ADVERTISEMENT

Check this out: Coach's tweet costs A&M a commit

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
...and maybe more.

We always hear about coaches not recruiting prospects because of what they put on social media. Now the shoe's on the other foot.

Watch what you tweet

These kids obviously weren't firm commits or were looking for an excuse to break their commitment.

At least when you had to put it on paper there was a time gap between when you wrote it and it actually went to the mailbox. No more crumpled papers to the trash in this day of instant transmission.

LOU V.'s comment is exactly what they were talking about on ESPN Outside the lines today. Most coaches or at least head coaches dont tweet, but are on twitter to see what is being said by the kids they are recruiting. I am sure decisions are influenced by what kids are saying and how they are behaving.

Amazing. Character people at aTm, through and through!
That assistant coach, by the way, is from Deerfield and played football for the Illini. But maybe he's been at aTm too long now (a little over a year)....

Speaking of character, though, I do want to say a few things about an event we had here in Houston last night with Randy Bates (NU linebacker coach who recruits here), Brian Peters (who now plays for the Texans) and Jacob Schmidt. I really enjoyed visiting with all three of them, and Brian talked to the group a bit about how supportive and helpful Fitz and the other coaches have been with him personally the last few years as he's worked hard to achieve his goal of playing in the NFL. He's had a pretty amazing journey, from multiple NFL tryouts, to the arena league, to a couple of years in the CFL. The Texans picked him up last year, however, and he ended up leading the NFL in special teams tackles even though he didn't play a full season. He's really worked hard to get to this position in life, and he was very thankful and appreciative of the continued support he receives from Fitz and the NU football family.

Coach Bates also had very positive things to say about Fitz and the culture of NU football. He's doing a fantastic job of recruiting this area, which is even more impressive given the academic restrictions that limit the number of potential players who can get past admissions. They're doing things the right way, unlike so many other programs in college football. It's great to see, and the results on the field prove that you don't have to cut corners in life to win.

What is Jacob Schmidt up to these days?

What is Jacob Schmidt up to these days?
He's on the football staff - Director of Player Development. A liaison of sorts between current / recent NU football players and alumni around the country. Seems like the focus is to help them tap into the NU network and get on their feet professionally as they enter life post-football. Pretty cool that NU has a guy on staff with this emphasis.

That assistant coach, by the way, is from Deerfield and played football for the Illini. But maybe he's been at aTm too long now (a little over a year)....
Also the son of Emery Moorehead, who, if he's played his cards right, hasn't paid for a restaurant meal in Chicago since 1986.

Football coaches, on balance, probably aren't much fun to hang out with.

...and maybe more.

We always hear about coaches not recruiting prospects because of what they put on social media. Now the shoe's on the other foot.

Watch what you tweet
This one I have unique insight on. As I live in Vegas I have very good knowledge on Tate Martells . He committed to Washington in 8th grade then de-commited and commited to T and M. He is VERY good but I am told by several people that know him and have played with him that he is very full of himself. Remember he came to Bishop Gorman from Cailfornia to play high school ball here. My take on him is that while he may be great, he will be a pain in the ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT