ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports three round mock draft

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
At number 13 the Los Angeles Chargers select Rashawn Slater, Offensive Tackle, from Northwestern University

at number 31 the Kansas City Chiefs select Greg Newsome, cornerback, Northwestern University

screw the stadium. Who cares about the facility by the lake when Northwestern puts two players into round one of the NFL draft there is one message loud and clear...Northwestern coaches can develop players and get you to the NFL. And prepare you for life.

Recruiting message 101!!!!!

At number 13 the Los Angeles Chargers select Rashawn Slater, Offensive Tackle, from Northwestern University

at number 31 the Kansas City Chiefs select Greg Newsome, cornerback, Northwestern University

screw the stadium. Who cares about the facility by the lake when Northwestern puts two players into round one of the NFL draft there is one message loud and clear...Northwestern coaches can develop players and get you to the NFL. And prepare you for life.

Except Rashawn won’t be there that late, will he?

I really don't want that. It is a crappy team in a crappy NFL market. I'd love to see him in Dallas or Miami. Chicago too, but that won't happen.
Cincinnati is a great market for NU football talent. We’ve landed a lot of studs out of the southwestern part of Ohio, particularly some great linemen. If they draft Slater, if anything it should help solidify that key pipeline.

Cincinnati is a great market for NU football talent. We’ve landed a lot of studs out of the southwestern part of Ohio, particularly some great linemen. If they draft Slater, if anything it should help solidify that key pipeline.
You could say the same about Dallas. The Bengals are not a good franchise and he’d never get any exposure there.

You could say the same about Dallas. The Bengals are not a good franchise and he’d never get any exposure there.
Who have we signed from the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

I can recall a number from Houston. For some reason I’m not able to think of many from Jerryworld.

I can recall a number from Houston. For some reason I’m not able to think of many from Jerryworld.
The Cowboys fan base extends well beyond DFW. It is religion down in Texas, and much more popular than the Texans. A good offensive lineman blocking for Dak Prescott andEzekiel Elliott is going to get a lot of attention all over Texas.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
The Cowboys fan base extends well beyond DFW. It is religion down in Texas, and much more popular than the Texans. A good offensive lineman blocking for Dak Prescott andEzekiel Elliott is going to get a lot of attention all over Texas.
I will take it one step further than that, seems to me the Cowboys are on one of the national broadcasts almost every week. If you do a good job on the Cowboys you get national attention.

Reactions: NUCat320
One of the greatest offensive linemen of all time played for the Bengals.

Listen, as a lifelong Bengals fan, I know that franchise is a dump and Mike Brown is probably the worst owner in professional sports. However, they do occassionally put out some really good offenses and with their young talent on offense, that side of the ball could be fun to watch for the next few years.

Most mock drafts have the Bengals taking this guy from Oregon. Best OT in the draft.
Penei Sewell - OT Oregon
Mel Kiper Jr. - ESPN
Analysis
- He's the clear top offensive tackle in this class. I have compared Sewell to Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz, and Cincinnati should be thrilled to get another foundational player.

Most mock drafts have the Bengals taking this guy from Oregon. Best OT in the draft.
Penei Sewell - OT Oregon
Mel Kiper Jr. - ESPN
Analysis
- He's the clear top offensive tackle in this class. I have compared Sewell to Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz, and Cincinnati should be thrilled to get another foundational player.

Some prefer Slater...

E. Brown and B. Jackson are from Denton, which is basically a DFW suburb now. G. Mann is from Fort Worth. In the 2021 class, there's Adeyi from Mansfield.

Lots of players from Houston (including Slater), though, strangely, none in the last two classes. 😕

Reactions: CatManTrue

The fact that NU is in serious contention for both Jaden Mickey and Benjamin Morrison in the 2022 class suggests that message is already out there.

Still gotta get both of them to commit, but that would be the best CB duo (at least by rankings) in a single class... ever? Though Newsome + Hampton in 2018 turned out quite good.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT