ADVERTISEMENT

Cats offer Patrick Baldwin Jr.

Im almost certain Milos Kostic was offered as a freshman. He committed at the same time as Olah, and never made it to NU.

I see that Illinois offered Pat Jr.

Let's eliminate the chance that Pat Sr. somehow ends up on the Illinois staff.....what is the % chance the Pat Jr. goes to Illinois?

Let's eliminate the chance that Pat Sr. somehow ends up on the Illinois staff.....what is the % chance the Pat Jr. goes to Illinois?
Maybe a opening will suddenly happen on the NU staff.

He’d have to get fired from his current head coaching job first.

He’d have to get fired from his current head coaching job first.

Or, on the other hand, Illinois could fire Underwood after a couple years and hire Baldwin to be their next head coach. That’s a more likely — and vomit-inducing — scenario.

Let’s root flor the 50%. He is potentially a program changing recruit

If I was a betting man, I'd say 12.5% Baldwin goes to Duke, 50% he goes to NU and 37.5% he goes to wherever his Dad is the coach.

I like the break down, but I'm not in agreement with the percentages.

5% - Where his Dad is coaching. PB Sr. is going to need to step it up, and unfortunately, he's not off to a stunning start at UM.

55% - NU ... IF makes the tourney again

45% - Other top 10/blue blood program

Reverse the percentages if NU doesn't make the tourney again in the next two years.

Reactions: IGNORE
I like the break down, but I'm not in agreement with the percentages.

5% - Where his Dad is coaching. PB Sr. is going to need to step it up, and unfortunately, he's not off to a stunning start at UM.

55% - NU ... IF makes the tourney again

45% - Other top 10/blue blood program

Reverse the percentages if NU doesn't make the tourney again in the next two years.

If you add in -5% chance to go to Illinois, the math will add up. ;)

Seems like a great kid. He knows Collins and the program well. I hope he comes to NU it would be a great fit. Regardless i hope he picks a good school and good basketball school. He will have lots of choices

Reactions: Titanium999
him and christie could really vault the program to new heights

Do you have any particular insights?

Even though this is a long way off, I think PBJ is a crucial recruit for Collins. He literally grew up on our floor. Unless he decides to play for his dad at a lower level like Ray McCallum did (or, I guess, if Pat gets hired elsewhere, but I think he'll need more time to climb the ladder), there's no reason we're not coming into this with a huge advantage over everyone else.

Six-foot-eight freshman phenom Patrick Baldwin Jr. is the son of former NU point guard and assistant Patrick Baldwin. He will be one of the top recruits in the nation in the 2021 class.

Strange that this article says no NU offer:

He has shown interest in numerous universities, Northwestern being one that has not yet offered but shown interest.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2019/7/5/20678378/patrick-baldwin-jr-big-ten-basketball-recruiting-edge

Seems like a great kid. He knows Collins and the program well. I hope he comes to NU it would be a great fit. Regardless i hope he picks a good school and good basketball school. He will have lots of choices
Who cares about fit. he would be the best recruit in NU BB history! Wasn't Magic Johnson a 6-8 PG?

Reactions: Titanium999
Who cares about fit. he would be the best recruit in NU BB history! Wasn't Magic Johnson a 6-8 PG?

I met Magic in Maui back in 1997, or thereabouts.

I'm six four or six five....in college I was around 210.....at thirty I was 230. Played tons of bball.

I felt that I was about 1/2 or 1/3 the size of Magic. Not just a height thing....he was huge. A power forward body with mits the size of turkey platters playing point guard.

You know what, I was pals with Andre Goode when I met Magic....Magic was the same height....bigger hind quarters, bigger arms and bigger chest.

I met Magic in Maui back in 1997, or thereabouts.

I'm six four or six five....in college I was around 210.....at thirty I was 230. Played tons of bball.

I felt that I was about 1/2 or 1/3 the size of Magic. Not just a height thing....he was huge. A power forward body with mits the size of turkey platters playing point guard.

You know what, I was pals with Andre Goode when I met Magic....Magic was the same height....bigger hind quarters, bigger arms and bigger chest.

Hey Medill, I played ball w Magic in MAUI. 1996. Local high school noon games. He came for about a week. Where you out there too? We may have many crossed paths. How bizarre.

I still remember grabbing a loose ball, breaking down the court for the layup and a shadow flys overhead and swats it off the backboard.

Down comes Magic with that huge smile and wagged his finger at me. Wouldn’t trade that blocked shot for the world. A nice guy, a competitor, a good human. That’s my take and I never had the chance to chat with him off the court.

Hey Medill, I played ball w Magic in MAUI. 1996. Local high school noon games. He came for about a week. Where you out there too? We may have many crossed paths. How bizarre.

I still remember grabbing a loose ball, breaking down the court for the layup and a shadow flys overhead and swats it off the backboard.

Down comes Magic with that huge smile and wagged his finger at me. Wouldn’t trade that blocked shot for the world. A nice guy, a competitor, a good human. That’s my take and I never had the chance to chat with him off the court.
Great story, Bobbo. You won't forget that if you live to be 100. :D

So it’s down to Duke or Milwaukee?
Only on this message board do people think there's a 50% chance he comes to NU. This kid can pick any school in the country. Now I love NU, but there just isn't much of a argument for why he'd come here. Even though he grew up here, the atmosphere and history of NU makes it such that kids aren't really dreaming of playing here.

Of course, Coach Collins should go all out for him. But I think the expectations around here need to be a little more realistic.

Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE
I mean there is one thing we could do to increase our chances . . .but last time I suggested it everyone (i.e., Mikewebb) was too afraid of rocking the boat with my very reasonable, understated and feasible suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE
Only on this message board do people think there's a 50% chance he comes to NU. This kid can pick any school in the country. Now I love NU, but there just isn't much of a argument for why he'd come here. Even though he grew up here, the atmosphere and history of NU makes it such that kids aren't really dreaming of playing here.

Of course, Coach Collins should go all out for him. But I think the expectations around here need to be a little more realistic.

Sure.

But then you have the case of Lebron. He's living in mansion on the ocean where it's 80 degrees in January. Miami/Miami beach and everything that goes with it....the food, the clubs, the vibe. And he makes a conscious decision to leave that and return to.....(wait for it)....Cleveland. A decision I admire but am flummoxed by.

Who knows what's in the heart and head of PBJ. He's an excellent student and outstanding basketball player. NU may be his dream. I think given his upbringing, a Big Ten school other than NU would be tough. Duke has the academics and I think eliminates non high academic schools such as Kansas. Could be USC or UCLA are a draw. And the wild card is that if his dad puts it together this year and has a winning season he may move up and that would be more palatable to his son. If Minny stuggles, for example, which is probable.

I mean there is one thing we could do to increase our chances . . .but last time I suggested it everyone (i.e., Mikewebb) was too afraid of rocking the boat with my very reasonable, understated and feasible suggestion.
Must have missed it. Could you re-post said suggestion. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT