ADVERTISEMENT

Yates

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Trib breaking a story quoting Lloyd Yates.

(I think a subscription is required to read)

My question: Do we think Yates is the "other" corroborating former player that has been previously referenced from the start, or do we think he is a newly-quoted party in this situation? I'm not discounting the merit of his statements either way, but I'm trying to discern if this is new news or a re-hashing of previously known information, since the media is fine with letting us just assume the worst of everything.

EDIT: Also references incidents at Kenosha, which would seem to align with the first round of details from the report.

My question: Do we think Yates is the "other" corroborating former player that has been previously referenced from the start, or do we think he is a newly-quoted party in this situation? I'm not discounting the merit of his statements either way, but I'm trying to discern if this is new news or a re-hashing of previously known information, since the media is fine with letting us just assume the worst of everything.

EDIT: Also references incidents at Kenosha, which would seem to align with the first round of details from the report.
It seemed like QBs might be Fitz’s undoing. I just had no idea it would be this way.

NO, he is not the corroborater.

I give LLoyd Yates some credit for being upfront...we are headed down a dark alley..and the light at the end of the tunnel will be reached when we have the whole truth and deal with it ......by the end of the lawsuits (how many years will that be ?) hopefully we have no more unanswered questions. My gut still tells me that Pat Fitzgerald will take the high road and acknowledge his mistakes even if he was not aware or gave direction for the actions (my hope) and apologizes to the players harmed.

Folks, I don’t know about you, but my opinion just solidified. I don’t see why Yates would be making this up. And I think we’ll find out that Fitz was aware to some extent (maybe not how bad it was, but still).
"Yates, who graduated in 2018, is one of a dozen former Northwestern players who have signed on as clients of attorneys Ben Crump and Steve Levin They told the Tribune they plan to file suit against the school in the wake of a snowballing hazing scandal which felled the university’s head football coach Pat Fitzgerald."

"Levin said the legal team intends to file a lawsuit against Northwestern that will 'seek an end to this sort of behavior, and that will seek compensatory and potentially punitive damages' for the former players."

Folks, I don’t know about you, but my opinion just solidified. I don’t see why Yates would be making this up. And I think we’ll find out that Fitz was aware to some extent (maybe not how bad it was, but still).
First of all, I believe Yates and believe hazing was happening. It's really not that difficult to believe; as a fan I admit to being blissfully ignorant and maybe sorta hoping it was mostly playful in nature and mostly harmless ribbing. In my defense and in defense of most others reading this, we had no meaningful reason to assume otherwise.

That being said...we're now in the lawyer-up zone...where Fitz will vehemently deny even the slightest tiny little bit of culpability which he may have been otherwise willing to acknowledge in time.

Likewise, all players suing will now present the most extreme (but still "technically true") version of their experiences, because quite literally...no combatants are interested in the truth when the adversarial process is in play.

One of the issues with Yates and Richardson now as named accusers: they were mediocre players. In a weird way, I hope more successful players come forward who maybe aren't suing, who will speak mostly favorably of their time at NU but who will also acknowledge "stuff happened that probably shouldn't have."

First of all, I believe Yates and believe hazing was happening. It's really not that difficult to believe; as a fan I admit to being blissfully ignorant and maybe sorta hoping it was mostly playful in nature and mostly harmless ribbing. In my defense and in defense of most others reading this, we had no meaningful reason to assume otherwise.

That being said...we're now in the lawyer-up zone...where Fitz will vehemently deny even the slightest tiny little bit of culpability which he may have been otherwise willing to acknowledge in time.

Likewise, all players suing will now present the most extreme (but still "technically true") version of their experiences, because quite literally...no combatants are interested in the truth when the adversarial process is in play.

One of the issues with Yates and Richardson now as named accusers: they were mediocre players. In a weird way, I hope more successful players come forward who maybe aren't suing, who will speak mostly favorably of their time at NU but who will also acknowledge "stuff happened that probably shouldn't have."
Mediocre players?

Reactions: nu greek
Mediocre players?
Yes, mediocre, and that will always be the first thing that skeptics bring up - bitter former players who had less-than-stellar careers on the field and now have an axe to grind - which may be the case, but that doesn't mean they're lying or those things didn't happen.

There are a lot of players on the team. Most are mediocre. Don’t think that has any bearing or relevance as to their validity as victims. Indeed the power dynamics might indicate it was the lesser or “mediocre” status that allowed them to be victimized in the first place.

There are a lot of players on the team. Most are mediocre. Don’t think that has any bearing or relevance as to their validity as victims. Indeed the power dynamics might indicate it was the lesser or “mediocre” status that allowed them to be victimized in the first place.
Yeah, I doubt anyone is hazing a dude like Dan Vitale or JJTBC

To be very clear here, I 100% agree. I'm saying...it would be nice if more successful players might also come forward to put this particular criticism to rest. I'm inclined to believe this was less about one's position on the team and more about being a freshman.

Mediocre players?

Mediocre is being generous. Neither Yates nor Richardson were division 1 players, neither should have ever been offered by NU. Both were desperation takes at QB. Their lack of skills became apparent early on. Neither had a chance of getting on the field and both ultimately transferred to D3 programs.

Neither Yates nor Richardson were division 1 players, neither should have ever been offered by NU. Both were desperation takes at QB. Their lack of skills became apparent early on. Neither had a chance of getting on the field and both ultimately transferred to D3 programs.
And whose dumbass fault (I guess) is it that they were offered? Fitz Inc became a failure. In all ways.

McCall offered Yates. Bajakian offered Richardson.
Both hires and retained by PF, the CEO. Where does the buck stop? Maybe the OCs are given complete autonomy to make all recruiting decisions. Sounds like more great oversight decisions.

Again, this defense does not support keeping his job, rather more evidence the guy didn’t do his job.

Yes, mediocre, and that will always be the first thing that skeptics bring up - bitter former players who had less-than-stellar careers on the field and now have an axe to grind - which may be the case, but that doesn't mean they're lying or those things didn't happen.
I suspect ‘hazing’ was more like ‘bullying with sexual abuse and forced nudity’.

I’d imagine freshmen on the depth chart never had to worry. I’d suspect sophomores not on the depth chart always had to worry.

I wonder if Richardson got it for three years.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I suspect ‘hazing’ was more like ‘bullying with sexual abuse and forced nudity’.

I’d imagine freshmen on the depth chart never had to worry. I’d suspect sophomores not on the depth chart always had to worry.

That's a definite possibility. College students are definitely capable of bullying.

Both hires and retained by PF, the CEO. Where does the buck stop? Maybe the OCs are given complete autonomy to make all recruiting decisions. Sounds like more great oversight decisions.

Again, this defense does not support keeping his job, rather more evidence the guy didn’t do his job.
Where have you been Bob? Was worried something happened to you.

Given how hard the defense was carrying the team, and how underwhelming our QBs have been, I guess it's not surprising that frustrations were perhaps taken out on those seen as not carrying their weight. I don't think that it's a coincidence that the two known complaints are from underperforming recruits in the QB room.

Given how hard the defense was carrying the team, and how underwhelming our QBs have been, I guess it's not surprising that frustrations were perhaps taken out on those seen as not carrying their weight. I don't think that it's a coincidence that the two known complaints are from underperforming recruits in the QB room.
Then you will be surprised when other names come out.

Charged with what? With being childish pricks? Don't be ridiculous.
There's absolutely nothing ridiculous about the question. If people are being sued for not stopping something bad, then you don't go after the people who actually did the wrong-doing, that's what is ridiculous. It makes no sense foundationally to skip going after the people who did the alleged abuse, but to jump in and go after others who were supposed responsible for oversight but weren't actually there when the alleged abuse occurred. Where there actual abusers or not? At the minimum, the alleged abusers should be added to the lawsuit too, if it supposedly happened. If there is accountability in this whole hazing situation, then who were the abusers? At Penn State, we know it was Jerry Sandusky. At Michigan State, we know it was Larry Nassar? They are not alleging that Pat Fitzgerald actually did the hazing, so who did? If you're the boss, then how are they going to hold you accountable for workplace harassment if they are not even willing to name who the harasser is ?

Reactions: IGNORE2
There's absolutely nothing ridiculous about the question. If people are being sued for not stopping something bad, then you don't go after the people who actually did the wrong-doing, that's what is ridiculous. It makes no sense foundationally to skip going after the people who did the alleged abuse, but to jump in and go after others who were supposed responsible for oversight but weren't actually there when the alleged abuse occurred. Where there actual abusers or not? At the minimum, the alleged abusers should be added to the lawsuit too, if it supposedly happened. If there is accountability in this whole hazing situation, then who were the abusers? At Penn State, we know it was Jerry Sandusky. At Michigan State, we know it was Larry Nassar? They are not alleging that Pat Fitzgerald actually did the hazing, so who did? If you're the boss, then how are they going to hold you accountable for workplace harassment if they are not even willing to name who the harasser is ?
The lawsuits are ridiculous in my opinion but unfortunately people bring forth ridiculous lawsuits all the time. That’s a reflection of the times we live in. There is a big difference however between a civil lawsuit and criminal charges. Nothing criminal transpired at NU. Not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT