ADVERTISEMENT

Cheerleader Lawsuit

I understand presenting a strong case for a client, but isn't using a term like "sex trafficking" to describe the actions of one of the most prestigious universities in the world over the top? Don't know but it would seem to me that the professional legal world and a judge would view that negatively.

I understand presenting a strong case for a client, but isn't using a term like "sex trafficking" to describe the actions of one of the most prestigious universities in the world over the top? Don't know but it would seem to me that the professional legal world and a judge would view that negatively.
It does seem to be appropriating a term that’s meant to shock, but doesn’t necessarily accurately describe the situation here; however, how it would play with a judge is more a factor of who the judge is. Some would roll their eyes, some would appreciate that there are similarities.

The cheerleaders frequently stopped at our tailgate in the west lot. They were always in pairs. They were always very nice. I always thought it was odd to send female cheerleaders out into the parking lots to mingle with the crowd. I would not send my daughter to something like that. Maybe, I am old fashioned, but it was sort of like creating a Hooters approach. Not a good look to me.
Agree with all this, and I don't even have a daughter.

I have read a lot of pleadings in my day. Many, like this, sounded really concerning and serious. But let's remember that at this point these are simply allegations made by an adverse party's lawyers. That's why the defense has lawyers too. The athletic program has been sued before and it will almost certainly be sued again. Take a breath and let the actual facts come out and speak for themselves.

I have read a lot of pleadings in my day. Many, like this, sounded really concerning and serious. But let's remember that at this point these are simply allegations made by an adverse party's lawyers. That's why the defense has lawyers too. The athletic program has been sued before and it will almost certainly be sued again. Take a breath and let the actual facts come out and speak for themselves.
You don't really think that something like this couldn't possibly have happened?

Last edited:
Not sure about your double negative, Willycat. I can say that at this point I don't know what actually happened (and may never) but I never rely on what plaintiffs allege in pleadings. Pleadings are subject to admissable proof in court.
Exactly, and nobody on this Board knows anything about what actually happened. Speculation and conjecture can be very dangerous things.

Sorry to add fuel to this fire, but this Daily NU article about a potential 2nd lawsuit does not paint a good picture of the Athletics Department as a whole, and a few people in particular. Again, it’s only one side, but there are multiple viewpoints here that are all telling similar stories.

Sorry to add fuel to this fire, but this Daily NU article about a potential 2nd lawsuit does not paint a good picture of the Athletics Department as a whole, and a few people in particular. Again, it’s only one side, but there are multiple viewpoints here that are all telling similar stories.

Sounds like the University is going to suffer a big one two punch and rightly deserved if the facts turn out to be substantiated. Although not considered to be a sport, the cheerleading coach sounds like she was a rogue actor who was not monitored to the extent she should have been. Having been an assistant coach at NU I had never heard of the type of behavior described in the lawsuit and article. It was outrageous on her part which I am sure is what eventually lead to her firing when fully exposed. A sad episode for NU.

Reactions: JournCat
Not sure about your double negative, Willycat. I can say that at this point I don't know what actually happened (and may never) but I never rely on what plaintiffs allege in pleadings. Pleadings are subject to admissable proof in court.
Thanks for the grammar lesson. Somethings to work on during a snowy day.

I have two daughters at NU. They are not cheerleaders but I’d like to think that whatever club or organization they might join, they would feel safe and supported by the school.

While these two cases will need to be addressed through the legal system it certainly appears as though the university failed these young women, and by extension all of us who care about Northwestern.

Did not go upthread to read this first. This is a well-researched story. Lots of corroboration from multiple parties, consistent behavior. I expect there's a considerable documentary evidence. Yikes.

Sounds like the University is going to suffer a big one two punch and rightly deserved if the facts turn out to be substantiated. Although not considered to be a sport, the cheerleading coach sounds like she was a rogue actor who was not monitored to the extent she should have been. Having been an assistant coach at NU I had never heard of the type of behavior described in the lawsuit and article. It was outrageous on her part which I am sure is what eventually lead to her firing when fully exposed. A sad episode for NU.
I'm sure she was initially a rogue actor that needed to be monitored more, if NU had acted when these girls first reported it, this wouldn't be the huge story it is now. However the issue is the accusation that multiple athletic department officials didn't act on reports of her (the cheer coaches) behavior

Reactions: CatFanEd
I'm sure she was initially a rogue actor that needed to be monitored more, if NU had acted when these girls first reported it, this wouldn't be the huge story it is now. However the issue is the accusation that multiple athletic department officials didn't act on reports of her (the cheer coaches) behavior
Ah, the dreaded "knew or should have known"
This won't end well for NU.
(Presuming that the allegations are true) what intelligent person would do these things, and why? I mean, the fondlers, the coach, those who ignored, all of it?
Who sat around and said "let's send the cheerleaders, in uniform, into a bunch of drunken boosters, then ignore complaints. What could possibly go wrong? "

(Presuming that the allegations are true) what intelligent person would do these things, and why? I mean, the fondlers, the coach, those who ignored, all of it?
Who sat around and said "let's send the cheerleaders, in uniform, into a bunch of drunken boosters, then ignore complaints. What could possibly go wrong? "

I don’t think it happened exactly like that. I’m sure the athletics department figures were also disturbed by what happened, but they (they being the people named in the daily NU article -assuming these allegations are true) likely saw a situation where they could act on these and probably make the news or try and brush it under the rug and hope they never hear about it again

Reactions: JournCat
The reporting on both situations (at this point based on allegations from one side) suggests that NU did not "ignore" the complaints. Reports about both were made to the administration in early 2019. As a result, the coach at issue was required to take certain training that year, the practice of sending cheerleaders into the tailgating area was stopped before the Fall 2019 football season, the ill-advised guideline about hair styles was removed, and the coach eventually was fired in 2020. I am not stating that those measures were good enough or quick enough, and that is where the rubber will hit the road in these cases, but it appears based on the reporting so far that NU didn't just ignore the complaints.

We will need to see how the facts develop during the discovery process in the litigation. In my experience, most cases end up being a lot muddier factually than appears from the initial complaints. Folks can honestly have different perceptions and recollections of events (the "Rashomon" effect), and issues can be pretty nuanced. Moreover, defendants in such cases often cannot comment publicly for various reasons, so their side is usually presented only in court.

Again, I'm not dismissing the allegations or saying that what NU did was right and adequate. I am just urging caution in drawing too many definitive conclusions at this early stage.

Last edited:
Women not girls, please.

Reactions: its_the_sauce
The reporting on both situations (at this point based on allegations from one side) suggests that NU did not "ignore" the complaints. Reports about both were made to the administration in early 2019. As a result, the coach at issue was required to take certain training that year, the practice of sending cheerleaders into the tailgating area was stopped before the Fall 2019 football season, the ill-advised guideline about hair styles was removed, and the coach eventually was fired in 2020. I am not stating that those measures were good enough or quick enough, and that is where the rubber will hit the road in these cases, but it appears based on the reporting so far that NU didn't just ignore the complaints.

We will need to see how the facts develop during the discovery process in the litigation. In my experience, most cases end up being a lot muddier factually than appears from the initial complaints. Folks can honestly have different perceptions and recollections of events (the "Rashomon" effect), and issues can be pretty nuanced. Moreover, defendants in such cases often cannot comment publicly for various reasons, so their side is usually presented only in court.

Again, I'm not dismissing the allegations or saying that what NU did was right and adequate. I am just urging caution in drawing too many definitive conclusions at this early stage.
used to have a regular poster , who was the Cheerleader coach at one time. Maybe he could shed some light on the subject.

Why do we still have cheerleaders? Isn't the whole point of cheerleading to present attractive young women to a mostly male crowd? The allegations in the lawsuit and Daily story are extremely troubling, but aren't they an outgrowth of an inherently sexist idea?

Why do we still have cheerleaders? Isn't the whole point of cheerleading to present attractive young women to a mostly male crowd? The allegations in the lawsuit and Daily story are extremely troubling, but aren't they an outgrowth of an inherently sexist idea?

Not entirely sexist - there's a case for having cheerleaders - but likely could be improved. I find the NU cheerleading efforts pretty bland anyway. Not the gymnastic oriented (unless that's changed), high energy routines of many programs. Our local high school with cheerleaders and POMS has more skill and intensity. Relative to outfits, pretty vanilla, which is fine. Not worth the effort IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT