ADVERTISEMENT

Our guy is in the portal: Malik Mack, Harvard

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
17, 4, and 5 as a freshman. 34% from 3. As a freshman.

In his neatly symmetrical braids, the shifty lefty uses hesis, crossovers and footwork to break down defenders as a member of the Harvard Crimson. Mack, a six-foot-one freshman, scores at will and possesses elite point guard vision.

No comment on whether his smile tilts up on the side a bit, or how good he is at the Griddy, or whether his older brother is the all-time leading scorer somewhere.

This. Is. Our. Guy.

He’s from Maryland so I guess I get it but he’s got a Maryland tattoo on his arm… I don’t like our chances lol

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
Why would he want to go play for a second-tier BIG program just because it's closer to home when he could come play for a perennial NCAA tournament team??!!
He looks like a talent, but I'm not sure I trust his decision-making.
He's a freshman leaving Harvard to do what exactly?
Hopefully play in the NBA?
I'm kidding, sort of.
If he comes to NU, then he's totally redeemed...

Penn's point guard Slajchert might fit better as a grad transfer.

I'm kidding, sort of.

Look at Slajchert’s assist numbers. Can he distribute?

Look at Slajchert’s assist numbers. Can he distribute?
Yeah I noticed those. His teammates were not good.
I'd be more concerned about his defensive ability. Evan Miyakawa has him as much better on offense than defense.

I mention Slajchert because he fits the Langborg mold, was Penn's best player and was the only guy on the team with a positive +/-. And because Kansas, Indiana and all those schools have contacted him.

I'm kidding, sort of.

I am positive we would take either and celebrate very loudly.

Yeah I noticed those. His teammates were not good.
I'd be more concerned about his defensive ability. Evan Miyakawa has him as much better on offense than defense.

I mention Slajchert because he fits the Langborg mold, was Penn's best player and was the only guy on the team with a positive +/-. And because Kansas, Indiana and all those schools have contacted him.
As I expressed on other post - there are definite positives - but LISTED 3 inches, 25 pounds shorter/lighter than Langborg has me scared for his defense. Not to mention, wearing down in a more physical style.

But I think that the Ivy guys saw what Langborg did this year. I hear they're a reasonably smart crew. So I'm thinking that may have even taken note. Let's hope!!!!!!!!!!

As I expressed on other post - there are definite positives - but LISTED 3 inches, 25 pounds shorter/lighter than Langborg has me scared for his defense. Not to mention, wearing down in a more physical style.

But I think that the Ivy guys saw what Langborg did this year. I hear they're a reasonably smart crew. So I'm thinking that may have even taken note. Let's hope!!!!!!!!!!
I'm less worried about lighter people wearing down. They have to do less work than heavier people. (mass times acceleration over distance)

I'm kidding, sort of.

Get NIL $$$

I’d take him in a heartbeat, and had a gut feeling He was going to hit the portal after not seeing him very much in the beginning of the season. If I’m Collins I’m going right at him.
I love the name.

I love the fit.

I love how aligned we are!

CCC - please offer this young man a bag!

I'll be the party pooper. With only 2 schollies opened I would have no interest in Essegian. He's not a point guard. He's 6'4 and not particularly athletic so I am not sold on burning a 2-4 spot on him.

Now Tony Perkins from Iowa would make me scream like a school girl.

Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Essential is unidimensional. Need a point guard. Perkins would be great. Carlyle would be optimal

Tony Perkins

MinutesPointsReboundsAssistsStealsTurnoversFG%3P%FT Att.

Just the evolution of his points/reb/ass should make you salivate. He raises it a smidge, in a team that is solid and he's borderline all conference. He will be a super senior, tons of experience, not in an Ivy, in the B1G. He's strong, he attempts FT at a higher rate. Sure it would be nice if he could shoot better, particularly from 3. But damn, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at this guy.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Ft Wayne native. MPG went from 27 to 7 this year. Passed over for Blackwell, who can play.
Blackwell can play, but Essegian suffered a back injury and never got into the flow of the season. Basketball can be tough that way. If he has healed up, I'd take him in a second.

As for Mack, I'm guessing his priorities shifted and he's looking for the bright lights and a big bag. I like Carlyle better because of the competition he faced this year.

Reactions: NUcats92
Tony Perkins

MinutesPointsReboundsAssistsStealsTurnoversFG%3P%FT Att.

Just the evolution of his points/reb/ass should make you salivate. He raises it a smidge, in a team that is solid and he's borderline all conference. He will be a super senior, tons of experience, not in an Ivy, in the B1G. He's strong, he attempts FT at a higher rate. Sure it would be nice if he could shoot better, particularly from 3. But damn, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at this guy.
Perkins was second team all conference this year

He’s going to get PAID

I really liked Essegian as a Freshman. When he entered the game against us to great applause in Minneapolis, I asked the Wisconsin fan next to me what had happened to him this year. He said that the injury just took him out of the rotation, and he never really got the chance to earn his spot back, but that he was a great teammate and when he played he looked just fine. He may not be a classic point guard, but he has shown he can score in the B1G. With Boo and Borg departing, we can use someone who has proven he can do that.
EDIT: That said, yeah, I'd take Perkins over him in a heartbeat.

The Athletic's portal rankings on players of interest:

1-Mack
2-Carlyle
19-Stojakovic
21-Perkins
37-Kanye Cleary (I don't think he's been talked about here, but as long as the reason he was dismissed from the team wasn't so bad, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires)
44-Essegian
55-Slajchert
63-Nwoko

The Athletic's portal rankings on players of interest:

1-Mack
2-Carlyle
19-Stojakovic
21-Perkins
37-Kanye Cleary (I don't think he's been talked about here, but as long as the reason he was dismissed from the team wasn't so bad, I wouldn't mind kicking the tires)
44-Essegian
55-Slajchert
63-Nwoko
Am I right when I say the only guy we ever landed who was on a top 100 list of sorts was Ryan Taylor?

If Trey Townsend at Oakland does hit the portal as a grad transfer, which is likely, I'd love to see him at NU. He'd provide a lot of additional flexibility to the lineup, and he's an absolutely outstanding young man.

If Trey Townsend at Oakland does hit the portal as a grad transfer, which is likely, I'd love to see him at NU. He'd provide a lot of additional flexibility to the lineup, and he's an absolutely outstanding young man.
Man, you are smoking crack. Just like me with Tony Perkins. Both crack heads we are.

Guys like those are going much bluer blood than ours and getting paid.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Man, you are smoking crack. Just like me with Tony Perkins. Both crack heads we are.

Guys like those are going much bluer blood than ours and getting paid.
Yeah, and for all our talk on Mack and Carlyle, I'm afraid the same fate awaits them as well. If they still want to go to a great school and play big-time basketball, why not go to Duke? And if they want to play big-time basketball but no longer need big-time academics, their options open up even more. I feel like NU has a chance with Mack, but it's not a very big chance.

Reactions: GatoLouco
I really liked Essegian as a Freshman. When he entered the game against us to great applause in Minneapolis, I asked the Wisconsin fan next to me what had happened to him this year. He said that the injury just took him out of the rotation, and he never really got the chance to earn his spot back, but that he was a great teammate and when he played he looked just fine. He may not be a classic point guard, but he has shown he can score in the B1G. With Boo and Borg departing, we can use someone who has proven he can do that.
EDIT: That said, yeah, I'd take Perkins over him in a heartbeat.
If we had more scholarships, I would take him. I think Collins made a mistake last year when he gave out 3 scholarships. He was recruiting from a position of weakness and would have been better served using at least 1 of those spots on a grad transfer point guard who could have backed up Boo and given him flexibility next year. I hope I’m wrong and these guys eventually are rotation players. But no need to reach on high school recruits with the transfer portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Yeah, and for all our talk on Mack and Carlyle, I'm afraid the same fate awaits them as well. If they still want to go to a great school and play big-time basketball, why not go to Duke? And if they want to play big-time basketball but no longer need big-time academics, their options open up even more. I feel like NU has a chance with Mack, but it's not a very big chance.
Just for context, Blake Preston was ranked 229 and Langborg was ranked 267 in last year’s Rivals portal rankings.

NU can certainly be in the mix for guys ranked higher than that, but a lot of the chatter on here is about top 25 ranked transfers this cycle. There’s arguably more interest in those guys who have proven it in college than there is for 5 star McDonald’s All Americans coming out of high school. Why do we think NU has any shot with these guys (Mack, Carlyle, Perkins, Townsend, etc.)?

Reactions: GatoLouco
If you mean transfers I don’t know but walker lambiotte transferred in and was top 100 out of high school and Evan Eschmeyer was #33 out of high school.
Michael Thompson I was a 5-star from Duke so definitely top 100. Bernard Cote was a 4-star from Kentucky so likely top 100.

If you mean transfers I don’t know but walker lambiotte transferred in and was top 100 out of high school and Evan Eschmeyer was #33 out of high school.
Right. Nance was #88 in the 247 composite. Kopp was #114 in the composite but #86 on just the 247 rating.

But I am talking about transfers. I have googled it and am finding it very hard to find info. I have some memory of seeing Ryan Taylor listed at like 30-50 on some best transfers list.

We were in decent spot, returned a lot of talent. We are in that kind of spot, one could argue even better today. But, at the same time, the competitive landscape now includes NIL.

I just caught myself on the Tony Perkins kind of enthusiasm. I am curbing my enthusiasm. Langborg 2.0 (not the player, but the kind of get) kind of recruit would be incredible.

Just for context, Blake Preston was ranked 229 and Langborg was ranked 267 in last year’s Rivals portal rankings.

NU can certainly be in the mix for guys ranked higher than that, but a lot of the chatter on here is about top 25 ranked transfers this cycle. There’s arguably more interest in those guys who have proven it in college than there is for 5 star McDonald’s All Americans coming out of high school. Why do we think NU has any shot with these guys (Mack, Carlyle, Perkins, Townsend, etc.)?
I don’t know how many of these guys can get through admissions but last year there were plenty of really good players in the 75-150 range. Mast and Williams at Nebraska, Hawkins at Minnesota, Domask, etc. But Collins may have his hands tied on most of these guys.

• Love
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT