Oregon State: Mike Riley left for Nebraska HC Gary Anderson HC Wisconsin
Pittsburgh: Paul Chryst left for Wisconsin HC Pat Narduzzi DC Michigan State
SMU: June Jones "stepped down" replaced by Chad Morris OC/QB Clemson
Troy: Larry Blakeney retired replaced by Neal Brown OC/QB Kentucky
Tulsa: Bill Blakenship fired replaced by Phillip Montgomery OC Baylor
UNLV: Bobby Hauck resigned Tony Sanchez HC Bishop Gorman High School
Wisconsin: Gary Anderson left for Oregon State HC Paul Chryst HC Pitt

This post was edited on 1/23 5:15 AM by shakes3858

Very weird to introduce a new head coach before the regular season is over.

Originally posted by lonestarmvp:
Chad Morris from Clemson will be named the new SMU HC today @ $2M/ year.
I'll move that in when it's official.

What does everyone think about the Rich Rod to Florida rumor? That one seemed really odd to me.

I would almost never want to go to Kansas. I feel like it's a program in a major conference who's fanbase thinks that they should be great, but they're not willing to make an investment. If I were Pelini, I would be looking more towards and Mountain West, Conference USA type of school with a good foundation (ie. their coach just left for a better job) do great there and then try to make a move back into a Power 5 conference with a decent job. If he goes to Kansas and can't turn things around he's done.

Barney Cotton is the interim coach at Nebraska and will coach them in the bowl game.

Thanks, Shakes. This is great as always.

I wonder if Nebraska would consider back-channeling Paul Johnson (Ga Tech) to gauge interest. I don't think he'd be interested - but Ga Tech is a lot closer in passion and support and excitement to Northwestern than it is to Nebraska. Johnson doesn't seem a publicity guy or a striver, but he did leave a great thing at Navy, and Nebraska would offer more money.

Also, Nebraska quarterbacks can't throw.

P
Current Vegas Favorites for Nebraska job (in order):
Jim Tressel
Scott Frost
Jim McElwain
Mark Richt
Joe Moglia
Craig Bohl
Gary Patterson

Interesting hire by Buffalo Lance Leipold of D3 Wisconsin Whitewater. 106-6 as a head coach.

Jim Tressel, huh?

Now that would be interesting redemption story.

Can't imagine that Mark Richt would fly with the UNL faithful, though. Like Bo and Solich at Nebraska, Richt can't get it done at Georgia either. And if I'm Gary Patterson, why would I want Nebraska gig, with all of it's geographic and program expectations (vs. reality) challenges? He's probably got a job for life at TCU, if he wants it. But I could see him moving to the SEC - Florida perhaps?

Originally posted by shakes3858:
I would almost never want to go to Kansas. I feel like it's a program in a major conference who's fanbase thinks that they should be great, but they're not willing to make an investment. If I were Pelini, I would be looking more towards and Mountain West, Conference USA type of school with a good foundation (ie. their coach just left for a better job) do great there and then try to make a move back into a Power 5 conference with a decent job. If he goes to Kansas and can't turn things around he's done.
There's no need for him to go to Kansas or a Mountain West school and devalue himself. If Arizona hired Rich Rod after his flameout at Michigan, Pelini should be able to do as well or better. His best move is to do TV for a year, take Nebraska's money and put himself in position for a mid-level Power 5 job in a year or two.

Originally posted by JournCat:
There's no need for him to go to Kansas or a Mountain West school and devalue himself. If Arizona hired Rich Rod after his flameout at Michigan, Pelini should be able to do as well or better. His best move is to do TV for a year, take Nebraska's money and put himself in position for a mid-level Power 5 job in a year or two.
Bo Pelini on television? I'm not saying Bo Pelini couldn't give good insight into the game; he obviously could, but there's no way I want to sit and listen to it. Not the right fit for Pelini.

So if Bo Pelini takes over at Colorado State for Jim McElwain who is likely going to Florida, and he has a couple of 10 win seasons, you don't see an SEC, ACC, PAC12, or Big 12 opening up for him?

He doesn't need to go to Colorado State, and if he did go and it didn't work out, he'd be stuck in Bob Davie or Larry Coker land where he's not getting a second shot. Better to take the money, do a tour of other coaches' practices and wait, like Schiano is doing right now. (Recent SI story on Schiano linked below.) Whatever expectations he didn't meet at Nebraska, he still had a .700 overall record there. He'll get another shot on that alone.

This post was edited on 12/1 6:50 PM by JournCat

Story

I feel like it's a program in a major conference who's fanbase thinks that they should be great, but they're not willing to make an investment.
The pot calling the kettle black ?

I'm with Journ. Pelini doesn't have to take a step down in class and go to a smaller conference. This is a guy that won more than 70 percent of his games at a big-time school. I bet he could get a Power Five job this year, if he wanted one. My guess is he takes a year off -- not to do TV, but to play with his cat, maybe -- and then he'll land a mid-level or better job at a Power Five school the next season.

Originally posted by Lou V:

I'm with Journ. Pelini doesn't have to take a step down in class and go to a smaller conference. This is a guy that won more than 70 percent of his games at a big-time school. I bet he could get a Power Five job this year, if he wanted one. My guess is he takes a year off -- not to do TV, but to play with his cat, maybe -- and then he'll land a mid-level or better job at a Power Five school the next season.
I'm really just responding to bump this since I updated it, but I don't understand why he'd need to take a year off. With my dad being a Steelers fan, I always heard how Bill Cohwer was going to take a year off and then get another job. 8 years later the guy is still on TV. I think if you're a coach, and you want to be a coach, then you find a place to coach.

I also think that Colorado State is a better job than Kansas despite being a non-power 5. Kansas may be an impossible place to win at. If Pelini goes there and loses, it just "proves" that Pelini was only getting it done because of Nebraska's prestige. If he goes to Colorado State and performs well, it shows that Pelini knows what he's doing.

Respect to Schiano for taking the year off. He's rich and can afford to do so.

As for Cowher and Gruden and just about every coach, coaching is all they've ever done. I am willing to bet that Cowher realized that he didn't mind not having 18 hour days stressing over a stupid football game when he could show up on Sundays and get paid the same, and that his quality of life was better and , frankly, why would he coach again?

Coaching is one of those professions that people fall into - they've done football since they were 8, so they keep doing football. It's not a great life, and it's okay to step away, whether for a year, or for "one year".

Keep in mind that Pelini is collecting $7 million from Nebraska, and that Nebraska can reduce its payment if Pelini gets another coaching job. So financially, Pelini can just sit at home and wait for the phone to ring. I think Schiano is the absolute perfect blueprint for Pelini. Expect a story sometime in October 2015 about how Pelini has a softer, kinder perspective on life from volunteer coaching Pop Warner.

If he didn't want to wait a year, Shakes, you're right -- Colorado State is a much better option than the sinkhole in Lawrence. Mangino had one real year of success at Kansas in his sixth season.
This post was edited on 12/2 1:25 PM by JournCat

I don't think Pelini needs to take a year off. I'm just guessing that he will.

I'm really just responding to bump this since I updated it, but I don't understand why he'd need to take a year off. With my dad being a Steelers fan, I always heard how Bill Cohwer was going to take a year off and then get another job. 8 years later the guy is still on TV. I think if you're a coach, and you want to be a coach, then you find a place to coach.
Maybe the TV gig grows on some guys. It's a much easier job and you're not on duty all day every day.

So let me get this straight... Nebraska fires a coach for going 9-4 in his worst year to hire a coach that went 10-4 in his best year?

LAWRENCE, Kan. - David Beaty, the wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator at Texas A&M, has been hired as the head football coach at the University of Kansas. Beaty arrives in Lawrence with more than 20 years of coaching experience, including two previous stints as an assistant coach with the Jayhawks.

Kansas will formally introduce Beaty at a press conference Monday, Dec. 8 at 9:30 a.m.

A native of Garland, Texas, Beaty takes over the KU program after spending the three previous seasons as the Aggies' wide receivers coach. He also served as A&M's recruiting coordinator during the 2013-14 seasons.

"I am very excited to be back at Kansas," Beaty said. "I am especially excited that Clint Bowen has agreed to stay on as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. Clint will be a huge part of our success going forward and I am fortunate to have him on my staff."

If Michigan does not get the big name (Harbaughs, Stoops, Dungy, Gruden or Schiano) then who would they even go after? This is one of the quietest searches i have seen for a big time job.

Originally posted by catsattackfor3:
If Michigan does not get the big name (Harbaughs, Stoops, Dungy, Gruden or Schiano) then who would they even go after? This is one of the quietest searches i have seen for a big time job.
I think they're waiting til they can talk to some NFL guys. They also don't have an AD to talk about anything so it's really hard to put a finger on their intentions.

Originally posted by catsattackfor3:
thats the way michigan is keeping this search. alot of the names you are hearing are not true either. alot of coaches are using the michigan job to get a pay raise

UNLV has hired Tony Sanchez.

Wisconsin has hired Paul Chryst.

This post was edited on 12/12 2:43 AM by Eurocat

Originally posted by Eurocat:
UNLV has hired Tony Sanchez.

Wisconsin has hired Paul Chryst.

This post was edited on 12/12 2:43 AM by Eurocat
I'm just seeing reports on Chryst nothing official. I believe it's true, but I'm going to leave it off til he's 100% official

Did I get that right, Tony Sanchez was coaching a High School last year?

Pat Narduzzi to Pitt. Only one job left which isn't going to get filled until Michigan takes a run at Harbaugh. Interesting carousel but very small this year.

5 FBS head coaches
1 D3 head coach
1 HS head coach
4 OCs
1 DC
1 Position coach

Probably 1 NFL head coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT