ADVERTISEMENT

Collins staying, per Gragg

giphy.gif

Reasonable, though not the desired tact by Gragg.

"Necessary changes" leaves a lot to the imagination. Does CC even know what the heck to do? Does anyone?
Reads like Gragg wanted to make a move but couldn’t get approval to pay the buyout so we throw away one season and make a move a year from now.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
I have no idea what “necessary changes” are other than winning more, and no matter what’s going on in a program an AD shouldn’t be micromanaging a head coach. Nor do I think that’s what’s happening here. But it’s a pretty generic statement.

Reads like Gragg wanted to make a move but couldn’t get approval to pay the buyout so we throw away one season and make a move a year from now.
Exactly. There isn’t an AD in America that thinks a coach will figure it out on his own in Year 10. If he had any idea what “changes” were needed to succeed, wouldn’t he have made them already? This means either he can’t pay the buyout or he couldn’t find anyone else to take it that would be worth paying the buyout to hire

James has to go. He is just a baby sitter for Collins. He needs his security blanket taken away. Hire Baldwin back. Keep Battle and give BMac more responsibility along with Cobb. Get them ready for '23-'24 season.
Sounds awful

James has to go. He is just a baby sitter for Collins. He needs his security blanket taken away. Hire Baldwin back. Keep Battle and give BMac more responsibility along with Cobb. Get them ready for '23-'24 season.
Brian James is an excellent assistant coach. This is silly.

I too would like to find a way to get Baldwin back on staff and Mac/Cobb more substantive experience. Battle will be back if Buie is, and vice versa, I’d assume.

Not sure why you would want James to go. Seems like he has done a good job turning some pretty raw big men into solid players.

Yes, and not one of us has any idea what the details of the conversation consisted of. Presumably, considerably more than the brief statement issued by AD Gragg.
One would think, I would love to be a fly on the wall for that one.

Reactions: No Chores
I have no idea what “necessary changes” are other than winning more, and no matter what’s going on in a program an AD shouldn’t be micromanaging a head coach. Nor do I think that’s what’s happening here. But it’s a pretty generic statement.
Amen. Either you have confidence in your head coach or you do not. The ultimatum approach is for weenies and I wouldn't respect a coach who submits himself to this kind of arrangement.

CCC: "Challenge accepted!"

CCC proceeds to shit his pants
Why? One way or another Collins will gross $9 million over the next three years, whether he coaches all three or not. I doubt the Collins household is worried about their finances one bit.

How much money will he earn in the interim? Coaches always believe they can turn it around, even when they have already shown that they can't.

The money argument is BS. NU has plenty of money and has spent zillions on the sports programs and facilities. If they wanted to make a bold move they would have done it.

Amen. Either you have confidence in your head coach or you do not. The ultimatum approach is for weenies and I wouldn't respect a coach who submits himself to this kind of arrangement.
Why wouldn’t Gragg have just gone hard after Cuonzo Martin if he really wanted to fire Collins? I think Gragg and Collins both recognize Collins has done the heretofore impossible, showed some improvement in each recent year since the downturn, and can potentially get us to the NCAA again with this returning team if the chips fall our way. This hopefully provides some assurance to any player looking at making a move. (I presume they both know there will not be a mass exodus to the transfer portal). I’m sure they both know it’s still not an easy task, so a little added pressure for Collins is not a bad thing.

• Haha
Reactions: peatymeanis
Why wouldn’t Gragg have just gone hard after Cuonzo Martin if he really wanted to fire Collins? I think Gragg and Collins both recognize Collins has done the heretofore impossible, showed some improvement in each recent year since the downturn, and can potentially get us to the NCAA again with this returning team if the chips fall our way. This hopefully provides some assurance to any player looking at making a move. (I presume they both know there will not be a mass exodus to the transfer portal). I’m sure they both know it’s still not an easy task, so a little added pressure for Collins is not a bad thing.
Buyout $ and you also assume Martin would want to come here.

This reads similar to the Harbaugh comeback and the Frost changes, except those both had changes in salary. But basically win or else

Amazing how a program that fired the last coach because they wanted to start playing with the big boys suddenly can't find any big-boy money in the coffers to dump this one. Disappointed, but not surprised. NCAA or bust next year. No exceptions, no extenuating circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT