ADVERTISEMENT

Cats make the cut for 2017 G Maxwell Evans

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
2017 Houston combo guard Maxwell Evans put NU in his Top 10. It's still a pretty long list and he didn't eliminate a ton of schools, but the bottom line is the Cats are still in contention.

Good to see NU basketball going after players from the Houston area. Football has a big recruiting presence here, but I can't remember the last NU basketball player from Houston. I guess Tre Demps, from San Antonio, was the last recruit from Texas.

Good to see NU basketball going after players from the Houston area. Football has a big recruiting presence here, but I can't remember the last NU basketball player from Houston. I guess Tre Demps, from San Antonio, was the last recruit from Texas.

I was certainly a while ago, but Kevin O'Neil brought in a bunch of guys from Texas in just a couple recruiting classes: Drew Long, Winston Blake, Jason Burke, Pat Towne, perhaps others I'm forgetting.

Weren't they all from Plano?

I believe that Blake, Burke and Towne were all from Plano, while Long was from Houston. By the way, Drew Long is an assistance coach for Air Force. It's interesting that so many of O'Neil's players have become Div. 1 assistant coaches: Tavaras Hardy, Nate Pomeday, Ben Johnson and Drew Long.

Over the long haul name recognition and brand are very important. It might only be a little help but the more time NU spends in any geographic area in any sport, the more the name brand is exposed. The more the name is known the better the opportunities.

Can't imagine it would be bad to be Texas' B1G team.

Steve Lepore also.

Aaron Jennings is an NAIA head coach.

Crazy. That's like a third of O'Neil's recruits. The one that I'm surprised is not an assistant coach is Jitim Young. I would think he'd be a great recruiter and assistant.

Crazy. That's like a third of O'Neil's recruits. The one that I'm surprised is not an assistant coach is Jitim Young. I would think he'd be a great recruiter and assistant.

Pretty sure he's active in high school basketball, coaching primarily at a catholic school in Chicago. Same idea, different level. The rigors of collegiate coaching aren't for everyone (as someone who "pulled the plug" after three seasons with the football program, I can personally attest).

Over the long haul name recognition and brand are very important. It might only be a little help but the more time NU spends in any geographic area in any sport, the more the name brand is exposed. The more the name is known the better the opportunities.

Can't imagine it would be bad to be Texas' B1G team.
Deron Williams was from Dallas. So was Bracey Wright. Quantity, not quality. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT