ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Predictions

I think today will show just how much firepower Bama and Clemson have relative to the rest of the P5. I think both games are likely a beat down:

Bama 48
ND 16

Clemson 41
OSU 19

I don’t disagree with the ultimate winners but I think you’ll be surprised that both games are closer than what your predictions suggest. It also would not shock me if OSU upsets Clemson. I am certainly rooting for the Big ten.

I think OSU will have a high chip on their shoulder, especially with the opposing coach's statement: "And so, if you didn’t play nine games, I just didn’t consider you from the top 10." (Sweeney ranked OSU #11 in his Coaches Poll ballot.)

OSU 41
Clemson 31

The other game will definitely be a blowout. I believe ND is overrated (as they usually are) and will get pummeled by Bama.

Alabama 45
ND 10

Notre Dame is going to by about 40.

Ohio State is going to lose by about 14.

I think today will show just how much firepower Bama and Clemson have relative to the rest of the P5. I think both games are likely a beat down:

Bama 48
ND 16

Clemson 41
OSU 19

I learned a long time ago to never again underestimate OSU football. Not even when they’re playing the best QB I’ve seen play in my 50 years of watching all things college football.

GOUNUII

Alabama 27- Norte Dame 7
Clemson 38- OSU 17

I do have as also possible, Alabama winning in a blowout and The Clemson/OSU game in a close game either team could win.

My great prognostic skills have me picking almost every scenario except a ND victoryr an OSU blowout win. Lol

I learned a long time ago to never again underestimate OSU football. Not even when they’re playing the best QB I’ve seen play in my 50 years of watching all things college football.

GOUNUII
I’ll go ahead and eat my crow right now. OSU looks more athletic and more physical. Fields is unconscious (before and after he broke his rib).

How in earth did we hold OSU to 22?

Venables gets all the press. But look at the players he has. Can you imagine what Hank could do with Clemson talent? No comparison between the two IMHO.
If Hank was 25 years younger, he'd be getting $2m a year offers to be DC somewhere.

He's literally the best DC in the business and has never really had an interest in HC.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
I’ll go ahead and eat my crow right now. OSU looks more athletic and more physical. Fields is unconscious (before and after he broke his rib).

How in earth did we hold OSU to 22?

Well played Hungry Jack.

You had conventional analysis supporting your prediction. I had 50 years of watching Buckeye football. Just when you think they’re vulnerable .... BOOM ... they remind you with force that they recruit/select only the very best.

It’s like the great pro golfers who have DIR (distance in reserve) off the tee. Nobody expected to see the Bucks throw to their large and very talented TEs in the red zone tonight. Nobody but Buckeye followers knew they had that in reserve.

Hope they can keep the hammer down in the 2nd half. Dabo needs a heaping of humble pie.

GOUNUII

Reactions: drewjin
Well played Hungry Jack.

You had conventional analysis supporting your prediction. I had 50 years of watching Buckeye football. Just when you think they’re vulnerable .... BOOM ... they remind you with force that they recruit/select only the very best.

It’s like the great pro golfers who have DIR (distance in reserve) off the tee. Nobody expected to see the Bucks throw to their large and very talented TEs in the red zone tonight. Nobody but Buckeye followers knew they had that in reserve.

Hope they can keep the hammer down in the 2nd half. Dabo needs a heaping of humble pie.

GOUNUII
I was expecting something close to a mismatch. I was half-right. OSU imposed their will on Clemson for those 30 minutes.

Now it’s going to be big dose of Sermon, and play action off him. Clemson is in deep.

I’m as big a Hank believer as anyone, but the OSU team we are seeing tonight is not the one we saw in Indy.
I do think there is an element of truth to that, but I also think at full strength we wouldn't give them 35 in a half.

Of course he did. But there’s more to it than that.
Such as? Don’t tell me Olave when OSU has several other 4* WRs. Our fan base is now buying into the “oh it’s all about the other team having a missing player or an off day.” Did you see how our DBs and LBs played the pass I’m against OSU? Out of this world.
Based on this logic, watching this game, OSU D isn’t that good. Lawrence is just having an off day.

Yep in fact, Herbie just said exactly “just how good is Northwestern’s defense” to limit Fields and OSU like they did. Made a point to shout out NU’s D during and OSU- Clemson playoff game when he had no other reason to do so. Herbstriet is not making excuses for OSU but some on this board are?

People including some Cat's fans have a hard time believing we had one of the best defenses in the country. NU had a defense good enough to compete with anyone we just didn't have the firepower on offense to hang with Ohio St. or Alabama for 60 minutes.

Last edited:
The return of DocCatsFan.......
I've already apologized to all the other Big Ten schools for NU being in the championship game. Ohio State felt sorry for the 'Cats, which is why the Buckeyes spotted them the halftime lead and were generous enough to score only 22 points.

People including some Cat's fans have a hard time believing we had one of the best defenses in the country. NU you had a defense good enough to compete with anyone we just didn't have the firepower on offense to hang with Ohio St. or Alabama for 60 minutes.
That is the issue for NU. College football today is all about offense. Until Fitz can find a way to unlock the offense the ceiling will be lower than his defenses deserve.

• Love
Trey Sermon on 3 and 13 just trucked the Clemson defense. Maybe our Run D isn't that bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT