ADVERTISEMENT

Collins to Notre Dame (my guess)

7th Cir. Cat

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
With Mike Brey announcing he's stepping down I think if we continue on our current trajectory and win 18+ games and sneak into the tournament then Collins will be a serious candidate for the ND job. ND fancies themselves as a "Chicago" school, Collins is an outstanding recruiter who would be even better without NU's academic restrictions. He will play well with the Troy Murphy/Luke Harrangody crowd, he's Irish and he knows how to recruit the midwest and Atlantic Coast. His stock will be sky-high and he'll have a ton of leverage.

Gragg will never get to hire a football coach so he may want to put his stamp on NU by choosing it's basketball coach. Who knows if our AD will go all out to keep him (even after what looks to be a successful season)

You heard it here first.

Is this baseless speculation? Yes. But we have no games this week because of COVID so this feels like Hot Stove time.

I had the same thought.

Thought numero dos on Brey ... if I'm Gragg, I make a few calls to make sure Brey is truly retired and not pushed out the door.

My gut says Notre Dame would shoot higher, but certainly not completely out of the realm of possibility, especially if we have a good season and sneak into the tourney.

I was thinking Collins too. They need to get someone who comes from a Duke, NU, Stanford, Vandy-type setting. Fran McCaffrey, a former Digger and McLeod assistant there would probably take it, but doubt they would offer him. He has too much volatile baggage. He’s worse than BK was on their football sidelines. All bets are off if Tommy Amaker makes himself available. Don’t see any big time winning HCs taking a chance at ND.

Last edited:
If Collins has a wildly successful year, my guess would be that he stays at NU, even if wooed by ND. He's a Chicago boy.

Reactions: drewjin
I never understand this logic. ND barely cares about academics for athletes, and certainly not at NU and Stanford levels. (Also, Duke 100% doesn’t care about grades for basketball.)
Agree but they have “character” standards. If you are a five star recruit with several domestic abuse charges you’re getting offers from SEC schools but not Notre Dame (or us).

Reactions: drewjin
With Mike Brey announcing he's stepping down I think if we continue on our current trajectory and win 18+ games and sneak into the tournament then Collins will be a serious candidate for the ND job. ND fancies themselves as a "Chicago" school, Collins is an outstanding recruiter who would be even better without NU's academic restrictions. He will play well with the Troy Murphy/Luke Harrangody crowd, he's Irish and he knows how to recruit the midwest and Atlantic Coast. His stock will be sky-high and he'll have a ton of leverage.

Gragg will never get to hire a football coach so he may want to put his stamp on NU by choosing it's basketball coach. Who knows if our AD will go all out to keep him (even after what looks to be a successful season)

You heard it here first.

Is this baseless speculation? Yes. But we have no games this week because of COVID so this feels like Hot Stove time.

He’s no Irish

This thread is hilarious. Collins will never coach P6 again. He's a one hit wonder. He'll end up on BTN or something

He definitely could. Succeed in an Ivy League job or another midmajor and all of a sudden he’s the guy who took Northwestern to its first tournament and rebuilt another program (with bad years made less significant). I think Collins should be fired if we don’t make the NCAA or come very close this year, but let’s not go too far …

He definitely could. Succeed in an Ivy League job or another midmajor and all of a sudden he’s the guy who took Northwestern to its first tournament and rebuilt another program (with bad years made less significant). I think Collins should be fired if we don’t make the NCAA or come very close this year, but let’s not go too far …
Yeah, that's why I said 'not P6'. He might be ok at a mid major. Might

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

I really like what Shrewsberry has started at Penn State and I think he’d be a good name there. I know nothing except what’s on his Wikipedia page and that I like him in postgame interviews.

I’m surprised to see that Shrewsberry had no head coaching experience prior to PSU. I recall that CCC was the first B1G in decades that had come in without head experience.

Last edited:

You heard it here first.

Lol, okay, I accept your absurd scenerio.

You said he will “never” coach at a P6 again. I think there are several scenarios where he would.
To be clear, I mean head coach. But I re read your post and you mean succeed at a lower level in some sort of rehab post and become hot property again. Yeah, no way. He' just not good. To paraphrase Bob Barker and Happy Gilmore, I think he should be working at the snack bar

Reactions: mountaindrew
To be clear, I mean head coach. But I re read your post and you mean succeed at a lower level in some sort of rehab post and become hot property again. Yeah, no way. He' just not good. To paraphrase Bob Barker and Happy Gilmore, I think he should be working at the snack bar
This gets my vote for most uninformed and hateful post of the year.

I don't see how Collins has had enough success here to excite any other fanbase let alone one coming off a tenure like Brey's...

Even if we somehow make the tournament this year, he's a sub 0.500 coach overall with a 0.34 winning record in the Big Ten. There's just no way to justify that move off of 2 NCAA tournament bids in 10 years (assuming we get a bid this year).

I'm in the camp that if Collins leaves here, it's because he's let go here and I doubt he coaches anywhere near the Power 5 as his next stop.

I don't see how Collins has had enough success here to excite any other fanbase let alone one coming off a tenure like Brey's...

Even if we somehow make the tournament this year, he's a sub 0.500 coach overall with a 0.34 winning record in the Big Ten. There's just no way to justify that move off of 2 NCAA tournament bids in 10 years (assuming we get a bid this year).

I'm in the camp that if Collins leaves here, it's because he's let go here and I doubt he coaches anywhere near the Power 5 as his next stop.
Well - given he’s coaching with at least one hand tied behind his back relative to every other BIG team, maybe the record isn’t the best indicator of his competence.

Well - given he’s coaching with at least one hand tied behind his back relative to every other BIG team, maybe the record isn’t the best indicator of his competence.
And yet, it was producing regular NIT appearances until we got the one Dance and then nothing got a decade.

Back in the build up years, we talked about dancing to be left with NIT. When did we last contemplate a post season?

I don’t remember anyone have this many excuses to justify BC and now BC has produced better except for that dance with recruits from both coaches.

Wasn’t a BC guy at the end. Still not drinking the ccc koolaid.

Reactions: Katatonic
Agree but they have “character” standards. If you are a five star recruit with several domestic abuse charges you’re getting offers from SEC schools but not Notre Dame (or us).
Indeed. But they wouldn’t need to target a former NU coach for their familiarity with academic recruiting restrictions. They can just tell whoever they bring in to not recruit “low character” guys.

Just like every other head BB Coach we have ever had. I see a pattern here.

Okay... even if you accept that premise, no Power 5 program is going to offer to take him off our hands on the theory that he could do much better than he's done here with no prior proof.

It'd be one thing if we'd taken him after he took a non-Power 5 team to the tournament or something, but this is his first head coaching stop. This is the only evidence we have of his coaching ability.

Nobody is taking him off our hands unless he miraculously turns this around in the next couple of seasons. Past 9 seasons certainly doesn't justify anything like that.

Going to the NCAAT this year and again in the next 2 seasons? Then sure, he'd be a hot commodity again. Other than that, no, his next coaching stop will be nowhere close to the Power 5. He'll have to prove himself in a much lower profile position.

You said he will “never” coach at a P6 again. I think there are several scenarios where he would.
There are always scenarios where he could, but let's be clear, it's highly, highly unlikely that he would get back to this level.

He'd have to go and prove himself at a mid-major or below and climb back up. Could happen yes, but evidence is always against those types of career resuscitations. If Collins wants to stay at the Power 5, then he needs to make it work here in the next few years.

And yet, it was producing regular NIT appearances until we got the one Dance and then nothing got a decade.

Back in the build up years, we talked about dancing to be left with NIT. When did we last contemplate a post season?

I don’t remember anyone have this many excuses to justify BC and now BC has produced better except for that dance with recruits from both coaches.

Wasn’t a BC guy at the end. Still not drinking the ccc koolaid.
I am so sick of the recruiting restrictions excuses. He had his guys and failed. Also, I am sick of the supposition that EVERY OTHER P6 program cheats and we are stuck with Marquess of Queensbury rules. Edit: I do not blame NU for hiring Collins. BC had plateaued. Also do not criticize the extension, although lengthy. He had an upward trajectory and surely would have left

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
If I am CCC and ND offers me, they can pay me $10 a year and I would jump at the offer.
Agreed. If CCC gets an ND offer, he should take it immediately because of the fresh start/clean slate that it would offer (as well as significantly lowered recruiting restrictions). I obviously don't believe any such offer is even close to consideration unless we make a deep NCAAT run, but given his tenure here is not on the most stable of foundations (7 losing seasons out of 9 total and 1 NCAAT bid), he should take pretty much any Power 5 parachute on offer.

Of course, there's no real basis for such an offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT