ADVERTISEMENT

Will Boo Buie’s scoring record ever be broken?

Will any Wildcat ever score more than Boo (2,187 points)?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Boo Buie ended up with 2,187 points in his 5 seasons (along with 618 assists, 417 rebounds, 143 steals, and only 313 turnovers).

Will Boo’s scoring record ever be broken? Note that most players will only have 4 seasons moving forward.

How is it possible there are people saying no? Sooner or later will be. And Boo will be there to offer his congratulations.

The record requires, with no injuries, to average 17 ppg.

Reactions: NUCat320
How is it possible there are people saying no? Sooner or later will be. And Boo will be there to offer his congratulations.

The answer is no because it is unlikely a guy will get five full years again and anyone who averages 17 ppg over their career won't be at Northwestern for four years. They will either enter the portal or, if our program keeps rising, enter the draft.

The answer is no because it is unlikely a guy will get five full years again and anyone who averages 17 ppg over their career won't be at Northwestern for four years. They will either enter the portal or, if our program keeps rising, enter the draft.
I disagree. While it is unlikely that anyone will play 5 seasons, I think there is a chance that a player could stay at NU for 4 years and still average 17 ppg or more over their career.

As evidence, I looked over the Big Ten career scoring leaderboard for some comparables, focusing on recent players:
Zach Edey: 17.9 ppg over 4 year career, 2392 points (and counting)
Luka Garza: 18.2 ppg over 4 year career, 2306 points
Trayce Jackson-Davis: 17.9 ppg over 4 year career, 2258 total points.
Lamar Stevens: 16.3 ppg over 4 year career, 2207 total points.

In looking at their year-by-year scoring, one commonality is that their last 2 years were significantly better than their first 2 seasons. I think this allows a player to not quite "draftable" after their 3rd year, but still in a position to set a career mark with a good 4th season.

Now, do I expect Boo's record to be broken in the next 5-10 years? No, probably not. But I don't think it is one of those "unbreakable" records. It just takes a player who decides to comeback for their senior year at NU, foregoing the draft and the portal. Also helpful if NU makes deep runs in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments during his career.

In 4 or 5 years?

I disagree. While it is unlikely that anyone will play 5 seasons, I think there is a chance that a player could stay at NU for 4 years and still average 17 ppg or more over their career.

As evidence, I looked over the Big Ten career scoring leaderboard for some comparables, focusing on recent players:

In looking at their year-by-year scoring, one commonality is that their last 2 years were significantly better than their first 2 seasons. I think this allows a player to not quite "draftable" after their 3rd year, but still in a position to set a career mark with a good 4th season.

Now, do I expect Boo's record to be broken in the next 5-10 years? No, probably not. But I don't think it is one of those "unbreakable" records. It just takes a player who decides to comeback for their senior year at NU, foregoing the draft and the portal. Also helpful if NU makes deep runs in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments during his career.
Need those extra games

Depends on how strong our NIL program is. If we can keep them here it's possible.

Perhaps a scoring center whose game doesn't exactly fit the NBA might stand a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
Only 16 B1G players have ever scored more points than Boo Buie, so naturally it's unlikely to happen again. But it's not impossible. I don't think it's ridiculous to imagine someone at NU having, say, Talor Battle's career.

Reactions: EagerFan
Why would I calculate for 5 years?

32 games/year x 4 years = 128 games
2,187 pt / 128 = 17 ppg

Injuries would increase needed average, post season would decrease.
Just checking because BOO had 5

Only 16 B1G players have ever scored more points than Boo Buie, so naturally it's unlikely to happen again. But it's not impossible. I don't think it's ridiculous to imagine someone at NU having, say, Talor Battle's career.
Someone had the scoring record before Buie and someone will likely take it after at some point

Folks seem to be assuming the NCAA is going to leave the game alone...

How about when they

1) mandate a 40 game schedule, you know for the sake of the money, I mean, the players.
2) add the 4 point arc at 27 feet and widen the court to accommodate it
3) declare all free throws automatically "good" to save time.
4) add the 5 point line at midcourt
5) eliminate the offensive foul entirely.
6) define "traveling" as 7 steps without dribbling the ball.
7) lengthen each half to 30 minutes..
8) cut the number of players on the court to 4 per side to emphasize one-on-one skills..
9) change the shot clock to 20 seconds

How about when they

1) mandate a 40 game schedule, you know for the sake of the money, I mean, the players.
8) cut the number of players on the court to 4 per side to emphasize one-on-one skills..
I was thinking of things they might change. Most likely is more games.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

How about when they

We are getting there, at least in terms of games

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Perhaps a scoring center whose game doesn't exactly fit the NBA might stand a chance.
Basically if we land our own Zach Edey?

I’m 10000000% game for that! You can’t put enough zeros in that percentage for me

How about when they

Just like the NFL is furthering its transition to flag football with this tackle rule change, most of this may happen. I consider this post a “half truth”.

I’ll be out personally. The college game is booming as it is.

Someone had the scoring record before Buie and someone will likely take it after at some point
Consider also that Eschmeyer had 6 years and didn’t surpass McKinney.

Will we have someone who can break it in four years? Especially given how we thrive largely due to our defense under CCC, and hopefully that will remain our bread and butter under future coaches?

Consider also that Eschmeyer had 6 years and didn’t surpass McKinney.

Will we have someone who can break it in four years? Especially given how we thrive largely due to our defense under CCC, and hopefully that will remain our bread and butter under future coaches?
Records are there to be broken. Eventually most are. It may last a long time before that happens. Who knows what changes will occur that will make it possible. Just never say never

Yes, but it is suddenly going to start getting much harder for him to do it again.
Look, I am hoping someone breaks Boo's scoring record. Heck I want multiple guys to do it. More important I want them doing it in meaningful seasons. It would mean that we get to see more outstanding players and continued relevance of NU BB and future dancing. Hopefully even beyond the second round

Look, I am hoping someone breaks Boo's scoring record. Heck I want multiple guys to do it. More important I want them doing it in meaningful seasons. It would mean that we get to see more outstanding players and continued relevance of NU BB and future dancing. Hopefully even beyond the second round
Yes, it will be harder for someone to do it in 4 years, but less so if we play 35 games a year 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT