ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K at it already

pawildcat

Sep 15, 2006
Waynesboro, Pa.
From ESPN:

Krzyzewski noted several plays on which he thought Gonzaga should've been whistled for fouls that weren't called, but he downplayed the impact on the final result, focusing instead on the reaction to the loss.

"We're not going to complain about that or say the refs lost the game, but come on," Krzyzewski said. "[Barrett] probably should've gone to the foul line. It doesn't mean we're going to win."

So let me get this straight. While you're complaining about the refs, you're saying you're not going to complain about them. Whatever you say, coach.

Reactions: KATankerous
From ESPN:

Krzyzewski noted several plays on which he thought Gonzaga should've been whistled for fouls that weren't called, but he downplayed the impact on the final result, focusing instead on the reaction to the loss.

"We're not going to complain about that or say the refs lost the game, but come on," Krzyzewski said. "[Barrett] probably should've gone to the foul line. It doesn't mean we're going to win."

So let me get this straight. While you're complaining about the refs, you're saying you're not going to complain about them. Whatever you say, coach.
I despise Coach K. Foul-mouthed whiner who led Duke to eliminate any academic standards whatsoever in the pursuit of his basketball legacy.

I despise Coach K. Foul-mouthed whiner who led Duke to eliminate any academic standards whatsoever in the pursuit of his basketball legacy.
Used to admire him but he has sold his soul to the One and Done. That's a pro team he is putting out there. Does Williamson even take any classes?

I don’t think he had any choice than to adapt to this if he still wanted to contend for National Titles. Make no mistake, that is HIS job description.
Uh, Villanova wasn't and isn't a one-and-done culture and neither is Michigan and they played for the national championship. Duke could still put a great team out there without becoming an NBA farm team.

Reactions: NJCat
Uh, Villanova wasn't and isn't a one-and-done culture and neither is Michigan and they played for the national championship. Duke could still put a great team out there without becoming an NBA farm team.
Exactly. K has chosen to go the high visibility route. 7 of the last 8 Finalists did NOT have one-and-doners, K's 2015 team the lone exception.

Exactly. K has chosen to go the high visibility route. 7 of the last 8 Finalists did NOT have one-and-doners, K's 2015 team the lone exception.

Both UNC and Gonzaga had a one-and-done player in 2017.

Both UNC and Gonzaga had a one-and-done player in 2017.
Yeah I think there’s a big difference between those two teams and teams built around 1 and dones, like Duke and Kentucky have been for the last handful of years.

I grant you Collins for the Zags. Bradley never started a game for UNC.
How many one and dones are there each year. They have to go somewhere as Kentucky can’t take all of them. The real issue is these players aren’t allowed to declare for the NBA out of HS which is ridiculous. Coach K is absolutely doing the right thing for Duke. We can take the high road and say that is a college not an NBA farm team, but it completely ignores the reality that a Zion Williamson stands to make $1B during his lifetime without that Duke sheepskin. Coming back to Duke and risking injury would make no sense. Hate the system not the player or coach.

Reactions: Noah121
Yeah I think there’s a big difference between those two teams and teams built around 1 and dones, like Duke and Kentucky have been for the last handful of years.

So one-and-dones are different as long as they're not very good or you don't have too many of them? I thought the point was that they made a mockery of the glorious ideals of amateur collegiate athletics.

So one-and-dones are different as long as they're not very good or you don't have too many of them? I thought the point was that they made a mockery of the glorious ideals of amateur collegiate athletics.
Zack Collins was not at all the best player on that Gonzaga team. And also I could be wrong, but I don’t recall him being touted as a one and done when he was recruited. He seemed to come onto the NBA radar later on. And UNC had only some minor supporting player(s) that were that. I think there’s a pretty clear difference between those squads and Duke / UK / Zona at times (or you could include eg LSU when Simmons was there for a year, and I think Oden and Conley at OSU were one and dones back in the day?).

The point at hand is that teams that are built around one and dones (where their best player / multiple of their best players are that) generally haven’t been the ones that go all the way to the final. Granted there’s only a few of those each year, vs 300 odd teams that don’t build that way, but still.

Remember when Coach K lectured that kid on an opposing team about sportsmanship for dunking on Duke when the game was in hand in the same season he suspended Grayson Allen for a measly 1 game after tripping and opposing player for a 3rd time

The point at hand is that teams that are built around one and dones (where their best player / multiple of their best players are that) generally haven’t been the ones that go all the way to the final. Granted there’s only a few of those each year, vs 300 odd teams that don’t build that way, but still.

I think that’s more a function of it being really damn hard to win 6 straight games in a single elimination tournament than anything to do with roster construction.

Reactions: Noah121
And yet, we will all be rejoicing if PBJ picks NU, even if he is destined to stay just one year.

Please, we'd love to able to do what Duke is doing.

This is about Coach K acting like an asshole, not what Duke is doing on the court. You've had things going your way for years and you're still whining about the refs. Stop it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT