ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Donlon OUT

Though he has been a head coach every season for forever, I'd put a call into Tim Miles. The results weren't consistently there for Nebraska, but he far outperformed his predecessor and his demeanor would be a positive for the program.

Though he has been a head coach every season for forever, I'd put a call into Tim Miles. The results weren't consistently there for Nebraska, but he far outperformed his predecessor and his demeanor would be a positive for the program.
Disagree. Can't have one former B1G head coach working for another. The dynamics would never work. It would be clear that Miles was just in a holding pattern until the next job opened.

Reactions: IGNORE and corbi296
Disagree. Can't have one former B1G head coach working for another. The dynamics would never work. It would be clear that Miles was just in a holding pattern until the next job opened.

Almost any good assistant should be in a holding pattern till the next job. Donlon, Baldwin, and Gates all were. That's a good thing when coaches on the staff get new roles. Certainly doesn't bother me if an assistant moves on.

The Brian Jameses of the world are rare exceptions.

Reactions: NUCat320

It’s a pipe dream but getting Hardy or Baldwin back would be amazing. I know Baldwin is a HC but supposedly under fire. And Hardy is probably just as unlikely as he has settled in as HC out east.

Almost any good assistant should be in a holding pattern till the next job. Donlon, Baldwin, and Gates all were. That's a good thing when coaches on the staff get new roles. Certainly doesn't bother me if an assistant moves on.

Happy, in a way to see Coach Donlan come here to Kansas City. But, this job is a graveyard. First of all, there aren't (consistently) a lot of players in the Kansas City area. Secondly, they really have no venue to call home. Their on-campus facility is really like a high school field house. And when they played downtown at the Municipal Auditorium they could only sell about 1500/2000 of the 10,000 capacity venue. Finally they play in a horrible conference for a mid western school.I think that Texas-Rio Grande might be the closet conference opponent. Hard to get much interest in Kansas City for Seattle U., Cal-Bakersfield and Southern Utah--plus, think of the travel costs!

Hope he does well and maybe he received some commitments from the Administration that will make the "gig" more attractive.

Last edited:
I’m not really surprised. I think he kind of got kind of a raw deal when Wright State made a change after he had a 22 win season there, and I heard that he had applied for the Loyola, MD job that Hardy wound up getting. Getting a D1 gig as a head coach can be hard to pass up.

Glad to see Donlon go. It was downhill ever since he arrived. How about bring Brian Macintosh back and have him work with the point guards.

Glad to see Donlon go. It was downhill ever since he arrived. How about bring Brian Macintosh back and have him work with the point guards.

Well, other than Mac still,playing professional, and CCC needs help with play drawing, this isn’t a terrible idea.

Of course, I don't know spit about the day-to-day value of Donlon. And his resume speaks a library more of substance than this message-board idiot offers.

But his ever-present, sneering, sideline body language ... I ALWAYS thought, "How does anyone ever listen to that guy? How effective can he really be?"

Reactions: NUCats
Let me also throw out one more Nebraska name I'd take IN A SECOND - Jim Molinari. I assume he's the Nebraska guy still recruiting well in the Chicago area with Glynn Watson, Ed Morrow (transferred to Marquette), Isiah Roby from Dixon and the sophomore kid from Bollingbrook.

Happy, in a way to see Coach Donlan come here to Kansas City. But, this job is a graveyard. First of all, there aren't (consistently) a lot of players in the Kansas City area. Secondly, they really have no venue to call home. There on-campus facility is really like a high school field house. And when they played downtown at the Municipal Auditorium they could only sell about 1500/2000 of the 10,000 capacity venue. Finally they play in a horrible conference for a mid western school.I think that Texas-Rio Grande might be the closet conference opponent. Hard to get much interest in Kansas City for Seattle U., Cal-Bakersfield and Southern Utah--plus, think of the travel costs!

Hope he does well and maybe he received some commitments from the Administration that will make the "gig" more attractive.

i looked it up. in his 4th year at wright state the roster was:
indianapolis x2
parkersburg, west virginia
new orleans
fort wayne
grand prairie, texas
bloomfield, indiana
selma, indiana
cincinnati x2
christchurch, new zealand
avon, indiana
dayton x2
brandon, florida
bowling green, ohio
richmond, indiana

doesn't seem it matters to him

But his ever-present, sneering, sideline body language ... I ALWAYS thought, "How does anyone ever listen to that guy? How effective can he really be?"
Ha.... that's funny you say that. I know nothing about Donlon the adult, but I have distinct memories of him being kind of a snotty little brat when he was a kid ballboy at Welsh Ryan when his dad was a coach here.

Reactions: NUCat320
Happy, in a way to see Coach Donlan come here to Kansas City. But, this job is a graveyard. First of all, there aren't (consistently) a lot of players in the Kansas City area. Secondly, they really have no venue to call home. Their on-campus facility is really like a high school field house. And when they played downtown at the Municipal Auditorium they could only sell about 1500/2000 of the 10,000 capacity venue. Finally they play in a horrible conference for a mid western school.I think that Texas-Rio Grande might be the closet conference opponent. Hard to get much interest in Kansas City for Seattle U., Cal-Bakersfield and Southern Utah--plus, think of the travel costs!

Parallel to CCC coming to NU, where basketball dreams came to die. Most recruits can't get past admissions requirements. The facilities were the worst in the conference. And NU plays in a conference that is very competitive.

Coach Donlan knows what trouble looks like.

Of course, I don't know spit about the day-to-day value of Donlon. And his resume speaks a library more of substance than this message-board idiot offers.

I like Molinari very much. He's bright, I think a decent person, and has proven bona fides with recruiting Chicago.

Two q's...

* Does NU need more recruiting....issue now seems to be admissions more than getting kids to want to come here;
* Donlon was a big add to coaching defense....how is that replaced....does Moinari have that?

Here is the glass half empty take from collegefootballnews.com....excerpts:

The mass exodus from Evanston continues.

A troubling trend of departures from the Northwestern men’s basketball program infected the coaching staff today, as it was reported that assistant coach Billy Donlon is expected to become the next head coach of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Donlon leaves behind a decimated Northwestern program that has seen the entirety of its core that propelled the team to its first-ever tournament bid just two years ago depart.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...stant-billy-donlon-hired-away-head-coach-umkc

Here is the glass half empty take from collegefootballnews.com....excerpts:

The mass exodus from Evanston continues.

A troubling trend of departures from the Northwestern men’s basketball program infected the coaching staff today, as it was reported that assistant coach Billy Donlon is expected to become the next head coach of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

Donlon leaves behind a decimated Northwestern program that has seen the entirety of its core that propelled the team to its first-ever tournament bid just two years ago depart.

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...stant-billy-donlon-hired-away-head-coach-umkc

why is it troubling that an assistant coach took a job as a head coach?

that's just a stupid basis for an article

had Donlon gone from an assistant at NU to, say, an assistant at Lake Forest College we'd be concerned about this

had Donlon gone from an assistant at NU to, say, an assistant at Lake Forest College we'd be concerned about this
I agree. I just found it interesting that the story was so doom-and-gloom biased. Donlon's move has zero to do with the transfers IMHO.

Not to mention that “the core” departed by graduating with no eligibility left.

have to agree with this sentiment - those takes are stupid spins for agenda.

and donlon wasn't a part of the tourney run anyway

what donlon did do is help the cats have a top defense in the country and recruit the current frosh class - especially young and nance. his legacy will be left with those 2 players.

Oh, that's right!! Nance was down to Michigan and NU, right? Donlan takes the NU job. And wasn't it only a couple days later when Nance commits?
Good memory. Donlon hire was reported on 6/25/17, Nance committed on 6/29/17 per Rivals' database.

Reactions: lunker35
Donlon also was not even at NU for the tournament team. But the overall optics, the negative spin aside, doesn't seem good. We'll have to see how Collins rebuilds the team and his staff.

I like Molinari very much. He's bright, I think a decent person, and has proven bona fides with recruiting Chicago.

Two q's...

* Does NU need more recruiting....issue now seems to be admissions more than getting kids to want to come here;
* Donlon was a big add to coaching defense....how is that replaced....does Moinari have that?
I'm not sure, but I believe that when Molinari was between jobs during the Carmody years, at one point he took some time to volunteer to come in and assist with some defensive stuff.

Real question is how is he as a recruiter

As long as you get a better one to replace them

Molinari took NIU to 25-6 and WIU to 22-7. Those are fantasy seasons at those places.

NIU was very good in the 80's when Molinari was at DePaul. A Kenny Battle-led NIU team almost beat #1 DePaul with Aguirre/Dillard/Cummings et al.

And then Battle transferred to Illinois and that was pretty much it for NIU.

Real question is how is he as a recruiter
I think development of players - you know, coaching - will become increasingly more important.

NU should be learning now that top 20 talent isn’t in the future. Top 50? I’ll believe it when I see it. Fact is, NU needs to win by getting talent in the 75-300 range, and turning them into stars.

I want coaches who can teach more than coaches who can recruit.

We attributed Olah’s great senior season to James. James seemingly helped Pardon get better. James’ job is now to turn Jones from a kid with a nice pedigree into a star.

Who is going to turn Nance and Kopp and Beran - kids with better raw materials than NU has had historically - into that star?

Reactions: IGNORE

Two q's...

Is this the same Jim Molinari who was a long time assistant at DePaul during their hay day and then Head coch at Bradley? If so, very good coach.

Reactions: Bwm57
Is this the same Jim Molinari who was a long time assistant at DePaul during their hay day and then Head coch at Bradley? If so, very good coach.

yes

he was in graduate school...law school....in the late 70's/early 80's while an assistant at DePaul....and has done well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT