ADVERTISEMENT

Comment From a Michigan Fan

WOODSON4LIFE

Oct 7, 2008
I just wanted to say..there is not a team I will root harder for the remainder of the year than Northwestern.

From the build-up throughout the week, to game time to the game and post game. We as Michigan fans couldn't have asked for a classier opponent.

Last year (at least I think it was last year) when you guys outplayed Ohio State I became a fan of Northwestern although I had always had immense amounts of respect but watching you guys play last year left me with a feeling that Fitz is doing it the right way.. with the right players...

This past weekend in an away game you guys hit your "bump" on the road... but I truly feel like that is all it is.
(Hell ..Michigan might meet their "bump" this week against MSU)

But anyway.. continued success for the remainder of the season... and please know, it was great to watch that game with my young kids.. watch what true "Sportsmanship" is and say proudly... how much I like Northwestern.

I just wanted to say..there is not a team I will root harder for the remainder of the year than Northwestern.

From the build-up throughout the week, to game time to the game and post game. We as Michigan fans couldn't have asked for a classier opponent.

Last year (at least I think it was last year) when you guys outplayed Ohio State I became a fan of Northwestern although I had always had immense amounts of respect but watching you guys play last year left me with a feeling that Fitz is doing it the right way.. with the right players...

This past weekend in an away game you guys hit your "bump" on the road... but I truly feel like that is all it is.
(Hell ..Michigan might meet their "bump" this week against MSU)

But anyway.. continued success for the remainder of the season... and please know, it was great to watch that game with my young kids.. watch what true "Sportsmanship" is and say proudly... how much I like Northwestern.
First class post a and appreciated! Good luck the rest of the way

Ditto. As painful as it was to watch, we were outplayed from the opening whistle. Hope the boys can bounce back.

Hey, Woodson, I must concur. We are a pretty classy group. However I do not think you will Hit a bump against MSU. After last weeks game I think you will beat them easily. They have been underperforming all year.

Reactions: WOODSON4LIFE
What a decent guy FWIW, I think Michigan is the best team in the conference right now.

I am trying to figure out a rebuttal.. but honestly I am surprised we have ramped up so quickly and are even pondering the idea of competing (much less maybe beating) both MSU and OSU.
But like I said.. still waiting for our "bump" to hit.

Ditto. As painful as it was to watch, we were outplayed from the opening whistle. Hope the boys can bounce back.
I think you guys will be fine. That win over Stanford is going to play an even larger role as the season progresses.. and eventually one of our signature games will help or hurt us when Utah Plays Stanford.

On another note... and why I hold Fitz and Northwestern in such high regard is the fact that you are performing and competing at a very high level with high caliber STUDENT athletes.. and doing so in a "clean" way. Some programs will be highlighted in the coming months and years as not being so clean.. as Wildcat fans despite the occasional losses.. at least you can sleep well at night knowing you have coaches, staff and players that are doing it the "right" way.

(the last paragraph was simply noting that although I am sure no program is 100% clean on everything.. some programs foster a culture of "gaining an edge" and it demeans the work of those who actually "work")

I am trying to figure out a rebuttal.. but honestly I am surprised we have ramped up so quickly and are even pondering the idea of competing (much less maybe beating) both MSU and OSU.

Even the best teams will serve up a stinker during the course of a season. Does not mean that they will lose the game, but be vulnerable.

I was there on Saturday and, having grown up in this area, I wasn't surprised that the fans were very classy. Fans said hi and welcomed us to Ann Arbor. After the game, people were very nice and taunt free unlike some other Big Ten cities.

Was talking about this with my buddy the other day... I honestly think we may have lost to the eventual conference champion last week. I think you guys throttle MSU next week (their OL is looking even worse than ours) and OSU hasn't exactly looked like world beaters on offense this year (my goodness do they miss Tom Herman, who's doing some great things down in Houston already).

Was talking about this with my buddy the other day... I honestly think we may have lost to the eventual conference champion last week. I think you guys throttle MSU next week (their OL is looking even worse than ours) and OSU hasn't exactly looked like world beaters on offense this year (my goodness do they miss Tom Herman, who's doing some great things down in Houston already).
I agree with several points.
If we hadn't of been able to land Harbaugh.. I felt like Tom Herman would have been my second choice (over Les Miles and well.. anyone else)
I think he is an unbelievable coach and I felt like he contributed an overwhelming amount to being able to juggle 3 qbs to a national Championship.

If we hadn't of been able to land Harbaugh.. I felt like Tom Herman would have been my second choice (over Les Miles and well.. anyone else).

Somehow the thought of a Buckeye coach jumping to "that school up north" is pretty bizarre..........

Somehow the thought of a Buckeye coach jumping to "that school up north" is pretty bizarre..........
Ahhh.. but it would have also been a little bit of history repeating itself like when Bo Schembechler left as an OSU assistant under Woody Hayes to become Head Coach at Michigan. (and still to this day be considered an "all time great")

Ahhh.. but it would have also been a little bit of history repeating itself like when Bo Schembechler left as an OSU assistant under Woody Hayes to become Head Coach at Michigan. (and still to this day be considered an "all time great")

I grew up in Ohio and always felt that the rivalry grew hair when Woody and Bo were coaching.........

I grew up in Ohio and always felt that the rivalry grew hair when Woody and Bo were coaching.........
I am really sorry I didn't pick up on the sarcasm.. now I feel like a tool.
Was thinking some may not know about that part of history. I agree..and now.. the 2nd ten year war with Urban and Harbaugh.

By the way.. kudos to fitz on the handshake of our player after being rejected. Showed a lot of class. I didn't actually see the hit (and still wondering how I missed it.. but it sounds like it was a good call by rule.)

Bo was at Miami (O) when he came to UM.

Bo was at Miami (O) when he came to UM.
True.. but I was mostly referring to his time as an assistant under Woody at Ohio State.

I really really don't like them for multiple reasons.... so I was sooo happy to see Herman leave.

Thank you to all.. and sincerely.. Keep going and keep winning.

By the way.. kudos to fitz on the handshake of our player after being rejected. Showed a lot of class. I didn't actually see the hit (and still wondering how I missed it.. but it sounds like it was a good call by rule.)

A few years ago that hit was just football. Most the targeting calls these days aren't on malicious plays but inadvertent reversions back to what football used to be.

best of luck to the Wildcats. I suspect Michigan was just a bad matchup for them and they bounce back strong the rest of the way.

Reactions: rmndcat
I agree with several points.
If we hadn't of been able to land Harbaugh.. I felt like Tom Herman would have been my second choice (over Les Miles and well.. anyone else)
I think he is an unbelievable coach and I felt like he contributed an overwhelming amount to being able to juggle 3 qbs to a national Championship.
I thought Hoke got a bit of a raw deal. What he was left with when he took over was not FB recruits that fit his system. First year he had Carr recruits remaining but by the end, his upperclassmen were RichRod guys and did not fit. Now they are upperclassmen and Harbaugh is able to use them effectively. That said, they still did not have the right QB and you were able to get a 5th year senior transfer. It has taken a few weeks for him to work into the system, but now he has.

I was there on Saturday and, having grown up in this area, I wasn't surprised that the fans were very classy. Fans said hi and welcomed us to Ann Arbor. After the game, people were very nice and taunt free unlike some other Big Ten cities.
Had the same experience; it almost felt like I was in Lincoln.

I thought Hoke got a bit of a raw deal. What he was left with when he took over was not FB recruits that fit his system. First year he had Carr recruits remaining but by the end, his upperclassmen were RichRod guys and did not fit. Now they are upperclassmen and Harbaugh is able to use them effectively. That said, they still did not have the right QB and you were able to get a 5th year senior transfer. It has taken a few weeks for him to work into the system, but now he has.
In many ways you are correct. I think was a victim of his own success to some degree.
I think first off the success he had at San Diego State where they overachieved behind an great tandem of of QB and RB. But comes to Michigan his dream job and I think has the success of winning the Sugar Bowl with Denard. The problem was Michigan never had a dedicated QB coach.. and thus even though Gardner was more able to handle a pro style that Hoke wanted.. he wasn't able to learn the position as he should have. Plus the Offensive line coach was such a dear friend of Hoke that despite the on-field performance and obvious lack of teaching basic fundamental techniques to the offensive lineman it made it impossible for Gardner to have time in the pocket to pass..and because the blocking was so bad.. added pressure was on him because we couldn't run.

in essence Hoke was a good guy who wanted to keep his staff intact..and coupled with the Shane Morris concussion.. the writing was on the wall. I actually REALLY like Hoke..and it showed his passion for Defense with how it became amazing during his tenure..

However.. to your point.. I will ask.. if Harbaugh had inherited Rich Rod's team.. do you think he would have the same record as Hoke? Definitely not.. Michigan found the best coach available in any league and landed him. Hoke never stood a chance.

It was the correct call by rule as the player had the opportunity to pull up. However, it did not appear malicious and your player also showed class in exiting the field without a childish demonstration. If you want to see an example of such a childish demonstration after an ejection, check out the NU/Cal game from three years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT