ADVERTISEMENT

Collins has to go

No, it isn't. It's just a grossly overused quote falsely attributed to Einstein that has little to do with diagnosing insanity. Diagnostic symptoms of insanity can include repetition of nonsensical comments but don't include any expectation of results. The quote, stated differently, first arose out of Al-Anon and Narcotics Anonymous meetings. That may be true for substance abuse but not insanity.

Sorry for going "Sheldon" here, but the constant use of this fake quote on diagnosing insanity bugs me.

I'd give CCC another year. That might be insane, as would having Ryan Young repeatedly play PG, but to expect any sort of result is not a part of a diagnosis.

I'm happy to revise the phrase to "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - peatymeanis

Just delaying the process for another year.
Pretty much no chance he gets fired with all of the department transition. So both camps will have a chance to get what they want:
Pro: one more year
Anti: (possible) reckoning after next season
After a year of COVID, I can tolerate anything for one more year

I realize I am way outside the administrative loop, but why is it that NU didn’t have a new AD ready to go when the last one left. Also, why was the old AD allowed to extend Fitz’s contract (even as great a coach as I think Fitz is) immediately before he left. Shouldn’t that have been the responsibility of the new AD?

...Also, why was the old AD allowed to extend Fitz’s contract (even as great a coach as I think Fitz is) immediately before he left. Shouldn’t that have been the responsibility of the new AD?

Regardless of the process (or possibly lack thereof) in place to hire a new AD, Fitz was coming off one of the best seasons in school history and getting significant interest from NFL front offices back in December. It common place to extend your coach in this type of situation. Therefore, why would the university play the waiting game when the new AD would likely just sign him to the same extension that Phillips did?

Having Fitz locked up for the long term is a selling point for any potential AD who truly understands Northwestern athletics.

Last edited:
I believe it sets a bad precedent. What it Fitz we’re not a great coach, and merely average or just a good buddy of the outgoing AD.

I believe it sets a bad precedent. What it Fitz we’re not a great coach, and merely average or just a good buddy of the outgoing AD.
Huh???? So you have a valuable resource and you wait just to meet some bs parliamentary procedure? If the AD came in and questioned the Fitz extension, I would question their sanity.

It get what you’re saying and in majority of circumstances I’d agree, but this is a unique situation. Keeping Fitz in Evanston is more important than procedure. He is irreplaceable and his impact outweighs a precedent. Needlessly increasing the likelihood he would leave would have been reckless and any AD candidate would need to understand that prior to taking the job.

The man embodies Northwestern football. That should not be understated.

Let’s also not forget that this job is far from ideal in the minds of most of the coaching elite. Risking the stability (and enjoyment!) of a successful power 5 program at a place where barriers make it unlikely to occur is foolish. Doing that in the name of procedure, even more so.

Last edited:
... The man embodies Northwestern football. That should not be understated.

I'd be stunned if he didn't have a MAJOR influence on who is picked. I'm not sure it should be as obvious as a strong associate of Fitz, but I wouldn't complain if it was.

At worst, he should have veto power.

My ideal candidate would keep Fitz incredibly happy, but have a strong basketball and administration experience in major college athletics.

As I type, I'm also leaning toward keeping someone internally (Kevin White?) to save a couple bucks that you're going to eat on the CC contract ... pending the Fitz veto

While we're on the topic of the AD, let me throw this out and try to keep it low key in the middle of this long thread.

Earlier this week, I was surprised by some news from our friend, the incredibly rock solid source. I was told there is still a ways to go in the search for the AD. The first phase - the work with the search firm was only completed in the last week.

Three months for the search firm to whittle down the candidate list? Ugh.

While we're on the topic of the AD, let me throw this out and try to keep it low key in the middle of this long thread.

Earlier this week, I was surprised by some news from our friend, the incredibly rock solid source. I was told there is still a ways to go in the search for the AD. The first phase - the work with the search firm was only completed in the last week.

Three months for the search firm to whittle down the candidate list? Ugh.
What's the rush? Aside from the Collins issue, things are pretty copacetic at NU now. Facilities are world class (except the Stadium), sports are doing well, kids are getting record recognition as Academic All B1G......more important to make the right choice than to choose quickly. I imagine there are a plethora of candidates given the way Phillips elevated the program and sued it as a springboard to a bigger job.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Collins probably at least gets one more year under a new AD unless the new AD that is brought in is brought in to get rid of COllins and bring someone else in.....the most relevant point for me , and I do no know the answer, is do the kids still have confidence in him as a basketball coach? how do they process all those late game collapses?

Collins probably at least gets one more year under a new AD unless the new AD that is brought in is brought in to get rid of COllins and bring someone else in.....the most relevant point for me , and I do no know the answer, is do the kids still have confidence in him as a basketball coach? how do they process all those late game collapses?
I suggest you watch the last presser at the 5 minute mark. You're obviously wrong and we are good in late game situations

PS-I've admired how the players still seem to be with CC. While I think he is a subpar coach, that's no small feat

Reactions: NUCat320 and NJCat
No, it isn't. It's just a grossly overused quote falsely attributed to Einstein that has little to do with diagnosing insanity. Diagnostic symptoms of insanity can include repetition of nonsensical comments but don't include any expectation of results. The quote, stated differently, first arose out of Al-Anon and Narcotics Anonymous meetings. That may be true for substance abuse but not insanity.

Sorry for going "Sheldon" here, but the constant use of this fake quote on diagnosing insanity bugs me.

I'd give CCC another year. That might be insane, as would having Ryan Young repeatedly play PG, but to expect any sort of result is not a part of a diagnosis.

Glad, you’re right both on insanity and on Collins. Collins is sane. NU would be crazy to abandon him now. He coached a team to “0”positive Covid tests. His former boss couldn’t accomplish that at Duke. His press conference after a bad loss to MN was a class act !!! Next year will be better.

I'm happy to revise the phrase to "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - peatymeanis

Better, but that's inseparable from Gary Barnett's first three years of coaching at NU. Was Barnett stupid as well for losing those first three years because NU was and remains "no dumber than when we stunk"?

I'd like to give him another year but I have no problem with getting rid of CCC.

Last edited:
Next year has always been the make or break year for me. It's the end of the second major cycle of Collins' recruits, he needs to get them to the tourney next year or it's time.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Next year has always been the make or break year for me. It's the end of the second major cycle of Collins' recruits, he needs to get them to the tourney next year or it's time.

That’s where I tend to fall as well. The second cycle was supposed to build off the initial tournament appearance.

If the expectation of the Collins hire (as stated by Phillips) was to stop settling for the NCAA bubble and regular appearances in the NIT, I’m not sure how anyone could say those expectations have been met, even more so if Collins misses the postseason again in 2021-22.

That’s where I tend to fall as well. The second cycle was supposed to build off the initial tournament appearance.

If the expectation of the Collins hire (as stated by Phillips) was to stop settling for the NCAA bubble and regular appearances in the NIT, I’m not sure how anyone could say those expectations have been met, even more so if Collins misses the postseason again in 2021-22.
Well.... we don't have to worry about the NCAA bubble anymore. That's a lot of stress avoided.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT