ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader Lawsuit

its_the_sauce

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Let's see how this plays out. While they've also walked through east lot as a group, I don't recall seeing any walking through "solo" and socializing.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Obviously I’m not a high-roller donor so I can’t speak to what may have happened at such events.

I will say the Wilson Club is a fairly open if not fully public area.
And I’ve certainly seen groups of cheerleaders working their way through the lots before football games. Groups. I’ve never seen them do so individually. Again, it’s a very open space. Of course they will have, over time, as part of a group encountered intoxicated fans. I certainly can’t claim that every fan they’ve encountered has been perfectly behaved. I can just say again that these are open areas and I have without exception seen them going about in groups.

Also encountered groups of cheerleaders in the East parking lot soliciting donations or boosting enthusiasm for the upcoming game. Never saw inappropriate behavior on the part of admiring fans. Should not have happened if it did. Maybe we do not need cheerleaders anymore if this is what it leads to but I would think that the the administration would have put enough legal protections in place to ward off any liability the university might face. Some pretty smart legal minds on campus. That being said there will always be individuals with issues that can find lawyers to take their case who are mostly seeking publicity rather than financial reward. Go Cats!

Last edited:
Reactions: lunker35
Ed, are you hoping that this isn't a real problem? You put problem in quotes which suggests sarcasm. I'm guessing it's a very old problem. This is likely the first lawsuit because we finally live in an age where a young woman can be taken seriously when speaking out.

Ed, are you hoping that this isn't a real problem? You put problem in quotes which suggests sarcasm. I'm guessing it's a very old problem. This is likely the first lawsuit because we finally live in an age where a young woman can be taken seriously when speaking out.

No, we are living not in an age when a women would be taken seriously for speaking out - boorish and threatening behavior was always taken seriously - we are living in an age where grievances are aired very publicly, lawsuits are the chosen method of address and judgements are made without knowledge or evidence.

I guess we will find out in court won't we? Hopefully Northwestern's reputation as the great university it is won't be diminished in the process. I believe that I read is that the cheerleader complaining is still a member of the team? If Northwestern took no action to correct the "problem" why would she continue to participate? Lot's of questions need to be answered. As I stated I cannot believe that NU would not have insulated its liability from the behavior of drunken donors.

Last edited:
No, we are living not in an age when a women would be taken seriously for speaking out - boorish and threatening behavior was always taken seriously - we are living in an age where grievances are aired very publicly, lawsuits are the chosen method of address and judgements are made without knowledge or evidence.
Based on the lawsuit and two separate complaints, it appears that your belief that Northwestern took allegations seriously is not based on fact.

This claim sounds exaggerated with financial motives. I find it hard to believe there is any serious assault going on in the east lot or at fundraisers. If NU decides to pay her, she'll go away never to be heard form again. If not we will find out if there is any real substance to her claims. She better have the other cheerleaders to corroborate her claims.

Reactions: CatFanEd
This claim sounds exaggerated with financial motives. I find it hard to believe there is any serious assault going on in the east lot or at fundraisers. If NU decides to pay her, she'll go away never to be heard form again. If not we will find out if there is any real substance to her claims. She better have the other cheerleaders to corroborate her claims.
Did you read today's tribune? There are others.

Reactions: ThirdCoast
I am fortunately not a judge, juror, or arbitrator in this case. Can I believe male fans got too handsy with cheerleaders, whether we are talking about an unwelcomed arm around them or more? Yup. Do I think this is unacceptable? Also yup. Can I imagine tailgaters offering cheerleaders alcohol at their tailgate? Most tailgates I've ever been to in my life have involved someone offering me a drink...so...yup. "Hey do you want a beer" is probably not solid grounds for a lawsuit.

Now you mash all these things together and there's enough on the table to call some of these complaints valid and others exaggerated depending on what you want to insist on believing, because I know my lawyer friends would advise her to leave absolutely nothing out, even the smallest detail.

I will admit I find it hard to believe that multiple authority figures told cheerleaders they were prohibited from staying in pairs, or insisting they separate. Having worked with college students for a good portion of my career, I can more likely imagine a scenario where 2-3 members of the squad were known for sheepishly sticking together in a corner and being told to go out and mingle.

I will say this - I think most universities make the exact wrong strategic decision in their endless quest to limit liability - denying and discounting rather than erring on the side of believing students in the first place. If any version of a cheerleader ever went to an AD or coach saying they felt uncomfortable/unsafe, BELIEVE them and create clear guidelines that promote a culture of safety. And if the administrator felt the student was in some way exaggerating the claim or had ulterior motives (i.e. to not have to do events they didn't like doing), then re-evaluate how you are selecting students for the squad before your parade them out in front of a crowd.

Obviously I’m not a high-roller donor so I can’t speak to what may have happened at such events.

I will say the Wilson Club is a fairly open if not fully public area.
And I’ve certainly seen groups of cheerleaders working their way through the lots before football games. Groups. I’ve never seen them do so individually. Again, it’s a very open space. Of course they will have, over time, as part of a group encountered intoxicated fans. I certainly can’t claim that every fan they’ve encountered has been perfectly behaved. I can just say again that these are open areas and I have without exception seen them going about in groups.

The issue for NU is much more about the alleged lack of response than what actually might have happened.

Did anyone think that maybe it was drunk fans from the visitors and not nu fans.
Sadly, I sometimes feel there are more visiting fans tailgating than wildcats.

Why are we all trying so hard to excuse/explain boorish behavior?

Again, the legal issue for NU is much more their supposed lack of institutional response than the accused behavior. Significant Title IX issues.

Why are we all trying so hard to excuse/explain boorish behavior?

Again, the legal issue for NU is much more their supposed lack of institutional response than the accused behavior. Significant Title IX issues.
Right, according to article, NU received , and ignored, the complaint. Baaaaad move.

Reactions: mekCat
Yeah, Someone needs to be fired for both poor supervision and poor followup.
student met with associate AD for marketing...isn't that the guy some people here were nominating to take Phillips' place?

In fairness to everyone...this all happened on Phillips' watch. I have to imagine the timing of this lawsuit is not a coincidence.

Reactions: NUCat320
Did anyone think that maybe it was drunk fans from the visitors and not nu fans.
Sadly, I sometimes feel there are more visiting fans tailgating than wildcats.

Did this happen at the Ohio State or Wisconsin games?

Did this happen at the Ohio State or Wisconsin games?
When all is said and done I don't think facts will really matter that much.
The Wildcat is out of the bag and unless she reverses her position the damage to NU is already done reputation wise. Hopefully the general public still views NU as the outstanding academic institution it is and that will prevail. As a donor myself who has attended all but one bowl game since 1995 and almost every home game in the east parking lot, I certainly do not believe that the damage done to those involved rises to the level of the charges outlined in the lawsuit. However, I do believe that the women should have their day in court and their complaints should be heard. They should not have been ignored. I will also be curious to find out what a "sex kitten" is.

Reactions: NUCat320
When all is said and done I don't think facts will really matter that much.
The Wildcat is out of the bag and unless she reverses her position the damage to NU is already done reputation wise. Hopefully the general public still views NU as the outstanding academic institution it is and that will prevail. As a donor myself who has attended all but one bowl game since 1995 and almost every home game in the east parking lot, I certainly do not believe that the damage done to those involved rises to the level of the charges outlined in the lawsuit. However, I do believe that the women should have their day in court and their complaints should be heard. They should not have been ignored. I will also be curious to find out what a "sex kitten" is.

Just stop. It’s not a good look.

student met with associate AD for marketing...isn't that the guy some people here were nominating to take Phillips' place?

In fairness to everyone...this all happened on Phillips' watch. I have to imagine the timing of this lawsuit is not a coincidence.
Yes, in fairness to everyone, by seeing one side we haven't heard nor seen the reality from the other side. I suspect that if everything was taken at face value that the complaint was heard, and a response was made appropriate for the complaint. When the case gets to court (if it does), since it was on Jim's watch, I think there will be a different picture emerging.

Not nearly as bad as someone who is trying to suppress expression of opinion on an open forum message board that is set up for that purpose I do believe.

Not nearly as bad as someone who is trying to suppress expression of opinion on an open forum message board that is set up for that purpose I do believe.

NU is not being sued for what she alleges to have occurred, but for an allegedly bungled Title IX response. You’ve spent pretty much this entire thread saying “I have been going to Northwestern football games for a long time and never seen that behavior, so I doubt the woman and her claims.” That’s precisely the kind of behavior that got NU and its administrators sued.

I would therefore offer you the same advice that the NU administration should have heeded and probably kept themselves out of a potentially messy Title IX lawsuit: listen to the woman, recognize that she had multiple instances in which she felt uncomfortable, and allow a full, complete investigation to proceed to establish potential liability or damages.

And spare me your First Amendment-adjacent bullshit. The same protections you claim also cover my ability to tell you that you are coming across as a sexist ass.

Yeah, Someone needs to be fired for both poor supervision and poor followup.
Reading between the lines, it appears possible that someone WAS fired for poor supervision. Based on the facts recited in the Tribune's story, I don't think it is fair to characterize NU as ignoring the allegations. After they were made, NU subjected the pertinent supervisor to training and eventually might have fired her. (No one is discussing her departure, which might be a sign.) NU also stopped sending cheerleaders into the tailgating area the next football season after the allegations were made. I'm not discounting the allegations or saying NU's response was adequate. I don't have enough facts and am not conversant in Title IX requirements. I am just noting that even based on what we know now (from one side), NU didn't just ignore the allegations. Let's see how things shake out as discovery in the litigation proceeds.

The cheerleaders frequently stopped at our tailgate in the west lot. They were always in pairs. They were always very nice. I always thought it was odd to send female cheerleaders out into the parking lots to mingle with the crowd. I would not send my daughter to something like that. Maybe, I am old fashioned, but it was sort of like creating a Hooters approach. Not a good look to me.

The cheerleaders always made the rounds in the East Lot. The lot is filled with people and hard to navigate quickly. There are many people, mostly men, who have been drinking for a few hours.

While I never saw anything improper near me, I am not surprised this happened. It’s beyond alarming that it’s possible NU was aware of it and didn’t do enough.

Wow. Look at this headline from Patch. My boss knows I'm a big NU fan and texted this link to me.

Northwestern Cheerleaders Forced Into 'Commercial Sex Acts': Suit

EVANSTON, IL — Northwestern University's cheerleading program functioned as an illegal sex trafficking operation that subjected cheerleaders to pervasive sexual assault and harassment, according to a lawsuit filed by one of its members.

What? Sex trafficking is a bit of an exaggeration. If they win, it'll be a travesty.

Reactions: CatFanEd
What the hell does that mean? Bill Cosby didn’t have formal accusations against him for decades until he did.
Comparing these "sex kitten" (their words not mine) events to what Bill Cosby was accused of and convicted of is about as absurd as it gets.

Reactions: techtim72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT