ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins out at SIU OT?

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
I only bring this up as Coach Lowery was a pretty successful and well liked coach at SIU and the word is that the big donors have their wallets open. Coach Lowery has coached under some good Coaches, Coach Weber, Coach Painter..he is from Evansville Indiana, played at SIU....but really had a black and white career as coach at SIU...4 winning seasons including an NCAA 4 seed.and 3 straight NCAA appearances ..then the wheels fell off and he finished with 5 losing seasons culminating with a 5-23 season. I am guessing he has really enjoyed the last couple years at NU....

I only bring this up as Coach Lowery was a pretty successful and well liked coach at SIU and the word is that the big donors have their wallets open. Coach Lowery has coached under some good Coaches, Coach Weber, Coach Painter..he is from Evansville Indiana, played at SIU....but really had a black and white career as coach at SIU...4 winning seasons including an NCAA 4 seed.and 3 straight NCAA appearances ..then the wheels fell off and he finished with 5 losing seasons culminating with a 5-23 season. I am guessing he has really enjoyed the last couple years at NU....
Because I was curious: unlike football, mid major coaches make a lot more than top conference assistants. Mullins was making twice as much as the higher paid Big Ten assistants.

There's something I didn't realize, Lowery went to WH Harrison HS while I was at Evansville. I wonder how things would have gone for him if he'd stayed local as an Ace.

Reactions: drewjin
Bummed to see this. The Mullins family grew up down the street from me and I actually babysat him and his two brothers a few times as kids.

His Dad started (and I believe still runs) the Illinois Wolves program. To say, their backyard basketball court was great is an understatement. I also still remember his Dad giving 13 year old me crap for being a ball hog at a block party pickup game. 😂

Hope Bryan lands on his feet quickly.

Mullins was still running the Wolves as of a couple of years ago. It's a great program.

Fire a coach after you lose two great players to Purdue and Illinois and are still really competitive the next year. Makes no sense, but he'll land somewhere quickly.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT