances likely improve and with another full year plus of physical maturation ... In BB, it might be a growth spurt and FB, a lot of new muscle.

If this kid can give us Nick's production over his career, I love him already.

Also, as if it needed to be pointed out, track speed does not necessarily translate to football speed. There were guys who ran faster track times than Gale Sayers, but I never saw him get caught from behind in the NFL until he injured his knee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT