ADVERTISEMENT

Chase and Boo- Will they return?

giphy.gif

If they do return, and Brooks and Matt continue to develop, the team has to be in contention for a conference crown and very deep run next March.

It would mean so much to this program to have back-to-back strong seasons. Would completely change the perception of program and transform recruiting.

If they do return, and Brooks and Matt continue to develop, the team has to be in contention for a conference crown and very deep run next March.

It would mean so much to this program to have back-to-back strong seasons. Would completely change the perception of program and transform recruiting.

$500k per. Run it back.

Every year and every team is different. I saw that the reigning NCAA champ has not made the sweet 16 now for the last 6 years!

Expectations often derail teams that are not mentally tough. NC was awful this year after starting the season ranked number 1. Team chemistry is real and can often be fragile. Think of the Cats post initial tourney. I am just celebrating this very enjoyable season. What happens next year will unfold in due time.

Every year and every team is different. I saw that the reigning NCAA champ has not made the sweet 16 now for the last 6 years!

Expectations often derail teams that are not mentally tough. NC was awful this year after starting the season ranked number 1. Team chemistry is real and can often be fragile. Think of the Cats post initial tourney. I am just celebrating this very enjoyable season. What happens next year will unfold in due time.
Yeah, I don't think you can ever say anything is guaranteed in these sports.

On paper, a return of Chase and Boo sounds amazing. But the games aren't played on paper and chemistry/development/etc. all matter and can change dramatically from year-to-year.

This past season was amazing. Remember it for what it was, and then we look forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheC and rogerkim
Fighting through this loss as a team may inspire them to come back. The fact that Boo and Chase were shut down totally in the first half leaves some unfinished business for them … if they had carried the team, had career games and we still lost despite their best performances, maybe they’d feel like they’ve left it all out there. Audige was a beast for a good stretch of the second half but Boo must have been frustrated the entire night not being able to score.

Fighting through this loss as a team may inspire them to come back. The fact that Boo and Chase were shut down totally in the first half leaves some unfinished business for them … if they had carried the team, had career games and we still lost despite their best performances, maybe they’d feel like they’ve left it all out there. Audige was a beast for a good stretch of the second half but Boo must have been frustrated the entire night not being able to score.

That was the #1 defense in the country focused on stopping Boo and letting other people beat them. Audige stepped up and Boo started going late, but overall a great game for both of them considering that was the most talented team and defense they've seen all year and we almost won. I don't think they return, they can start a pro career overseas, but if they do return, nothing will be given, they will have to earn it all again. We saw what happened with the last tourney team that brought back 4 all big ten caliber starters.

Would any of the players that are currently in a secondary role, say like Berry, be unhappy if our two stars returned and sort of block them from moving into the "star" position?

One question is what is the difference between NIL money and overseas money.

It’s 80-200k on average but if you get to the top euro league it came be 400k to a million.

I have to believe boo and chase are in the 100-300 range so a real NIL package could be better for a year.

One question is what is the difference between NIL money and overseas money.

It’s 80-200k on average but if you get to the top euro league it came be 400k to a million.

I have to believe boo and chase are in the 100-300 range so a real NIL package could be better for a year.
Other consideration is of whether a player needs to get through rookie contract years before getting better money.

I have 0 knowledge of that issue as it relates to overseas leagues, but it's a consideration for US leagues where the real money typically isn't until the 2nd contract, so there's an incentive to get through rookie contract as quickly as possible.

That was the #1 defense in the country focused on stopping Boo and letting other people beat them. Audige stepped up and Boo started going late, but overall a great game for both of them considering that was the most talented team and defense they've seen all year and we almost won. I don't think they return, they can start a pro career overseas, but if they do return, nothing will be given, they will have to earn it all again. We saw what happened with the last tourney team that brought back 4 all big ten caliber starters.
This is why, if they do return, we need one more reliable scoring option from the transfer portal. But then, that incredible chemistry this team had has to be adjusted. They could do it.

This is why, if they do return, we need one more reliable scoring option from the transfer portal. But then, that incredible chemistry this team had has to be adjusted. They could do it.
An egoless shooter is the only thing this team should be looking for. It also happens to be one of the things (the only thing?) that translates from lower to higher levels. (Duncan Robinson started at Williams College, then to Michigan, then to the NBA.)

Wynter at PSU and Spencer at Rutgers seem to have been this seasons most obvious examples.

Names to look up, simply by scanning ncaa leaders:
Drew Friberg, gs, Princeton then Belmont
Moses Wood, gs., Tulane, UNLV, Portland
Gabe Dorsey, jr., Vandy, William & Mary
WHEZA PANZO, gr, Stetson

I have no idea if any of these guys are in the portal. They are all big wing types. Operating on the assumption here that Barney and Martinelli will be the primary power forward next year. Dudes both play hard D.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin

All good and valid points. But the key next year - assuming we have Boo and Chase back - will be other players like Berry and Barney making more makeable shots. Just as we saw this year.

Boo and Chase and an improved Matt can get us only so far. It's the other guys IMO that will need to create a larger margin for error by improving their shooting percentages. Only then will we realistically contend for a conference championship and deep run in the tourney.

GOUNUII

An egoless shooter is the only thing this team should be looking for. It also happens to be one of the things (the only thing?) that translates from lower to higher levels. (Duncan Robinson started at Williams College, then to Michigan, then to the NBA.)

Wynter at PSU and Spencer at Rutgers seem to have been this seasons most obvious examples.

WHEZA PANZO, gr, Stetson

I have no idea if any of these guys are in the portal. They are all big wing types. Operating on the assumption here that Barney and Martinelli will be the primary power forward next year. Dudes both play hard D.
The key to getting one of these guys would be one who can play D

Reactions: drewjin and MC_Cat
I don't think they return, they can start a pro career overseas, but if they do return, nothing will be given, they will have to earn it all again.
For context, John Shurna - a 6’9” sharp shooter who could also rebound and play inside (which essentially made him perfect for Europe) and also camped with the Knicks - made $470k on his first deal, I believe. Meanwhile, Boo and Chase are pure guards, which is the easiest position to export because we have so many across all NCAA divisions, creating a glut of options for teams. They’ll need to compete with everyone else who is graduating, plus everyone else who is already a pro out there, for the limited spots earmarked for foreigners. Making $250-300k in NIL might be an easier and better way to transition to being a pro.

I believe that the player development resources NU and the Collins family tree would put into Boo, Audige and Beran would vastly outweigh anything they would get really anywhere else

Did adding Nance break them?

Remember that two of them getting hurt did a lot to derail them

For context, John Shurna - a 6’9” sharp shooter who could also rebound and play inside (which essentially made him perfect for Europe) and also camped with the Knicks - made $470k on his first deal, I believe. Meanwhile, Boo and Chase are pure guards, which is the easiest position to export because we have so many across all NCAA divisions, creating a glut of options for teams. They’ll need to compete with everyone else who is graduating, plus everyone else who is already a pro out there, for the limited spots earmarked for foreigners. Making $250-300k in NIL might be an easier and better way to transition to being a pro.
Shurna is a good comp because he is like an ideal player for the European game. Absolutely ideal. I 100% agree that Boo and Chase’s best money opportunity next year is in the college game, either at NU or elsewhere.

WHEZA PANZO, gr, Stetson

Wynter from Drexel is a great example as is Andrew Funk from Bucknell. PSU already going hard after Josh Cohen a transfer from St. Francis (PA) who is said to be visiting this week.

Just saw that Armando Bacot is coming back to UNC next year. Just like our three guys, Bacot will be turning 24 next year. The implication certainly is that he's being taken care of financially to return, so I think there's reason to believe we'll see more guys with play out their eligibility rather than jump to a Europe/G League situation.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
My question about will they/won't they?...What is a typical or reasonable timeline? I'm sure CCC will respect the time they will require in order to make their their deliberations, but at the same time, would want to know ASAP--especially if they decide to go, so that he can recruit accordingly.

Final four weekend usually has a three point all star game like contest and activities.

You don’t want to see either of boo or audige participating.

Just saw that Armando Bacot is coming back to UNC next year. Just like our three guys, Bacot will be turning 24 next year. The implication certainly is that he's being taken care of financially to return, so I think there's reason to believe we'll see more guys with play out their eligibility rather than jump to a Europe/G League situation.
He needs another year to get better for the NBA.

Oscar from Kentucky was taken care of. No NBA potential.

He needs another year to get better for the NBA.

Oscar from Kentucky was taken care of. No NBA potential.
Read he made over $500K in NIL this year and is speculated he will make over a million by staying. He does not fit the NBA. There's no million contract for him overseas.

Read he made over $500K in NIL this year and is speculated he will make over a million by staying. He does not fit the NBA. There's no million contract for him overseas.
Sure but thats Kentucky.
About as good as Indiana but a lot more desperate to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT