ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Ten's All Transfer Team

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Here are the players who were recognized by Big Ten coaches...

PlayerTeamAwardPrior TeamPrior Conference
Boo BuieNorthwesternFirst Teamn/a
Zach EdeyPurdueFirst Teamn/a
Terrence ShannonIllinoisFirst TeamTexas TechBig 12
Marcus DomaskIllinoisFirst TeamSouthern IllinoisMissouri Valley
Braden SmithPurdueFirst Teamn/a
Jahmir YoungMarylandSecond TeamCharlotteAmerican
Tony PerkinsIowaSecond Teamn/a
Tyson WalkerMichigan StateSecond TeamNortheasternCoastal Athletic
Keisei TominagaNebraskaSecond TeamRangerJUCO
AJ StorrWisconsinSecond Team
Saint John's
Big East
Kel 'el WareIndianaThird TeamOregonPac 12
Payton SandfortIowaThird Teamn/a
Dawson GarciaMinnesotaThird TeamMarquette, UNCBig East / ACC
Rienk MastNebraskaThird TeamBradleyMissouri Valley
Brooks BarnhizerNorthwesternThird Teamn/a
Ace BaldwinPenn StateThird TeamVCUAtlantic 10

There are 16 players listed - the best 16 guys in the league. Ten started somewhere outside the Big Ten.
Six players were recruited out of high school - two each by Chris Collins, Matt Painter and Fran McCaffery...

Here are the players who were recognized by Big Ten coaches...

PlayerTeamAwardPrior TeamPrior Conference
Boo BuieNorthwesternFirst Teamn/a
Zach EdeyPurdueFirst Teamn/a
Terrence ShannonIllinoisFirst TeamTexas TechBig 12
Marcus DomaskIllinoisFirst TeamSouthern IllinoisMissouri Valley
Braden SmithPurdueFirst Teamn/a
Jahmir YoungMarylandSecond TeamCharlotteAmerican
Tony PerkinsIowaSecond Teamn/a
Tyson WalkerMichigan StateSecond TeamNortheasternCoastal Athletic
Keisei TominagaNebraskaSecond TeamRangerJUCO
AJ StorrWisconsinSecond Team
Saint John's
Big East
Kel 'el WareIndianaThird TeamOregonPac 12
Payton SandfortIowaThird Teamn/a
Dawson GarciaMinnesotaThird TeamMarquette, UNCBig East / ACC
Rienk MastNebraskaThird TeamBradleyMissouri Valley
Brooks BarnhizerNorthwesternThird Teamn/a
Ace BaldwinPenn StateThird TeamVCUAtlantic 10

There are 16 players listed - the best 16 guys in the league. Ten started somewhere outside the Big Ten.
Six players were recruited out of high school - two each by Chris Collins, Matt Painter and Fran McCaffery...
Guess we shouldn’t fret about our HS recruiting then.

Reactions: Darren72
Transferring has become an epidemic in the college game and I'm not keen on it. Sets up the possibility of all kinds of poaching, but it is what it is. I was just reading about McNeese State today in the NYT (under Will Wade). All but one of his players are transfers. Are any of these guys on course to graduate? All the stuff that got Wade booted out of LSU a few years ago is now legal. LOL

Transferring has become an epidemic in the college game and I'm not keen on it. Sets up the possibility of all kinds of poaching, but it is what it is. I was just reading about McNeese State today in the NYT (under Will Wade). All but one of his players are transfers. Are any of these guys on course to graduate? All the stuff that got Wade booted out of LSU a few years ago is now legal. LOL
Then there's the other extreme. Coach leaves team for better job. Players all enter portal. New coach brings in transfers so he has a team.

Mike Rhoades at Penn State was able to pull it off and compete.
Utah State hired a new coach (Danny Sprinkle) after the old coach left. 100% of the team's scoring entered the portal. Sprinkle came in, drafted a team from the portal and won the Mountain West, a 6 bid league.
TJ Otzelberger at Iowa State pulled off the same sort of miracle a couple years ago.

A good coach with an eye for talent has a chance, but still, its crazy when almost an entire team walks.

I wonder if we're getting close to a time when coaches, particularly those without stricter academic requirements like at NU, don't even recruit high school players. It makes a lot more sense to exclusively recruit transfers who have proven they can play at the college level rather than risk a scholarship on a high school kid who might not pan out (or might pan out and transfer out).

I wonder if we're getting close to a time when coaches, particularly those without stricter academic requirements like at NU, don't even recruit high school players. It makes a lot more sense to exclusively recruit transfers who have proven they can play at the college level rather than risk a scholarship on a high school kid who might not pan out (or might pan out and transfer out).
The coach who just beat Kentucky has said he doesn’t recruit high-schoolers anymore. Portal and juco only.

The coach who just beat Kentucky has said he doesn’t recruit high-schoolers anymore. Portal and juco only.
Greg Kampe. Been at Oakland University 40 years. But the portal for him included Jack Gohlke, who came from Division II Hillsdale. Not exactly a highly recruited player from a big-time program.

Last edited:
Once the free COVID year runs out, I think we'll see things settle down a bit.
I agree with you to a degree because 5 years of eligibility become 4 again, but it feels like it could actually get worse as players can now team up in the portal and offer instant solutions for coaches taking over programs - as long as the NIL money is there. And essentially blackmail their current coach / school.

I'm not certain the NCAA will be able to limit eligibility to a specific number of years, if challenged in the courts.
"I can play 15 years of college basketball as long as I am enrolled."

Greg Kampe. Been at Oakland University 40 years. But the portal for him included Jack Gohlke, who came from Division II Hillsdale. Not exactly a highly recruited player from a big-time program.

Gohlke's shot looks horrible - all the way until it goes in. One of the commentators had a great observation. He said the Kentucky's of the world are playing with young, highly rated recruits that will go onto NBA careers while the Oakland's that make the NCAA tournament are playing with 23-24 year olds who will never play pro. Experience and tough, knowledgeable defense can win at tournament time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT